Dai's....err...Christmas Cracker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaiJones

Dai's....err...Christmas Cracker

Post by DaiJones »

1-The author of bestselling book MAN ON FIRE chose his pseudonym in honour of which former Wigan player's dad?

2-Which Wigan forward did Gaby Roslin reveal she fancied in an episode of the Big Breakfast in 1992?

3-Whose tooth ended Jamie Ainscough's career?

4-Which then Wigan youngster inadvertently paraded fully frontally naked on Granada TV one afternoon in 1990?

5-Which ex Wigan prop was the first person in Britain to be arrested by police using CS gas?

6-At 6'7", who was Wigan's tallest player?

7-Which former Wigan legend does not celebrate Christmas or watch TV?

8-Name Wigan players who have won both the Harry Sunderland and Lance Todd trophies but not necessarily with us?

9-Which ex Wigan player represented Italy against Greece at rugby league?

10-And which former utility back subsequently played rugby union for Croatia?

11-Which two Wigan players once appeared in an episode of EMMERDALE?

12-What do the following players have in common: Tuigamala, Orr, Botica, Haughton, Wes Davies, Neil Baynes?

13-Which (briefly) Wigan player won the 1996 England Schools 100m in a time of 10.48 seconds?

14-Which Wigan forward received seven successive punches to the face from Gorden Tallis in a 1997 World Club Challenge fixture?

15- Who did he say hit harder than big Gorden?

16-Which Wigan forward had an altercation with Stuart Raper in what the Guardian hilariously called "top Wigan nightspot The Cherry Gardens"?

17-Which 80s Wigan star won a holiday courtesy of Paul Daniels on EVERY SECOND COUNTS?

18-Who had the following nicknames:-a)Bond b)Giz c)Lager d)Chicka e)BA f)Foo ?

19-Which Wigan player got his head stuck after headbutting a wall after the 1994 Challenge Cup Final according to a recent book?

20-Who was once interviewed on a bed by the late Paula Yates?

21-Name the Wigan player sent off twice in a weekend in 1989?

22-Which two Aussie superstars-about twelve years apart-"signed" for Wigan but never actually showed up?

23-Attach the middle name to the Wigan legend:- a)Cuthwyn b)Nwokacha c)Thorpe d)Lealuga

24-Which former Wigan stand off was alleged to have tried to set fire to a young boy dressed in a dolphin suit in Australia?

25-Who, in the 2004 squad was a)a law graduate b)a qualified joiner c)owns a coffee shop d)is studying Physio at university?

26-Which two Wigan players have had their homes ransacked by Loyd Grossman for THROUGH THE KEYHOLE?

27-Which Wigan player was dropped as a subject for THIS IS YOUR LIFE because his mum let the cat out of the bag?

28-And which of his colleagues did the BBC replace him with?

29-Which 2004 squad member shared a former celebrity girlfriend with Stan Collymore?

30-What was the only thing Billy McGinty was wearing when he met John Major at Wembley in 1992?

31-Which of these Wigan players has never released a record:-Offiah, Edwards, Henry Paul or Henderson Gill?

32-Who joined Wigan for £100,000 in 1986?

33-Who did jockey Frankie Dettori suggest he could ride when they appeared together on QUESTION OF SPORT some years ago?

34-Name the player: scored in first minute of test debut AGAINST GB, tries in two Challenge Cup finals, one Premiership final and one World Club Challenge, man of the match in a Boxing Day win over Saints and has reputedly played representative RL for three different countries?

35-Which "insatiable" and "adventurous" Wigan pin up lost out to Union forward Danny Grewcock in a Sunday People Battle of The Kiss N Tells in November 2004?

36-Which Wigan player is chiefly responsible for the weight loss of golfer Darren Clark and cricketer Andy Flintoff?

37-What schoolboy acheivement did Shaun Edwards, Simon Haughton and Joe Lydon share?

38-Whose signing did John Monie sourly greet with the words "I would rather have had Phil Blake"?

39-According to WISDEN, which Wigan forward beat cricketer David Boon's record for beer can consumption on a long haul flight when flying back from Australia in 1994?

40-Denis Betts was on forms with which Premiership football club as a schoolboy?
DaiJones

Re: Dai's....err...Christmas C...

Post by DaiJones »

Sorry guys this probably won't seem like such a good idea in the cold light of day, but since I seem to have spent a large chunk of this year writing quirky quiz questions for a living, I thought I'd give you lot the "benefit" of my experience!!

I'm sure you'll all sensibly give this post a wide berth but there may be a few questions in there to make a welcome break from watching The Vicar of Dibley over the next few days and spark a discussion. If anyone is bored enough to tackle this waste of space feel free and I'll tell you the answers at some time in the future. Most answers can have err...a tin of Uncle Joes or maybe a signed Mrs Lam photo....Good Luck and sorry, I meant well but really must stop drinking.....why not just take me off the board?
MrsLam

Re: Dai's....err...Christm...

Post by MrsLam »

So much writing DaiJones how are you even managing to type for that long without getting distracted by...ooh pretty christmas lights...
I read the first few lines but then my eyes gave in and a whole day at work and a few malibu/southern comforts just made the letter just blur into black smudges but anyway people have fun, be merry and safe and get very drunk
MERRYYYYYYYYYY CHRISTMASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

People don't get taken off the board for non rugby related posts or I'd have gone a few months back!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

These are hard questions.

Here are my answers and guesses for the first few - will complete later in the festive season:

1. -
2. -
3. Martin Gleeson's
4. Blooby Goudling
5. Barrie McDermott
6. Graeme West (I've got him as 6'5") BJ Mather (198cm = 6'6"ish)
7. Vai'aga Tuigamala (guess)
8. Andy Farrell, Kris Radlinski, Jason Robinson
9. Greg Florimo
10. Frano Botica
11. Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah
12. played RU before or after playing ofr Wigan (guess)
13. Paul Sampson?
14. Terry O'Connor
15. His wife
16. -
17. -
18. Giz - Shaun Edwards?, Chicka - John Ferguson
19. -
20. Martin Offiah
21. -
22. Wendell Sailor and ?
23. Thorpe - Jason Robinson, Lealuga - Vaiga Tuigamala
24. Julian O'Neill
25. Law - Brian Carney, Joiner - Mick Cassidy?, Physio - Chris Melling
26. Adrian Lam, Martin Offiah
27. Andy Gregory?
28. Dean Bell
30. Sock
31. Edwards
32. Joe Lydon
33. Andy Farrell
34. Va'aiga Tuigamala?
35. -
36. Phill Clarke (sport science firm?)
37. Dual code schoolboy internationals
38. Frano Botica
40. Man Utd?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike posted:
These are hard questions.

Here are my answers and guesses for the first few - will complete later in the festive season:

1. -
2. -
3. Martin Gleeson's
4. Blooby Goudling
5. Barrie McDermott
6. Graeme West
7. Vai'aga Tuigamala (guess)
8. Andy Farrell?
9. Greg Florimo
10. -
11. Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah
12. played RU before or after playing ofr Wigan (guess)
13. Paul Sampson?
14. Mick Cassidy?
15. His Mother?
16. -
17. -
Mike,

Add in No 10 Frano Botica and no it wasn't Mick Cassidy it was Terry o'Connor and it was his wife who hits him harder!!. The tallest player to play for Wigan was surely Barrie Jon Mather, trust DaiJones to slip in a Welsh hero when they still had heroes

Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
johnsons_babexx

Post by johnsons_babexx »

1.?
2.?
3.martin gleeson
4.?
5.barrie mcdermot
6.barrie jon mather
7.?
8.sean long, kris radlinski
9.greg florimo
10.frano botica
11.martin offiah,gary connolly
12.all played union at some point in their careers
13.rob smyth
14.terry o'connor
15.his wife
16.?
17.?
18.?
19.neil cowie
20.martin offiah
21.?
22.?
23.b)matin offiah
24.julian o'neil
25.brian carney
26.adrian lam,?
27.?
28.shaun edwards
29.gary connolly
30.?
31.edwards
32.?
33.?
34.?
35.brian carney
36.?
37.top try scorer in junior leagues
38.?
39.?
40.manchester united

ive got far much time on me hands lol
Officially PJ'sNo.1.Fan!!

1/3 of the original Nobby's girls - we have the t-shirts to prove it!!!!!

AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

1. Scott Quinnell
7. Ellery Hanley (guess)
16. Danny Sculthorpe (allegedly)
21. Steve Hampson (definitely)
22. One was Wendell Sailor
30. A mischievous grin?
36. Steve Hampson.
A great quiz - what a good idea.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ian.birchall posted:

The tallest player to play for Wigan was surely Barrie Jon Mather, trust DaiJones to slip in a Welsh hero when they still had heroes
I thought BJ was born in Blackpool?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
silver surfer

Post by silver surfer »

I'll add my twopennyworth
No. 17. Nick du Toit won the holiday
No. 18. Mark Preston (Bond)
No. 22. I think the other one was Wally Lewis
No. 23a. Ellery Hanley's middle name was Cuthwyn
No. 30. This was definitely a pineapple ring. (I'll leave the position of it to your imagination.)
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike,
The answer to Q36 is our old trampolining full back Steve Hampson who is now a personal fitness coach to the great and good who want to be better but a little less great.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.