Gregory movie hopes pinned on Crowe

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Gregory movie hopes pinned on Crowe

Post by josie andrews »

COULD the life of former Wigan coach Mike Gregory be turned into a hit movie?

A copy of Mike’s autobiography, Biting Back, has been passed on to Hollywood actor and director Russell Crowe, in the hope he’ll stand up and take notice of the courageous battle put forward by the former Great Britain RL captain.

It has been set up by one of the book’s co-authors, Steve Manning, who thinks the story of Mike’s life would be of great interest to the Australian.

The idea came when Steve, a rugby league journalist, was thinking of a gift for departing Wigan coach Michael Maguire, as he returns to his native Australia.

The owner of Maguire’s new club, South Sydney, is film actor Crowe – the star of Gladiator, one of Gregory’s favourite films.

So Steve thought he would give Maguire not one, but two copies of Biting Back, and reckons if it is read by the actor, he could well be inspired by it.

He spoke with the publishing company and Mike’s widow Erica, who also wrote messages in both books.

She said: “At first when Steve said Russell Crowe, it didn’t register.

“But when he explained the link, I thought it was just wonderful.

“Mike was a huge fan, and Gladiator was one of his favourite all time films.”

Steve met with Maguire last week, and gave him the copies of the book.

Mike battled progressive muscular atrophy, a form of motor neurone disease, until his death in 2007.

The book tells of his early life, career as a player with Warrington, Salford and Great Britain, his coaching career, and his battle with the disease.

And Steve believes the story is an “Oscar waiting to happen”.

“I just had a brainwave,” he said. “Obviously, with Michael going to South Sydney, there is the connection.

“I wasn’t aware Mike was a big fan of Gladiator, until the theme was played at his funeral.

“I suppose that makes it that bit more special.

“Who knows what he’ll do when he gets the book?

“He could put it to one side or he may, like everyone else, think it’s an amazing story.

“I gave Michael the books on Saturday, and he said he will pass one on, so we’ll have to wait and see.

“Erica has written a little bit in it, and explained about Mike’s affection for the film, and I’ve put something in about making it into a film.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/gregory_ ... _1_3885573
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Gregory movie hopes pinned on Crowe

Post by josie andrews »

I would love to see Mike's life told on the big screen.
It would be a massive tribute to him & his brave fight with such a terrible illness.

Come Russell, if Mickey Rourke is thinking of making a film about Gareth Thomas, I'm sure a hard man, such as yourself, would be ideal to represent the hard man that was Mike Gregory.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

There has been a lot of talk about the Gareth Thomas signing being down to the positive PR Wigan would get on the back of his film.

What sort of PR do you think Wigan would get on the back of a film about Mike Gregory?
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

DaveO wrote:There has been a lot of talk about the Gareth Thomas signing being down to the positive PR Wigan would get on the back of his film.

What sort of PR do you think Wigan would get on the back of a film about Mike Gregory?
If the film was done true to the book, the PR the club would get would be absolutely shocking IMO.

The way Mike was treated by Mo and Whelan was an absolute disgrace and they should be totally ashamed of the alleged way that they treated Mike.

Unfortunately, even though we've got a new regime now, the general public wouldn't be aware of that and would only remember Whelan and Mo being at the helm when Mike was sacked.

I suppose any producers would have to try and find a way of really highlighting how the club has moved forward under the new ownership, and is no longer ruled by a relic of the pre salary cap days and a Chairman who would sell his own mother, if it made him a few quid.

Other than that, the film in general could put RL on the World stage and really promote it as a sport to millions of people. Our sport will never be as big as football or a few of the American led sports, but as a product, it's one of the best and most marketable in the World. It's just a pity that we've got such a bunch of muppets in charge and the media doesn't really have any time for us.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:If the film was done true to the book, the PR the club would get would be absolutely shocking IMO.

The way Mike was treated by Mo and Whelan was an absolute disgrace and they should be totally ashamed of the alleged way that they treated Mike.

Unfortunately, even though we've got a new regime now, the general public wouldn't be aware of that and would only remember Whelan and Mo being at the helm when Mike was sacked.

I suppose any producers would have to try and find a way of really highlighting how the club has moved forward under the new ownership, and is no longer ruled by a relic of the pre salary cap days and a Chairman who would sell his own mother, if it made him a few quid.

Other than that, the film in general could put RL on the World stage and really promote it as a sport to millions of people. Our sport will never be as big as football or a few of the American led sports, but as a product, it's one of the best and most marketable in the World. It's just a pity that we've got such a bunch of muppets in charge and the media doesn't really have any time for us.
As you say the PR would be awful for Wigan if it was true to the book but I really don't think the producers would even try for one second to find a way of highlighting how the club has moved forward under the new ownership because the film would be about Mike Gregory not Wigan and it would not be in their interests to be nice the club.

In fact they would do just the opposite as the alleged poor treatment of Mike by the most famous club in the game is exactly the kind of angle the producers would exploit in my opinion. It is controversial so they would play on it. So they would leave it so the bit in bold I highlighted above is the impression people went away with having watched the film.

It would just portray our sport and Wigan in a very bad light. Even if they mentioned it was all different now (which as I said I don't think they would) no one would listen to that.

The mindless closed mind opposition fans of the sort who boo Sam Tomkins would love it of this film were made for that reason.

I also think if it were made they would need to be very sure of their facts or DW would have them in court like a shot. It could all get very messy and if it did I doubt the sport as a whole but Wigan in particular would come out well at all.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I agree entirely Dave.

However at the end of the film there should be a full screen picture of Mike, with 1964 - 2007 underneath. Then the next screen should say something like:

"in 2007, lifelong Wigan RLFC fan Ian Lenegan, bought the club and they have since won the league leaders shield, Grand Final and Challenge Cup. They continue to go from strength to strength, whilst never forgetting the legacy of Mike Gregory"

Or something similar, just to help make people aware that we aren't still ruled by Stadler and Waldorf.