Dai's....err...Christmas Cracker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Dai's....err...Christm...

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike posted:
ian.birchall posted:

The tallest player to play for Wigan was surely Barrie Jon Mather, trust DaiJones to slip in a Welsh hero when they still had heroes
I thought BJ was born in Blackpool?
BJ was born in Blackpool but its the name that makes him a Welsh hero to Dai, the Barry John is the dead giveaway.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

Mike posted:
ian.birchall posted:

The tallest player to play for Wigan was surely Barrie Jon Mather, trust DaiJones to slip in a Welsh hero when they still had heroes
I thought BJ was born in Blackpool?

Yey someone else who was born in that place!!!!!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

Q25 joiner- that could be mick or fazzer because they studied it together while training for wigan as a back up plan incase they never made the first team. I know its hard to imagne a team without one of them in it.
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
AncientWarrior

Re: Dai's....err...Christmas C...

Post by AncientWarrior »

18 (e) BA = Bad Attitude = Andy Goodway
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Answers please Dai...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

DaiJones posted:
1-The author of bestselling book MAN ON FIRE chose his pseudonym in honour of which former Wigan player's dad?

2-Which Wigan forward did Gaby Roslin reveal she fancied in an episode of the Big Breakfast in 1992?

3-Whose tooth ended Jamie Ainscough's career?

4-Which then Wigan youngster inadvertently paraded fully frontally naked on Granada TV one afternoon in 1990?

5-Which ex Wigan prop was the first person in Britain to be arrested by police using CS gas?

6-At 6'7", who was Wigan's tallest player?

7-Which former Wigan legend does not celebrate Christmas or watch TV?

8-Name Wigan players who have won both the Harry Sunderland and Lance Todd trophies but not necessarily with us?

9-Which ex Wigan player represented Italy against Greece at rugby league?

10-And which former utility back subsequently played rugby union for Croatia?

11-Which two Wigan players once appeared in an episode of EMMERDALE?

12-What do the following players have in common: Tuigamala, Orr, Botica, Haughton, Wes Davies, Neil Baynes?

13-Which (briefly) Wigan player won the 1996 England Schools 100m in a time of 10.48 seconds?

14-Which Wigan forward received seven successive punches to the face from Gorden Tallis in a 1997 World Club Challenge fixture?

15- Who did he say hit harder than big Gorden?

16-Which Wigan forward had an altercation with Stuart Raper in what the Guardian hilariously called "top Wigan nightspot The Cherry Gardens"?

17-Which 80s Wigan star won a holiday courtesy of Paul Daniels on EVERY SECOND COUNTS?

18-Who had the following nicknames:-a)Bond b)Giz c)Lager d)Chicka e)BA f)Foo ?

19-Which Wigan player got his head stuck after headbutting a wall after the 1994 Challenge Cup Final according to a recent book?

20-Who was once interviewed on a bed by the late Paula Yates?

21-Name the Wigan player sent off twice in a weekend in 1989?

22-Which two Aussie superstars-about twelve years apart-"signed" for Wigan but never actually showed up?

23-Attach the middle name to the Wigan legend:- a)Cuthwyn b)Nwokacha c)Thorpe d)Lealuga

24-Which former Wigan stand off was alleged to have tried to set fire to a young boy dressed in a dolphin suit in Australia?

25-Who, in the 2004 squad was a)a law graduate b)a qualified joiner c)owns a coffee shop d)is studying Physio at university?

26-Which two Wigan players have had their homes ransacked by Loyd Grossman for THROUGH THE KEYHOLE?

27-Which Wigan player was dropped as a subject for THIS IS YOUR LIFE because his mum let the cat out of the bag?

28-And which of his colleagues did the BBC replace him with?

29-Which 2004 squad member shared a former celebrity girlfriend with Stan Collymore?

30-What was the only thing Billy McGinty was wearing when he met John Major at Wembley in 1992?

31-Which of these Wigan players has never released a record:-Offiah, Edwards, Henry Paul or Henderson Gill?

32-Who joined Wigan for £100,000 in 1986?

33-Who did jockey Frankie Dettori suggest he could ride when they appeared together on QUESTION OF SPORT some years ago?

34-Name the player: scored in first minute of test debut AGAINST GB, tries in two Challenge Cup finals, one Premiership final and one World Club Challenge, man of the match in a Boxing Day win over Saints and has reputedly played representative RL for three different countries?

35-Which "insatiable" and "adventurous" Wigan pin up lost out to Union forward Danny Grewcock in a Sunday People Battle of The Kiss N Tells in November 2004?

36-Which Wigan player is chiefly responsible for the weight loss of golfer Darren Clark and cricketer Andy Flintoff?

37-What schoolboy acheivement did Shaun Edwards, Simon Haughton and Joe Lydon share?

38-Whose signing did John Monie sourly greet with the words "I would rather have had Phil Blake"?

39-According to WISDEN, which Wigan forward beat cricketer David Boon's record for beer can consumption on a long haul flight when flying back from Australia in 1994?

40-Denis Betts was on forms with which Premiership football club as a schoolboy?
this is 1 hell of a quiz here are my guesses

1)?
2)?
3)Martin Gleeson
4)Bobby Goulding
5)Barry Macdermott
6)Graeme west
7)?
8)?
9)Greg Florimo
10)Frano Botica
11)Offiah/Edwards
12)?
13)Geoff Clare
14)Terry o Connor
15) His wife
16)?
17)?
18)mark preston sean edwards gary connolly john ferguson ? ?
19)?
20?
21) Steve hampson gb&wigan
22)?
23)?
24)?
25)?
26)?
27)?
28)?
29)?
30) a pineapple ring
31)?
32?
33)?
34)?
35)?
36) steve hampson
37)?
38) Frano botica
39)
40)Man utd
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

OK here are the answers and happy new year guys:-

1)Scott Quinnell 2)Denis Betts 3)Martin Gleeson
4)Bobby Goulding 5)Barrie McDermott 6)Barrie-Jon Mather 7)Jason Robinson 8)Joe Lydon, Kris Radlinski, Sean Long, Henry Paul, Jason Robinson 9)Greg Florimo
10) Frano Botica 11)Gary Connolly & Martin Offiah
12)They all scored a try on their first team debut
13)Paul Sampson 14)Terry O'Connor 15)His wife 16)Ricky Bibey 17)Nick du Toit 18)a-Mark Preston b-Shaun Edwards c-Gary Connolly d-John Ferguson e-Andy Goodway f-Scott Quinnell 19)Neil Cowie 20)Ellery Hanley 21)Steve Hampson 22)Wally Lewis & Wendell Sailor 23)a-Hanley b-Offiah c-Jason Robinson d-Tuigamala 24)Julian O'Neill 25)a-Brian Carney b-Andy Farrell c-Kris Radlinski d-Chris Melling 26-Adrian Lam & Martin Offiah 27-Martin Offiah 28-Dean Bell
29-Paul Sampson 30-A pineapple ring 31-Shaun Edwards
32-Joe Lydon 33-Va'aiga Tuigamala 34-Sam Panapa 35-Brian Carney 36-Steve Hampson 37-They were selected for England Schools at Union and League 38-Frano Botica 39-Neil Cowie 40-Manchester United

NB BJ Mather is sometimes listed at 6'6" and sometimes 6'7" but he is always included in the tallest Challenge Cup Finalist stat along with John Harrison (Sts) and Wayne McDonald (both 6'7"). I met him once and he is at least 6'6", possibly two inches more standing up straight in a pair of stout walking shoes and thick woollen socks.Ray French almost called him "6ft 7 BJ Mather" as a matter of course but we don't believe anything he says obviously. He was born in Wigan but brought up in Blackpool and was indeed named after 'The King', Ian.

Well done everyone who had a go, good knowledge. Hope you all had a good Wigan Christmas. I was forced to watch Latics on Boxing Day (dismal I almost rang one of those TV carelines they flash up during Corrie if you are having a Christmas Crisis I was so upset at the passing of Wigan Saints matches on that day.