Barrow Punished Heavily

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Barrow Punished Heavily

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:My understanding is that senior people within Barrow RLFC will now be asking questions of the RFL why other clubs, noteably in Superleague are not getting penalised for exactly the same offrences. Rumour has it that the same people will have good substance behind their questions.
I hope so but I won't hold my breath.
Would also be interesting to see how Warrington get beyond Rule C.1.1.11 - no club or club official shall loan money or goods or make payment or provide any benefit in kind to a player unless they are recorded in the player's contract;
That one intrigued me as well. I am sure I read somewhere Ratchford signed for Wire because their chairman was able to secure tickets to events and concerts or some such trivia over and above the salary competing clubs could offer. That doesn't mean he gets them for free of course but I am sure that was the implication.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:My understanding is that senior people within Barrow RLFC will now be asking questions of the RFL why other clubs, noteably in Superleague are not getting penalised for exactly the same offrences. Rumour has it that the same people will have good substance behind their questions.
I hope so but I won't hold my breath.
Would also be interesting to see how Warrington get beyond Rule C.1.1.11 - no club or club official shall loan money or goods or make payment or provide any benefit in kind to a player unless they are recorded in the player's contract;
That one intrigued me as well. I am sure I read somewhere Ratchford signed for Wire because their chairman was able to secure tickets to events and concerts or some such trivia over and above the salary competing clubs could offer. That doesn't mean he gets them for free of course but I am sure that was the implication.
I heard the Ratchord scenario first hand at the Hull KR home game from inside the hospitality lounge.
Wigan had offered exactly the same money as Wire for Ratchford but he took the deal with the add ons.
Tickets, free or not are a benefit of kind and therefore must surely be disclosed.
Been also told that angry people within Barrow Raiders will dig in deep to pull others down with them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote: I heard the Ratchord scenario first hand at the Hull KR home game from inside the hospitality lounge.
Wigan had offered exactly the same money as Wire for Ratchford but he took the deal with the add ons.
Tickets, free or not are a benefit of kind and therefore must surely be disclosed.
Been also told that angry people within Barrow Raiders will dig in deep to pull others down with them.
I guess such tickets must be a benefit in kind. Can't see how they aren't. Barrow got done apparently for paying large amounts in travel expenses not salary. Their ex-chairman claims this was all legit and if it had been declared as salary they would have still been under the cap anyway.

I hope they do dig deep but I think the only way others will be pulled down is if they go public and some journo gets his teeth into it in a serious way. If they go to the RFL I just think they will jump through hoops to excuse away the transgressions of the SL clubs pretty much in the way they remain tight lipped about the back taxes due on EBT's and Image Right payments.