captaincy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: captaincy

Post by robjoenz »

hayley 04 posted:
Well if Sean O Loughlin is back up to Kris Radlinski as captain what about more experienced players on the team who deserve a chance like Terry Newton, Brett Dallas, Brian Carney, Danny Orr. These players are all seasoned internationals whose influence on this great club is second to none. At the moment Sean O Loughlin isn't captain material and if its because he's a good youngster what about our unsung hero Danny Tickle who puts in consistantly good performances week after week.
It sounds to me like you just don't like O'Loughlin for whatever reason. Tickle is a great player yes, of a very similar work rate to O'Loughlin as shown by last seasons top tacklers. Hock is also another hard worker. I can't see the problem with O'Loughlin at captain personally, he's a great player with good on-field presence which is very important. I think perhaps Newton doesn't get picked because of his fiery temper, it would unsettle the team if the captain starts giving it what for. Carney and Dallas as mentioned elsewhere aren't really in the thick of the action as much as loose forward.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Difference is I've stated that mine is a personal opinion, if you re read your comment it comes across as you stating a fact "Danny Orr is the far superior player" There are no facts to back that up.
I don't think Orr has been at our club long enough to be captain, you have to really earn something like that and in my opinion Orr just hasn't done this yet, I would really like to see him settle in his position before pre-maturely handing him a priviledge. Out of the two I still think O'Loughlin would deserve it more, however I am not saying that he is the best person to give it too out of the whole team.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Sorry but why are you getting so angry? It was onyl a friendly match and it doesnt matter who is captain, its up to the coach and who he thinks will be the better captain, i have to agree with mrslam and robjoenz about your comments, they were a bit harsh!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I'm not harsh but i think the captaincy is a very important job friendly or not. I just don't think Sean O Loughlin is right for the job period. As i said, to me personally he's got a lot to prove. That doesn't mean to say i don't like the boy as ive got nothing but love and admiration and respect for every member of my team. I just happen to think that something like been a stand in captain might give him a bit more confidence and he really is a fab player and genuinley nice bloke as my friend who lives in Castleford knows his wife.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Couldnt that be said about o'loughlin? Big job huge confidence boost for an already quality player, he certainly seems to have been performing in the two friendlies whilst being stand in captain, so why not just give the guy a go, personally i think rads doesnt play as well when hes captain but lockers doesnt seem to have that trouble
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mrs_carney posted:
Couldnt that be said about o'loughlin? Big job huge confidence boost for an already quality player, he certainly seems to have been performing in the two friendlies whilst being stand in captain, so why not just give the guy a go, personally i think rads doesnt play as well when hes captain but lockers doesnt seem to have that trouble
Lockers has lots of experience captaining sides at lower levels, and with the age of the squads we're having to pick at the moment he knows most of the current team as well as anyone and can probably direct Hargreaves, Colbon, Allen and the rest as well as anyone else as they've all come through the ranks together. Orr is still adjusting to Wigan's style of play, it's different to the Cas style where he was the standout player, but then the same is true for Moran at London so why not make him captain?

At the end of the day, there can only be one captain on the field, and Betts has to make a decision. Many of us feel he's wrong in picking Rads as stand-in chief, but he's the coach, not us. Maybe we should give him some respect and hope he knows what he's doing?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

hayley 04 posted:
it wasn't a mistake signing Danny Orr as it was Stuart Raper who got him and in my opinion Stuart was one of the greatest coaches we have seen at this wonderful club.
I'll have to remember to ask my friend who works for Cronulla what he thinks of Raper, but on last year's performances he's not doing the best of jobs with the Sharks.

As for his time at Wigan, I didn't think much of his PR skills but he was a vast improvement on Kear, Andy Goodway and certainly Eric Hughes.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

very true fraggle, well said!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

Maybe your right about Kris Radlinski but I really believe it could be the making of Danny Orr. Then again we are the fans and at the end of the day it's Denis Betts' opinion that counts!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

As far as i'm concerned Stuart Raper was a breath of fresh air at this club. You watch Cronulla go this year. It's been harder for him to coach Cronulla as their players aren't as talented as ours and haven't adjusted to his excellent coaching skills as quickly as our boys did! I miss him but i do support Denis Betts.