Joel to Union

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
eccywarrior

Re: Joel to Union

Post by eccywarrior »

looks like its going happen as was talking to one of players girlfriends dad today and he has confirmed it. sam isnt going though
IN WANE WE TRUST
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

may i add that its not going look great if a 24 year old is leaving and is being replaced by a 38 year old
IN WANE WE TRUST
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Well, all this stuff this week has kept folk off Lauaki's back! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
BigJeffLima

Post by BigJeffLima »

personally im GUTTED ! if joels goes i can only see wigan going down hill, becuase sam wont be there for much longer
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If there is anything in this then it will have been an agent led and inspired move. He signed a 5 year deal and wants out after 1? Any five year deal has got to be good money for a player to agree too it.

To be honest ever since Iyestin Harris went into a sulk years ago after signing a five year deal for Wire then decided he wanted to go to Leeds I have had little time for players who want to walk out on agreements freely entered into.

All this about well what would you do offered the cash, pretty simple really if I signed a five year deal I'd make sure it was good enough and I'd stick too it. I would not even be looking for new job and if my agent kept coming along stirring things up saying I could earn this in the NRL or that in RU I'd tell him to shut up.

It's also about time clubs held players to contracts. If we sign them up for five years we obviously plan the team with that in mind. If as soon as we get one of our contracted players tapped up by Ru we cave in what is the point of signing any sort of contract longer than a season?

If Leeds Rhinos had tapped him up IL would be off the RFL complaining about it. Why didn't he just tell Sarries to get lost?
botica

Post by botica »

From what i understood the RU agency bought out the agency that both Joel and Sam are with along with all contracts, so perhaps (i am surmising here)a mountain is being made out of a molehill.They didn't actually choose to sign with them at all... I hope so, i like Joel and know he can be great in RL, greater than he will being RU, perhaps not as rich!! Don't go Joel x
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

DaveO wrote:Why didn't he just tell Sarries to get lost?
Because if he has a player who's determined to go he may as well concentrate on obtaining the best deal possible for the club from Sarries.

We don't want Joel to leave but if you create an unhappy player by keeping him to his contract you risk disrupting the team ethos as a whole.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If it is true and Joel wants to go I don't think IL will stand in his way ,the club should seek the maximum compensation they can get .Then rip Charnleys contract up and give him some of Joels pay.Although it will be a loss to Wigan and RL players come and go if his heart is not in it playing for Wigan then what's the point of him staying at Wigan.Ive said since Wembley to my mates Joel does not look bothered his body language gives him away.Second row is not a position we are short of but the centre is where Joel has been standing in is .Who can blame the lad if true for going the RL and the Chairmen of the SL clubs have brought this on themselves in effect bringing in a pay freeze for the players.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No mountain of a mole hill Botica. Yes his agency was bought out but that changed nothing until he received an offer from RU and if the compensation can be agreed, Joel wants to go.

To the poster who referred to Billy Whizz and Ashton. Both were natural backs. I personally do not think Joel is in either code and although I can see potential for him as a flanker he does not have the Union know how to play there. Ian Thornley (albeit somewhat younger) who was equally big and a more natural centre has not made it big in Union YET.

Economically, Joel will be a far richer man BUt much poorer in terms of enjoyment/job satisfaction.

Nevertheless, remember compensation has to be agreed before this will/can happen.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

cpwigan wrote:No mountain of a mole hill Botica. Yes his agency was bought out but that changed nothing until he received an offer from RU and if the compensation can be agreed, Joel wants to go.

To the poster who referred to Billy Whizz and Ashton. Both were natural backs. I personally do not think Joel is in either code and although I can see potential for him as a flanker he does not have the Union know how to play there. Ian Thornley (albeit somewhat younger) who was equally big and a more natural centre has not made it big in Union YET.

Economically, Joel will be a far richer man BUt much poorer in terms of enjoyment/job satisfaction.

I was looking to put into words a reply, but CPW you have done it for me - agree 100% with points made.

Nevertheless, remember compensation has to be agreed before this will/can happen.