Proposed Friendly with Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dave Swanton

Proposed Friendly with Wigan

Post by Dave Swanton »

I was made aware early last week that Rads could not use the JJB for his proposed friendy v Salford and thought that as he is one of Wigan RL's all time greats he deserved a well attended game.
Neil Barker wrote a piece in the MEN and I suggested that Sale Sharks would be interested in playing a game for Rads at Edgeley Park where hopefully he could make a lot of money for his deserved testimonial. All I have received since is abuse by phone and email.
It was all done with the best intentions for Rads. never mind you live and learn.
mario

Re: Proposed Friendly with Wig...

Post by mario »

I read about it in League express today, but it said it was unlikely to happen. I'd like it to go ahead, and anyone unhappy with it should perhaps direct thier calls and emails to Wigan RL who are responsible for moving the radders testimonial and Terry O'conners last year from the JJB!
I'ts an extra game to get them ready for the coming season and probibly more entertaining than most pre- season friendlys.
Linzi

Re: Proposed Friendly with...

Post by Linzi »

However there is also the possibility of getting injuries whilst playing a game which they are not used to.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

There's just as high a chance that they'll gain injuries playing the sport they play every week. Both are tough sports on the body, a lot of people would argue League puts the body under more strain, it certainly has the edge in fitness.

I would definately be more interested in watching a League -v- Union match than a boring Wigan -v- Salford or London second string game. It's something different, some novelty value.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Yes rob, it will be fun to see league kick unions ass at their own sport!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

That's a shame. The match would be just a bit of fun surely? Why are we any more likely to suffer injuries in a barely contested ruck than a full blooded 80 minutes of league?
Wigan4Ever

Re: Proposed Friendly with Wig...

Post by Wigan4Ever »

I was horrified to hear that someone like Dave Swanton - a real servant to our great game - is subjected to abuse. I hope it wasn't from Wigan fans. I for one would be fascinated by such a tie, and would definitely be there. But then I would be there anyway ... Dave, we genuine fans don't wish to be associated with people who have nothing better to do than hurl abuse at someone like you.
Cherry and White Eyeballs
www.wiganstpats2oz.co.uk
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan4Ever posted:
I was horrified to hear that someone like Dave Swanton - a real servant to our great game - is subjected to abuse. I hope it wasn't from Wigan fans. I for one would be fascinated by such a tie, and would definitely be there. But then I would be there anyway ... Dave, we genuine fans don't wish to be associated with people who have nothing better to do than hurl abuse at someone like you.
I agree the abuse is out of order but I don't agree tere would be anything facinating about such a game.

The Saints v Sale game last year was predictable. Sale won the union half, Saints the league half and the resulting play was as one sided as you would expect given the rules of the half you were watching. Totally pointless exercise.

As to injures being picked up, this would be an extra game in addition to the two pre-season friendlies and so the opportunity is there for injuries to happen.

Despite what someone said about uniuon being less physical than league or whatever it is different and when you do somnething different you are more likely to injure yourself.

There is another thread on this already with opinions as to why this game would be a bad idea. There isn't any abuse in it so perhaps Dave could comment on that.

Dave
Dave Swanton

Post by Dave Swanton »

Have a look at the Total RL website. Also the phone calls and emails received have been less than complimentary about Sale Sharks, Jason Robinson and RU. The idea I floated was not to "big up" Sale Sharks or Rugby Union it was to arrange a game for Kris Radlinski, who is a good friend, but more importantly is Wigan through and through. I thought Rads deserved more than a 2500 crowd that could have been accomodated at Orrell and wanted to help. If, when Maurice Lindsay returns from Oz he grants Rads a testimonial at the JJB, that would be fantastic and if by making the noises I did for Rads it gets a result .......then great.Thats all I wanted to do.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dave Swanton posted:
Have a look at the Total RL website.
I'd rather not :wink:
Also the phone calls and emails received have been less than complimentary about Sale Sharks, Jason Robinson and RU.
I can't beleive people are sad enough to ring you up and say such things but some people do have negative opinions about JR and RU. Don't forget it's not that long ago players like Scott Gibbs were banned from setting foot in the Swansea RU club house having turned "pro" with League so people will still treat initialitves from RU with suspicion.

There is no excuse for abuse but never-the-less some people have long memories given the 100 year anti-league stance RU had.
The idea I floated was not to "big up" Sale Sharks or Rugby Union it was to arrange a game for Kris Radlinski, who is a good friend, but more importantly is Wigan through and through. I thought Rads deserved more than a 2500 crowd that could have been accomodated at Orrell and wanted to help. If, when Maurice Lindsay returns from Oz he grants Rads a testimonial at the JJB, that would be fantastic and if by making the noises I did for Rads it gets a result .......then great.Thats all I wanted to do.
If you want to influence Mo I think suggesting the game to him directly before publicising the idea in the media might be a better way of going about it.

Otherwise it just looks like a publicity stunt.

Dave