SINFIELD: NEW APPROACH THE KEY

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

SINFIELD: NEW APPROACH THE KEY

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield believes a different approach to the Challenge Cup in 2011 can help the Rhinos make up for last year's humiliation when they take on Wigan at Wembley on Saturday.

Sinfield reveals the Rhinos put a big emphasis last year on trying to end their long wait for cup success and it backfired in big style with a 30-6 final rout by Warrington and subsequent failure to retain their Super League crown.

This year he says the cup has been low on the club's list of priorities as they struggled for consistency in the league, and only now are they starting to turn their thoughts to Wembley.

"Because our performance was that scratchy in the league, I suppose it was always a welcome distraction," said Sinfield, who kicked a golden point penalty in extra time to guide his side to victory over Castleford in the semi-finals.

"We never thought 'let's really focus on the cup this year'. We did that last year and we came up short.

"We've had a completely different approach. Now it's time to focus on Saturday's game."

It is 12 years since Leeds last tasted Wembley success and Sinfield has experienced the agony of three Challenge Cup final defeats in the last nine years.

The England international has not watched last year's mauling by the Wolves, but admits his team will use it as additional motivation in their efforts to topple Wigan tomorrow.

"The big disappointment for me was turning up and not playing like we can," he said.

"For me it's about being the best we can be, putting in the best performance of the year and getting people to be proud of us again."

Wigan are the red-hot favourites to add the cup to their Super League crown after putting together a 12-match unbeaten run, including the notable cup scalps of St Helens and Warrington.

Although they will not underestimate their opponents, coach Michael Maguire is supremely confident in the single-minded focus that has served them so well in his two seasons at the club.

"We are aware about the capabilities of Leeds," he said.

"There is a lot of quality across the park but it is all about what we do in the 80 minutes and our players have learned that week in, week out.

"The players know what they need to do, it's all about performing and preparing the best they can and when that 80 minutes comes around they are at their best.

"There is a lot of passion behind this team and we want to go out on Saturday and perform at our best.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: SINFIELD: NEW APPROACH THE KEY / JAMIE'S FINAL FLING

Post by josie andrews »

JAMIE PEACOCK will fulfill a childhood dream when he makes his belated first -ever Wembley appearance tomorrow.

The veteran Leeds prop damaged knee ligaments at Castleford a fortnight before the Rhinos met Warrington in last year’s Challenge Cup final.

The injury also cost the 33-year-old the chance to lead England in the Four Nations.

But he can finally savour the Wembley experience after Leeds booked a return ticket against
Wigan tomorrow.

Few would begrudge him his special day as he approaches the twilight of a memorable career.

“It will mean a lot to me,” he said. “It’s been a childhood dream to get there and the fact that I missed out last year is
added incentive for me to do well.

“I was shell-shocked last year when I was told the full extent of the injury but you have to focus on the positives.

“If you feel sorry for yourself you end in up in trouble.

“There’s no room in sport for that sort of emotion, especially at the top level.

“We had worked so hard to get to last year’s final.

"Time isn’t on my side and the standard of Super League has increased dramatically and it’s not a given that you are going to reach finals every year.”

Leeds are happy to play the underdog card tomorrow against the reigning Super League champions, who haven’t lost in 12 games. A win at Warrington next Saturday will secure them the League Leaders Shield.

“We know we are underdogs but that suits us,” said Peacock.

“Our last five games against Wigan in Super League have been very close. They are always hugely competitive.”

Peacock refuses to join in the Wigan-bashing over their wrestling tactics around the rucks and slowing down the play-the-ball.

“I have a lot of respect for how disciplined they are,” said Peacock.

He reckons he has another two years left in him as a player, but has no plans to move into coaching – an
administrative role is what attracts him. One thing he would change if he gets the chance is the Challenge Cup schedule.

“I think playing it later in the season doesn’t work,” he added.

“There is too much gap between rounds and moving it to the middle of the
year would be better and boost it's impact."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/2 ... al-fling/?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan