Strange night

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Strange night

Post by Fraggle »

Not sure how many were at the Willows tonight, but those of us who did brave it saw a rather odd game. The first 20 minutes was all Wigan, after which point we were pretty well out of the game. At times the handling and moves were absolutely delightful, and at times it was absolutely atrocious.

Saying that, Karl Kirkpatrick was probably worse than ever with the whistle, the 2nd half penalty count was something like 10-2 in Salford's favour and I think I was as close to getting my fingers on the ball for Luke Robinson's try as he was himself.

Oddest thing of the game, a rush of blood (or a moment of madness / stupidity / forgetfulness-of-what-game-he-was-playing from Carney who decided to try charging down the conversion to Robinson's try and subsequently spent 10 minutes on the bench for his labours courtesy of KK's yellow card.

Some injury worries, both Sculthorpe and Davico disappeared early on and didn't reappear, although that could be just a precaution. It wasn't really worth risking any players when the two squads featured 22 players each!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ChrisA

Re: Strange night

Post by ChrisA »

Yeah it was a wierd evening, like you say the 1st 20 mins was all Wigan, then it just all went wrong, dropped ball, missed tackles, poor discipline, lack of ideas. Ah well it was the first runout and it will improve. Hope we see a better game on sunday.
craigbeck

Post by craigbeck »

I didn't see the the game but I must admit to being a little disapointed when I saw the scoreline. I know we were missing faz & newton but I think the away game is where we need a real confidence boost and I don't suppose the Salford players had the benefit of a Florida warm weather training camp for the winter.
:conf:

http://www.rockfm.co.uk
Sponsor Of Wigan Warriors
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Did carney really charge down the kick? I heard he did but thought it was just a rumour! ?Trust me to miss summat like that
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mrs_carney posted:
Did carney really charge down the kick? I heard he did but thought it was just a rumour! ?Trust me to miss summat like that
No, it was true. Funniest thing I've seen in a while although he got lots of stick from the Salford lot for doing it. Not sure what went through his head, and he didn't even manage to put off the Salford kicker who got his conversion.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Arent you allowed to run though after the ref has blown his whistle? It sounds funny lol, just hope he doesnt do it when the season starts!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Didnt see it but the score and the report didnt make me feel good. Wigan Losing from being up 16 points :conf: Also i heard on Rock FM we are awaiting the results to see how bad Luke Davico injury is :(

I was in McDonalds on the saddle junc. and 2 people in full wigan tracksuits came in, think they were team related not just fans, thats how we found out the score. Hopefully sunday will be a better game and injury free
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I didn't see the game either, forgive me but I didn't even listen to it or stare at teletext! Makes it even worse that I was out with a saints 'fan' (in his defence he isn't a big big fan of rugby) BUT I did my bit because we were walking past the JJB stadium and the wigan coach (www.dictionary.com) drove past. Did we play for the 80 minutes anyone or did we switch off like we have done a few times last season?
Was reading about Davicos injury, is there anymore news yet? Such a shame but so predictable
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I'm no Madame Zelda but lets be honest did anyone here actually not forecast tries for Robinson and Hodgson and a serious injury to one of our big new signings? Thought not. Pre season friendlies, aren't they just great? Come back Wigan Sevens and the Locker Cup, all is forgiven and to think of the abuse Dave Swanton got for daring to suggest running rings round some rubbishy English Union side for an afternoon in aid of Radders