Sonny Bill Williams out of contract...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
chris1234

Sonny Bill Williams out of contract...

Post by chris1234 »

At the end of the current world cup Sonny Bill Williams will be out of contract. Having played in the NRL, the Super 15, french rugby union, had a boxing career and also played international rugby in both codes, surely the Super league is his next port of call or perhaps something he would consider as another box to tick in his career.

Also i imagine he would demand massive money, so surely if Joel does leave, this would give us a large chunk off the salary cap, plus whatever compensation we get to play with to get Sonny Bill. I feel it would take a tremendous effort from Ian Lenegan (Eric Pollard) to persuade Williams to come to Wigan, but stranger things have happened and Williams does appear to have had more clubs than tiger woods, so maybe he would consider a few seasons with the biggest club in rugby league this side of the hemisphere.

He is a class act and in my opinion would be up there with the best if not "THE" best centre in the Superleague.
He has been immense the last few weeks for New Zealand in the world cup and looks at times to fill in as a second stand off in the back line, surely this would be a very attractive trait to add to our backs..... a mouthwatering thought...Sonny Bill, Sam, Finch, Richards...a great mixture of power, pace and skill.. could be Class.

We can dream......... Pull it out the bag Lenegan!

RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend
Kiwiseddon

Re: Sonny Bill Williams out of contract...

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I think we could do with something like this to cheer us all up. I'm gutted about Joel but SBW inside Charnley next season might just make everything okay again!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I think we could do with something like this to cheer us all up. I'm gutted about Joel but SBW inside Charnley next season might just make everything okay again!
It would certainly sell a few more season tickets! #blueskythinking
wiganwarriordave

Post by wiganwarriordave »

I admire your optimism, but i think...
chris1234 wrote:i imagine he would demand massive money,
May well be the understatement of the century.

I'm concerned about the lack of info and signings for next season. Although i also remember being similarly concerned when it was announced we'd signed this assistant coach from Melbourne with no first team experience.... And look how that turned out.

I think IL needs to quickly confirm the new coaches (as if it's a big secret), confirm any signings, dismiss or confirm any departures. Then the fans can rest easy, buy their season tickets, and look forward to 2012.
chris1234

Post by chris1234 »

Spot on Warrior Dave, this lack of information is particulary annoying. I am quite well connected to the sale sharks set up and was told the other day when i asked about Joel to union, that they had spoken to both sam and joel in person but nothing more has come of it yet... Also just had an ex saints player in work this morning who we deal with, Andy Northy and he now coaches Macclesfield rufc, so im digging for some further information about the ongoing league to union sagas...

This Northy lads a legend btw
RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend
rdownes9

Post by rdownes9 »

Totally agree with you fellas about the worry on the fans part. Out of the door are Hoffman, Coley, O'Carroll, Cross, possibly Joel, and we know that Fielden and Deacon have seen better days, so what have we got lined up for the futre? Thomas is hardly youthful is he, so we need to know there's a bit of hope for next season that we will bounce back.

This time last year we already knew we had Hoff, Lima and the phenominal Finch coming on board, but not the same this time around. It's a bit concerning, but I suppose they have had to wait for the seaosn to end before announcing the new coach, so hopefully there's some new signings lined up.

I've heard this Sonny Bill rumour elsewhere as well, so fingers crossed its true!
JeffLimastolemydinnermoney

Post by JeffLimastolemydinnermoney »

SBW will get a fat paycheck from NZ winning the world cup then return to the NRL when they increase the salary cap, think the brains at red hall need to follow suite !
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

chris1234 wrote:
This Northy lads a legend btw
Northy was an average player and a bit of a bully boy - nothing more. He was involved in the tackle that damaged Offiah's back in a Good Friday Derby.

He also nearly took Rob Smyth's head off at Central Park with a shoulder charge. Quinnell then tried to remove Northy's head with a right hook a few minutes later and Northy disappeared off the pitch about two minutes later and didn't return...

Never liked him
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

As much as I'd love to see SBW lining up in the Cherry & White it just isn't going to happen. Even if he left RU he'd probably head back to the NRL especially with the increased salary cap.

Pity as the guy is one classy player and he knows how to put a big hit in too when tackling.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Joel > Inglis
Sam > Slater
Coley > Wilkes (no money left)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame