Royce Simmons complains to RFL over repeated high tackles on James Graham

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Royce Simmons complains to RFL over repeated high tackles on James Graham

Post by josie andrews »

ROYCE Simmons has raised concerns with the RFL over high tackles he believes are being repeatedly meted out to his star prop forward James Graham.

The England front rower has been struggling in recent weeks with back spasms caused by a bulging disc in his neck that has frequently flared up.

Simmons, who says Graham has also had bouts of concussion as a result of head tackles, this week raised concerns with match officials director Stuart Cummings.

The Saints coach said: “I rang Stuart Cummings the other day because he (Graham) has been copping a few round the melon quite regularly from game to game.

“I said to Stuart ‘I don’t want to embarrass James and he doesn’t know I’m ringing (but) he has had concussion for about four weeks in a row’.

“It is slight concussion that leads to whiplash and neck problems so I asked Stuart to have a look at it and he said they were on to it.”

Simmons stopped short of saying his influential metre maker was being hit high deliberately, but pointed out he has been on the end of some rough tactics.

“I think teams are very aggressive against him when he carries the ball, so when you are very aggressive you will get one that strays up around the chin,” said Simmons.

“I’m not saying anyone goes to do it deliberately but I’m saying he has had a few little hits.”

With Cummings admitting to Simmons that the game’s governing body are aware of the high tackles it would be expected referees will be briefed on the issue.

In a statement released to the Star, Cummings said: “We provide coaches with reviews of their games every week and we are always available to have conversations about any issues which they feel are arising.

“Contact with the head in the tackle area is something we do monitor closely already and we will continue to do so.”

The prop’s injury problems do appear to have eased this week and he is expected to take his place against Huddersfield.

Simmons played down any long-term concerns over the fitness of Graham, who will depart for the NRL at the end of this season.

Meanwhile, Wellens saluted the courage of James Graham after the prop defied pain and injury to lead Saints’ pack in the semi-final defeat.

Speaking after the loss, Wellens said Graham, whom he shares the club captaincy with, had showed remarkable character by taking the field despite his troubles with a disc problem.

The full back said: "He is phenomenal. Towards the end of the game he caught the ball and literally fell on the floor.

“I can imagine there were thousands of people thinking ‘what is he doing’? Well the other 16 blokes in our team knew exactly what he was doing “There was a stage early on in the week when the poor lad could barely walk and I thought there was no chance he could play in the game.

“It says much about him as a character and a person that he put the team before his own personal health.

“He made a sacrifice for us today and he's not the only guy. We had a few put their hands up and played through the pain barrier.

“As far as character and what goes on in the team…we have got that in abundance and it is something we can build on."

Simmons echoed Wellens’ comments, revealing a number of players taking the field after having pain-killing injections.

Simmons lifted the lid on the extent of the injury woes that has hampered Saints preparations for the Challenge Cup semi-final, particular in the case of James Roby and Graham who struggled with hand and back injuries respectively.

He told reporters: "They were very courageous. I knew they would be, that's the character of the blokes.

“We went into the game with a few blokes carrying bumps and bruises. We had the first training session of the week and eight couldn’t train and then the second four who couldn’t.

“It wasn't until the Captain's Run that we sort of put a side together. A couple of senior players carried pretty severe injuries into the game and played very courageously. But it all adds up.”

Simmons added: “Roby played full of injections. He had a hand injury and it hurt when he passed -that’s why he threw a few balls to the ground.

“It was a courageous effort - we didn’t bring it up earlier in the week because of the judiciary – but he played full of needles – a few other boys have done that – but at the end of the day Wigan have won.”

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/saints/ne ... ad_shots/?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Royce Simmons complains to RFL over repeated high tackles on James...

Post by josie andrews »

Gary Wheeler returns but injuries pile up for Saints

SAINTS have a host of new injury problems following last weekend’s Challenge Cup semi final exit but Gary Wheeler returns to the 19-man squad after a lengthy lay off.

Jonny Lomax, Chris Flannery and Tommy Makinson are all ruled out with dead legs following the bruising semi-final defeat to Wigan.

Kyle Eastmond is still missing with a groin injury. Meanwhile, Shaun Magennis, who tore a groin muscle at Castleford, has joined Josh Perry and Ade Gardner on the sidelines for the rest of the season.

On the plus side James Graham and James Roby will both play against Huddersfield despite neck/back and hand injuries respectively.

Wheeler is back in contention, after appearing for the under 20s last weekend, after a long lay off with a shoulder injury. Tom Armstrong, Nathan Ashe and Andrew Dixon are also in the Saints 19.

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/saints/ne ... r_Saints/?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Is this a late April Fool's?

Graham gets more high shots than Sam? He gets more high shots than any other forward? Really?

Maybe his head hurts from all the shouting at the ref he does, and it even gives him a headache?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Kittwazzer

Re: Royce Simmons complains to RFL over repeated high tackles on James Graham

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:
“I said to Stuart ‘I don’t want to embarrass James and he doesn’t know I’m ringing (but) he has had concussion for about four weeks in a row’.
He knows now! :lol:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

This is embarrassing. Its like a kids mum running on the pitch during a match and wiping his snotty nose! :blush:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Graham in a way hurts himself with his style of running. Routinely rather than picking a line and hitting that gap he runs towards the defender and curves back across the defender in such a way that he is making accidental contacts with the upper body, head of a would be tackler. If Royce is worried he should instruct him to hit the gap or curve away from tacklers.

I have my doubts re the back injury I.E the severity.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Think they are trying to find ways to stop us tackling any player in lead up to cup final :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

OJ

Post by OJ »

Dear Mr Leneghan,
I have Stuart Cummings phone number if you would like it so you can ring him and point out that nobody, but nobody, takes more high shots, low shots and cheap shots than young Samuel Tomkins
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

KOOCH

Re: Royce Simmons complains to RFL over repeated high tackles on James Graham

Post by KOOCH »

josie andrews wrote:ROYCE Simmons has raised concerns with the RFL over high tackles he believes are being repeatedly meted out to his star prop forward James Graham.

The England front rower has been struggling in recent weeks with back spasms caused by a bulging disc in his neck that has frequently flared up.

Simmons, who says Graham has also had bouts of concussion as a result of head tackles, this week raised concerns with match officials director Stuart Cummings.

The Saints coach said: “I rang Stuart Cummings the other day because he (Graham) has been copping a few round the melon quite regularly from game to game.

“It is slight concussion that leads to whiplash and neck problems so I asked Stuart to have a look at it and he said they were on to it.”

Simmons stopped short of saying his influential metre maker was being hit high deliberately, but pointed out he has been on the end of some rough tactics.

“I think teams are very aggressive against him when he carries the ball, so when you are very aggressive you will get one that strays up around the chin,” said Simmons.

“I’m not saying anyone goes to do it deliberately but I’m saying he has had a few little hits.”

With Cummings admitting to Simmons that the game’s governing body are aware of the high tackles it would be expected referees will be briefed on the issue.

In a statement released to the Star, Cummings said: “We provide coaches with reviews of their games every week and we are always available to have conversations about any issues which they feel are arising.

“Contact with the head in the tackle area is something we do monitor closely already and we will continue to do so.”

The prop’s injury problems do appear to have eased this week and he is expected to take his place against Huddersfield.

Simmons played down any long-term concerns over the fitness of Graham, who will depart for the NRL at the end of this season.

Meanwhile, Wellens saluted the courage of James Graham after the prop defied pain and injury to lead Saints’ pack in the semi-final defeat.

Speaking after the loss, Wellens said Graham, whom he shares the club captaincy with, had showed remarkable character by taking the field despite his troubles with a disc problem.

The full back said: "He is phenomenal. Towards the end of the game he caught the ball and literally fell on the floor.

“I can imagine there were thousands of people thinking ‘what is he doing’? Well the other 16 blokes in our team knew exactly what he was doing “There was a stage early on in the week when the poor lad could barely walk and I thought there was no chance he could play in the game.

“It says much about him as a character and a person that he put the team before his own personal health.

“He made a sacrifice for us today and he's not the only guy. We had a few put their hands up and played through the pain barrier.

“As far as character and what goes on in the team…we have got that in abundance and it is something we can build on."

Simmons echoed Wellens’ comments, revealing a number of players taking the field after having pain-killing injections.

Simmons lifted the lid on the extent of the injury woes that has hampered Saints preparations for the Challenge Cup semi-final, particular in the case of James Roby and Graham who struggled with hand and back injuries respectively.

He told reporters: "They were very courageous. I knew they would be, that's the character of the blokes.

“We went into the game with a few blokes carrying bumps and bruises. We had the first training session of the week and eight couldn’t train and then the second four who couldn’t.

“It wasn't until the Captain's Run that we sort of put a side together. A couple of senior players carried pretty severe injuries into the game and played very courageously. But it all adds up.”

Simmons added: “Roby played full of injections. He had a hand injury and it hurt when he passed -that’s why he threw a few balls to the ground.

“It was a courageous effort - we didn’t bring it up earlier in the week because of the judiciary – but he played full of needles – a few other boys have done that – but at the end of the day Wigan have won.”

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/saints/ne ... ad_shots/?
You can just imagine the reception Graham will receive from the Aussies can't you.This is a man's game Royce or are you not aware of this? Of course he's going to take a few head shots some of which will be accidental, others will be cheap nasty shots.The kind of thing that we expect all officials to act on in an instance.Of course good young props sometimes need the protection of the ref but not to be pampered like a child.It is the thugs like the Bailey's,and the Mason's that need to be routed from the game.And whilst we are on about protection for J.Graham Mr Simmons could you also mention to Mr Graham that he need not step on the back of peoples heels in a Grand Final because you are getting beaten.Oh and another thing whilst I'm on a roll can you please ask JG to keep his *u*k*n* dummy in his mouth. :cool:
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

So Simmons is saying people are hitting Graham but not deliberately.
Cummings says they are monitoring high shots anyway.

The only thing he is achieving is making Graham look soft.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS