Such a missed opportunity

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Such a missed opportunity

Post by cpwigan »

A GF win that should have been. I hope the players are dirty with themselves. 2011 should have been a triple celebration and a possible WCC in Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1lfxk.html
chris1234

Re: Such a missed opportunity

Post by chris1234 »

Completely agree with CP, i think if we could have just beaten the stains at Widnes, we would have beaten either of those teams in the grand final. But it wasn't meant to be...
RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bilko posted an apposite comment on Facebook. If Leeds had played Saints 3 times, Wire twice as well as Wembley in the last 8 weeks, they would have got nowhere near the Grand Final!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not General RL Josie, it is about Wigan :roll: :wink:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:Not General RL Josie, it is about Wigan :roll: :wink:
Sorry cp, read your link & it was mainly about the WCC (which we aren't involved in) being played in Oz.

Which is what Gary Hethrington has wanted after their previous GF wins, & to have a SL game played there!!

Do you think this is a conspiracy again from Headingley & their tenants, the RFL, to make sure Leeds got to & won the GF this year???
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:Bilko posted an apposite comment on Facebook. If Leeds had played Saints 3 times, Wire twice as well as Wembley in the last 8 weeks, they would have got nowhere near the Grand Final!
We only played Saints three times because we lost the first play off game so that is a rather odd comment to make.

We played Wire on 23rd July and then on 4th Sept so what is his point about that?

With Wire out we blew a big chance to do the double and I don't think you can blame a cup 1/4 final in July as a reason.

warrior1989

Post by warrior1989 »

A scary thought with Leeds winning aswell is, if Wigan hadn't beaten them in the cc final then Leeds would have won the double. A team who have lets face it bin $h!t all year and had a good run at the end could have won the double !
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warrior1989 wrote:A scary thought with Leeds winning aswell is, if Wigan hadn't beaten them in the cc final then Leeds would have won the double. A team who have lets face it bin $h!t all year and had a good run at the end could have won the double !
That is because we have just got two knock out competitions now. The structure of the current play offs makes it much easier for teams who finish lower down to win it. It's already been said Leeds are the first to win it from 5th completely ignoring it was far harder to do so from 1998 to 2001 when we used the top five system for example.
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

I think this season goes to show how pathetic the Grand Final is in deciding the Super League Champions

If you include the play off and final games this is how the games won & lost pan out (I've ignored draws for this comparison)

Warrington P29 W23 L6
Wigan P30 W21 L6
Saints P30 W19 L8
-
Leeds P31 W19 L11

So Leeds are the 'Champions' by winning fewer games than us or Warrington and losing more games by a long chalk than us Warrington or Saints.

The GF should become what it always was - the Premiership - and handled as a separate competition.
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
rdownes9

Post by rdownes9 »

I just think we ran out of steam. With the Cup run, we never had a week off all season, the WCC added an extra match as well, and also meant the re-arranged Cas game being played midweek which no one else had to do. Plus you look at the Exiles game, how many we had involved on both sides on the Friday night, and then had to play again on the Sunday!

The cup run, we beat the four biggest clubs in Super League in that run, all of them tough, bruising encounters, which must have took it out of our boys, so by the end of the season i think we'd just run out of steam.

A long hard season, when we played some amazing rugby. Lets not let the final few weeks tarnish what was otherwise a good year for us, we got the Challenge Cup back at last, and the disapointments of the play offs should inspire us for next season.