Is RL legitimate?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
OJ

Re: Is RL legitimate?

Post by OJ »

cpwigan wrote:I saw some accounting figures on RL fans, the most recent for Wigan and Wire. According to those accounts Wire generated more income than Wigan.
Have you got a link please CP - would like to see them. Ta
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I haven't unfortunately.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I find this hard to believe, maybe whay wire have declared but I can not see it at all.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

CW, IIRC, it was Wigan-Leeds Andy that posted it on RLFans
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

slimshady wrote:If he is inflating the clubs financial position with his corporate entertaining then thats his choice, only the RFL can decide if thats against the rules.
Why would he want to do that anyway? Providing they were financially sound a club doesn't gain anything by this. Being profitable beyond a certain point won't gain them any more brownie points in the franchising criteria. Seems a complete waste of money to me.
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
slimshady wrote:If he is inflating the clubs financial position with his corporate entertaining then thats his choice, only the RFL can decide if thats against the rules.
Why would he want to do that anyway? Providing they were financially sound a club doesn't gain anything by this. Being profitable beyond a certain point won't gain them any more brownie points in the franchising criteria. Seems a complete waste of money to me.
He may be able to write it off against his tax bill, better to party with his money than to give it to the taxman kind of thing???
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote: He may be able to write it off against his tax bill, better to party with his money than to give it to the taxman kind of thing???
Fair point.

It is funny though how there seems to be a bit of jealousy of Wire's wealthy owner ploughing his money into the club whereas our owner expects the club to be self financing. It's almost the exact opposite of how it used to be when Whelan bank rolled the club and just stuck his money in when it was required.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote: Barrow Raiders are in very deep trouble with the RFL, which will soon come into the open.
Rumor has it that it will the worst ever case of a club being in breach of RFL rules, and every bit as big as the Melbourne Storm breach.
I doubt it somehow. Little club in the lower leagues won't make headline news. The RFL will hush it up or play it down.

Over on rlfans "Father Ted" posts every now and again about a court case involving image rights payments and that many big clubs are going to get shafted by the tax man and courts (including Wire) but it never seems to happen.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yes it is funny Dave I suppose you have to know where to put the money too I mean we must have spent a fortune on Barrett and Fielden but doing so didnt neccessarily mean success and Im sure we made a loss in those seasons/years!

I prefer the self sufficient route otherwise it ends up like football, look at the top clubs books there aint no way that can go on forever in the manner it does! Implosion waiting to happen IMO! Crusaders are another example spent big owners have enough and now they are practically gone!
outof order

Post by outof order »

this is the most cringworthy topic i have read on this forum and puts wigan fans as very bitter all because this season somebody dares to challenge the cherry n whites :redf: