new captain

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Paul Howard

Re: new captain

Post by Paul Howard »

To me there is only Newton and Radders in the running, and I strongly believe Kris is the right choice. A talented player beyond discussion in his own right, a seasoned profesionnal at all levels and most of all a player who the boys will look up to. Takin nothing away from Terry, I just think Radders is the better man for the position. I can't see how he couldn't do the job.

Dave O, a new signing taking on the roll of club captain. I'm saying - talk about putting a cat amongst the pigeons, but I'm thinkin " av a minute lad"!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Paul Howard posted:Dave O, a new signing taking on the roll of club captain. I'm saying - talk about putting a cat amongst the pigeons, but I'm thinkin " av a minute lad"!
Both half backs have captaincy experience with other clubs. They are seasonsed pros and I reckon it would bring the best out in either of them. I suppose with Moran he has to learn the plays so thinking again Orr might be the better bet.

As to Rads, he was captain last season for a while and just wasn't very good at it IMO!

Dave
chloe

Post by chloe »

No i agree DaveO..Radlinski wasn't the best as captain last season. No body is saying that radlisnki isnt A talented player, a seasoned profesionnal at all levels and someone who the boys will look up to. We all know he is and most players in superleague probably do look up to him.Its not that he cant do the job I believe Kris is fully capable of doing the job, however i dont, as last season showed think that he will be the best for it. However decision has been made and i hope kris can lead us to some victorys. :doz: Maybe this minor (she says praying)injury/setback will just show the other teams in superleague that we arent farrell dependant....it could also give us a chance to let the youngsters show there true colors...farrell can be a quite dominant figure on the field and im sure this can be quite intimidating for the newer, younger lads, maybe him being out will give them a chance to settle in and when he does return...we'll be a superforce and superleague X wont know whats hit them!!! :lol: Wishful Thinking me thinks!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Think it was on the season ticket booklets it had all the past captains of wigan on the front including faz of course! But o'loughlin was on there as well so it could be only instinct to assume he will captain wigan once faz has retired....but whilst faz is absent i think orr could do it, it may boost his confidence in play as well even though it seemed to distract kris last season
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Doug Stand posted:
There are no other contenders for captain. A captain has to have teh respect of all the playing staff which Radlinksi does, Moran could be a complete wash-out yet and Danny Orr would be luck to keep his place let alone be captain. I agree that half-back is perfect place for a captian to play because he is involved in everything. Don't think Newton has the head for it and as I say there are no other real contenders.
Wow some people only seem to ever watch wigan games, or so it may appear. What about the 5 seasons seasons Orr had at Castleford where he continually ripped teams to bits including Wigan ? or do you get off on slagging a player off because he had 1 average season that was ruined by a bad injury, just as he was finding some form he got injured, but forget that and just slate him instead, good going Doug, good way to back new players.
chloe

Post by chloe »

Danny Orr isnt a new player. i dont think he was slagging him off as such just voicing (how do u spell that word???) his opinion on the message board.Your message seems slightly harsh towards Doug....are you danny orr yourself and are upset?? hmmmm :eh:
just as I....i mean....he was finding some form i errr he got injured, but forget that and just slate me (cough cough) him instead
!!!!!!
Having ssaid that i do agree with you that Orr has had a bad season and we shouldnt write him off because as hes proved at Cass hes got a lot more to give to us and show us. Lets hope he does.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

chloe posted:
Danny Orr isnt a new player. i dont think he was slagging him off as such just voicing (how do u spell that word???) his opinion on the message board.Your message seems slightly harsh towards Doug....are you danny orr yourself and are upset?? hmmmm :eh:
just as I....i mean....he was finding some form i errr he got injured, but forget that and just slate me (cough cough) him instead
!!!!!!
Having ssaid that i do agree with you that Orr has had a bad season and we shouldnt write him off because as hes proved at Cass hes got a lot more to give to us and show us. Lets hope he does.
I dunno, Doug was pretty scathing of Orr. I disagree that Orr would be "lucky to keep his place", let alone be captain. It took him a while to settle in, but when was the last time we had a stand-off that slotted straight into the team? As stated elsewhere, we must all have seen Orr play for Cas so we know what he's capable of. If he doesn't perform this year then I'll accept the criticism but I don't think last year was representative of his true form.

I'm still not in favour of Rads as captain. Lockers in my mind is the best choice, he's been a first-team player for a while now and knows our style of play. Orr should be getting upto speed and did have success in the captain's role at Cas. Maybe it's a bit too soon for Moran, but I bet he's been picking up lots of information from Lam about Wigan's style. Last year Craig Smith was vice-captain IIRC, again it's experience that counts and Rads doesn't really have too much experience of captaining teams.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

Although Kris Radlinski is a brilliant contender, he isnt in the pack as much as other players. I think Brian Carney may be someone to look at, he may be an unknown leader but I would go with Sean O'loughlin. He has a lot ahead of him!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

before you can give the captancy to rads first find out if his injury has cleared up fully.! i would be quite happy with orr as captain until farrell returns. i dont think this would create any problems.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
mally darwin

Post by mally darwin »

i would be very happy if orr was captain too!