State of mind

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jaws1

State of mind

Post by jaws1 »

MORLEY TO LEAD 'STATE OF MIND' CAMPAIGN

Warrington captain Adrian Morley has backed a campaign to raise awareness of mental-health issues in rugby league in the wake of the death of Terry Newton.

The initiative, launched at Warrington, has also received the official support of the Rugby Football League, who are to designate the final set of fixtures in the Engage Super League as the 'State of Mind' round.

The campaign is a partnership of Super League clubs, the NHS and the State of Mind Programme board, which was set up after former Wigan and Great Britain hooker Newton was found hanged at his home in September 2010.

"As a former team-mate and personal friend, I was shocked and devastated by Terry's sad and untimely death at such a young age," said Morley, who is to be the campaign's lead ambassador.

"I was, therefore, encouraged when I was briefed on the programme that was being developed to raise awareness of matters of mental fitness and overall well-being.

"I was even more encouraged by the news that this was aimed at the sport of rugby league at the elite level initially, but ultimately through all levels of rugby league, professional and amateur, and into local rugby league communities.

"I will assist in whatever way I can to make the aims and objectives of the programme a reality and I ask Super League clubs to nominate a top player as their club ambassador for 'State of Mind'."

St Helens forward Jon Wilkin has already pledged his active support and the campaign has been endorsed by former Australian international Andrew Johns, Ireland rugby union forward Alan Quinlan and former Arsenal football Paul Merson, who have all been affected by mental-health issues.

The man behind the campaign is life-long Wigan fan Ernie Benbow, a former senior manager in the NHS who wanted to honour the memory of Newton by raising the profile of mental health and player welfare.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480