Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Sam Powell

Post by cpwigan »

I know we all talk about Joe Mellor etc but the more I watch the first team play I think Powell has a genuine future in that set up either replacing Deacs or as a second hooker playing as say Monaghan does etc.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Sam Powell

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:I know we all talk about Joe Mellor etc but the more I watch the first team play I think Powell has a genuine future in that set up either replacing Deacs or as a second hooker playing as say Monaghan does etc.
CP, I am with you. I have liked Sam throughout his junior career. He plays more like an old style scrum half - great distributor, good kicking game, excellent tackler and wonderful competitor.

Anyone who has not seen him play should get down to U20s today.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whomever replaces Deacs and IMO he must be replaced for the 2012 season if only to ensure that Finchy is there to bring them through will IMO add to the team physically and defensively.

I think Powell is the most versatile half back we have with his strong pass in either direction, an excellent kicking game and a strong defence. Mellor is probably the more elusive line breaker and faster.

The alternative which as you say Cherry is a position he played as a junior is hooker.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Unfortunately living in the Midlands and my work commitments I am not always able to attend as many games per season that I used to do.This also leads me onto another question re our Academy squad.Once again the distance and work kind of keeps me out of the loop as regards the possible step up to the first team from the academy.Who in the opinion of those in the know are ready to step up into the first? It's a shame really that I am not up to speed with regards to the youngsters and often only get to see them when they do step up as per Josh Charnley.So the question I'm asking really is who do you think should or could make the grade and in what position? :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Basically who Cherry has said

Carberry is a decent looking hooker.

The new 16 year olds signed are very exciting.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

cherry.pie wrote:Joe Mellor - Halfback
Sam Powell - Halfback
Ryan King - Winger
Matty Russell - Fullback/Winger
Jack Hughes - Second Row

Then perhaps in a few years time -

Tom Spencer - Prop
Greg Burke - Loose Forward
Thanks for that cherry.pie.I shall be looking out for these names in the future.A future that I hope will get me back to the position of ordering my season ticket again. :D
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

cpwigan wrote:Basically who Cherry has said

Carberry is a decent looking hooker.

The new 16 year olds signed are very exciting.
Well that's two of you in agreement on the above names.Names I have already made a note of for the future.The future is bright the future is Wigan. :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I also think Burke will be sooner than later.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Certainly Burke is a big lad.
One mon I work with was ballooning on about Connor Farrell, what's the griff on him please?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

That is a very apt comparison Cherry