Travel info - Which route to take m1 or m40???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gizmo_Edwards

Travel info - Which route to take m1 or m40???

Post by Gizmo_Edwards »

Rugby league fans across the north heading to London for the Challenge Cup Final between Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors are being advised to plan their journeys.
Thousands of fans from Yorkshire and Greater Manchester will be heading down south for the big Wars of the Roses clash which is taking place on bank holiday Saturday (August 27) with a 2.30pm kick off.

As well as urging rugby league fans to plan their journeys down to London, the Highways Agency is suggesting that fans from Leeds head straight down to the M1 to get to Wembley while supporters from Wigan should stick to the M6 and then take the M40 route from the West Midlands towards the capital.

With bank holiday weekend traffic and rugby league fans heading to the capital, routes from the North including the M6, M40 and M1, are likely to be busy before and after next weekend's big match

The Highways Agency will complete or suspend dozens of improvement projects in time for the Bank Holiday to help smooth people’s journeys.

However, drivers heading in and out of London along the M1 are reminded of ongoing work and speed restrictions between Junctions 10 and 13 (Luton and Milton Keynes) where two major improvement projects are continuing. Traffic management for major improvements around the M6 and M1 Catthorpe Interchange in Leicestershire, where 50mph speed limits are in place, will also remain throughout the holiday for safety reasons.
Wigan Rugby League Fans:- the jackpot winners in rugby league life...
ancientnloyal

Re: Travel info - Which route to take m1 or m40???

Post by ancientnloyal »

M6 toll and M40, turn left at the M25 :) easy
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

Think that will be our route
Said to Mr Lifter the other day the whinos should take the M1
We will be in dark grey Rav 4 with flags and stickers i will be sad :sad: if no one waves.
Not decided yet where we are stopping for breakfast
Mr Lifter

Post by Mr Lifter »

I don't post alot on here basically I can't get near for Mrs Lifter.
Who where the teams in The War of the Roses? I was taught at school it was LANCASHIRE and YORKSHIRE and not YORKSHIRE and GREAT MANCHESTER. Wigan is in Lancashire not Greater Manchester, as is Bolton where we live. Even the Post Office have reverted to calling it Lancashire again.
I know it's a bit off topic but WE ARE WIGAN, A LANCASHIRE TEAM. Ah reet rant over.
Now lets get them Yorkshiremen beat. Cum on you Warriors.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

You can put any county on addresses, as the post office no longer uses counties at all.

As for the route, the M40 is always a better bet than the M1 to London, but especially so if you're travelling from the North West.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I always put Lancashire on my address! I've always regarded myself as a Lancastrian & not a Mancunian.

My nephew insists that he is the only true Lancastrian in our family as he was born & lives in Chorley! He has no idea :lol:

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
white elephant

Post by white elephant »

All car drivers should use the M1 !!! :wink:
WIGAN TILL I DIE

white elephant

Post by white elephant »

ancientnloyal wrote:M6 toll and M40, turn left at the M25 :) easy
where you going?? :D
WIGAN TILL I DIE

white elephant

Post by white elephant »

josie andrews wrote:I always put Lancashire on my address! I've always regarded myself as a Lancastrian & not a Mancunian.

My nephew insists that he is the only true Lancastrian in our family as he was born & lives in Chorley! He has no idea :lol:
I had this out with someone once and they pointed out that Radio Lancashire dont cover any news or stories about Wigan where as Radio Manchester do! So Wigan is in Greater Manchester, to be honest i dont really care :D
WIGAN TILL I DIE

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

white elephant wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:M6 toll and M40, turn left at the M25 :) easy
where you going?? :D
i dunno lol i suppose you can keep going round the m25...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame