Transparency, access to information ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Transparency, access to information ?

Post by cpwigan »

Are there any people who disagree with the following and if so why?

The RFL should as a matter of course

A). State what % of the salary cap limit a club is spending

B). State the salary of each individual player that make up the salary cap allowance (with an option, I think mandatory) to state the enture contract total given some contracts are 'backended' etc and paid unequally across the duration.
Kittwazzer

Re: Transparency, access to information ?

Post by Kittwazzer »

Don't see why individual players' salaries should be public knowledge!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Neither do I!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:Don't see why individual players' salaries should be public knowledge!
Why not? What is to be gained from secrecy? What are people afraid of? Why should you know some people's salaries and not others? Where is the fairness in that? Who benefits from not disclosing salaries?

Same questions to Josie

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Don't see why individual players' salaries should be public knowledge!
Why not? What is to be gained from secrecy? What are people afraid of? Why should you know some people's salaries and not others? Where is the fairness in that? Who benefits from not disclosing salaries?

Same questions to Josie
how much do you earn?, what is the gross income of your household after deductions?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

31,555 - Grade 6

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

The salary of any / every teaching professional is freely available to you.

You Medlocke?

You have not answered the original question BTW
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:31,555 - Grade 6

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

The salary of any / every teaching professional is freely available to you.

You Medlocke?

You have not answered the original question BTW
Not bad CP, don't know why some Teachers moan on about what they get paid. At the moment i'm on £5600 give or take a few pound, before i lost my job i was on £16,000, as for the original question, i agree with the first part, as for the second part, the rfl stating what a player earns, i think that should be up to the individual although they could state what all the players earn separately without naming them
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The only problem with that Medlocke is it just creates the same guessing game / rumours. Agents / players / family members are told by (other) players what they earn. I see no benefit in not declaring what your salary is personally. Certainly the negative impact of saying so does not exist. The negative impact of secrecy definetly does exist.

Based on their past comments neither KW or Josie believe every club plays fair by the salary cap. I personally do not either. Whilst transparency does not stop brown envelope behaviour it does give the main shareholders in RL (FANS) real information to perhaps alleviate/minimise genuine feelings that the game is 'dirty' It also gives the game oddly more media exposure, a news worthy story.

Incidentally, players salaries are not state secrets. Players / their agents openly share such information because they perceive a benefit to themselves in future negotiations etc If the RFU wanted to they could get such information easily / readily. The only people left in the dark are the fans.

Anybody work or worked in a large factory. I daresay every department knew what the employees from that department were paid and so forth. Yet, when it came to management, you rarely had a clue and it suited managers to keep it that way. It always amazs me how ordinary, decent working class folks are their own worst enemies.

Teacher Salary. Yes, it is a good salary IMO and the 'holidays' are excellent. However, the present day issues are based more around pensions, broken promises, protection of teachers from maliocious/false allegations and the quality of provision provided to your children / families by the Government/Council (past/present/future).

Personally, unlike many other people I work longer hours after my legal hours and frequently use a % of my salary to provide a better educational experience to students. I do so on the basis I will have a great pension and importantly I can retire when it is sensible for the school/children. 60+ year olds generally (not all) do not make good public servants be it teachers, nurses, fire fighters etc etc.

If billions are evailable for quantitive easing then why are ordinary people being asked to bear the brunt of problems created by others when clearly finance exists. Many companies / financial institutions use recessions / difficult economic times to cut staff / weaken staff entitlements beyond what is trulty necessary and whilst they do that politicians continue to act in a corrupt and dishonourable manner.

Sadly they can and do because the worst enemy of ordinary decent folk are themselves.

I have no qualms about anybody knowing my salary. Nor should anybody IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:In my opinion the answer is NO.

Councils, and other government bodies are accountable to the tax payer and how they spend the money generated from taxes raised off the public, schools are again part of this equation and in some cases responsible to a board of governors, where as a private run business is exactly that

you will always get some numpties shouting "your not worth that much " or using the information in a dereogatory manner if the player has a nightmare game.

I don't see what we or anyone else gains by putting the players earnings in the public domain, I would also worry about the possible internal squabbling that could occur within a squad if each persons salaries are revealed

My comment is simple the players should be paid what they are worth, how a chairman or board quantifies that is up to them and not the fans, however the RFL playing big brother is not helping the game nor the players and as far as I'm concerned as soon as the RFL get there heads from out of there arses and recognise the problems and have a mature debate over the issues surrounding the game, then sadly no amount of published information will be of use
Good post TEW

The players easily find out what each one is on and it rarely creates problems other than when a top earner is usurped. Shaun Edwards knew his value and was very careful to ensure he was paid above other players. It avoids younger and more naive players from being exploited.

What do we lose by having salary knowledge in the public domain? Nothing IMO particularly when a sport chooses to operate a salary cap which in many respects heightens the need for transparency. It would correct misconceptions by fans, fans whom the game should be accountable to. Those fans can then at least have more belief in the cap. At the moment most fans have little or no faith in the integrity of the cap. Greater transparency is no panacea for that lack of trust but it may help. It will certainly do no harm. No club has habitually suffered accusation of illegality than our own club.

Secrecy in any walk of life bar some very rare cases is a bad thing.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

This assumtion may be wrong but the amount a player in say football/rugby is payed,is negotiated initially by the players agent and the clubs management.If agreed by the player it then becomes common knowledge.
If i pick-up a Sunday paper I daresay I can find references to football players weekly wage,this must also apply to league players and union players as well.Which begs the question where's the privacy ?