BEST WIGAN 13 EVER

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mark prescott

BEST WIGAN 13 EVER

Post by mark prescott »

having watched wigan for over 30 yrs i thought an interesting subject would be to ask fellow wariors fans what is there best wigan team of all time players must have appeared in that position u pick them and you must include a coach nad goalkicker to get things started here is my team which i think would beat anyones

FULL BACK FRANO BOTICA & GOALKICKER
RIGHT WING JASON ROBINSON
RIGHT CENTRE DEAN
LEFT CENTRE GENE MILES
LEFT WING MARTIN OFFIAH
STAND OFF BRETT KENNY
SCRUM HALF ANDY GREGORY
PROP FORWARD GREG DOWLING
HOOKER NICKY KISS
PROP FORWARD ANDY PLATT
SECOND ROW ANDREW FARRELL
SECOND ROW GRAHAM WEST
LOOSE FORWARD ELLERY HANLEY

SUBS SHAUN EDWARDS
ANDY GOODWAY
KEVIN IRO
KELVIN SKERRETT

COACH JOHN MONIE

HOPE THIS STARTS A FEW TONGUES WAGGING AND STARTS A DECENT DEBATE

YOURS IN SPORT
MARK
Claire

Re: BEST WIGAN 13 EVER

Post by Claire »

I like your taste Mr Prescott
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I added mine in the "Favourite Teams" category on the left hand side nav bar a few months ago, you have to be logged in to be able to view it though. it's a pitty more people have not used it.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

To ChrisA:
I added Sam Panapa to the list of ex-players. I don't have any details for him though so his profile is empty.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

in reply doug i agree it was difficult to leave out such fine players like ella inga and lydon of whom i was in the same class at school as but i felt it was a balanced team i cant remember too many games ella played at centre he was primarly a no6 i flet botica had 2 have a place coz he without doubt was the greatest kicker we have ever seen just look how many people copied his style of kickin if i wanted a out and out no1 i would have chosen george fairbairn who singlehandely carried wigan for 3 yrs in those dark days of the late seventies as for hooker nickty would have coped with todays game just lookat saints no9 not much difference in size there i contemplated picking robbie mccormack but felt he had not played sufficent games, as for icking westie i feel as though he revoloutinised how overseas players came to this country and i am sure we would not have seen some of the great stars from overseas if it were not for westie plus hes a great bloke, inga as with robbie mac did not play enough games for me and i agree with your comment on the wingers it was a difficult choice but jason and martin were an awesome partnership i evn toyed with having ray mort in there as he was a strong as any winger i have ever seen i am glad my team provoked a response and it would have been great to watch the team play
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

just one critisism Mark it's now Andrew Farrell OBE
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

sorry about that yes indeed andy is a obe maybe in a few more years after faz has broken every ruby record standing it may be SIR andrew farrell
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

Claire posted:
I like your taste Mr Prescott
thanks claire it is not often a female says i have good taste
mark prescott

Post by mark prescott »

oh cmon doug i cant believe u think mordt was in the same class as those other 2 u mentioned ray had far more class than those 2 u state his performance in the jpt finl of 86 was not upto much well anyone can have a off game i remember 1 particular match at headingley against leeds on a cold tuesday evening when mordt scored a hatrick in a 30-0 victory were he literally ran over the leeds winger at the time all i said was ray was a powerful winger who could give balance to offiahs speed i think on that same evening at leeds our other winger that night alsoscored a hatrick his name was richard russell dont try and say he was as good as mordt
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike posted:
To ChrisA:
I added Sam Panapa to the list of ex-players. I don't have any details for him though so his profile is empty.
Is Andy Platt now in the list? I am pretty sure he wasn't when I did my favourite team a few months back.

Dave