WESTWOOD ADMITS TO PLAY-ACTING

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

WESTWOOD ADMITS TO PLAY-ACTING

Post by josie andrews »

England forward Ben Westwood has confessed to play-acting over the incident that enraged coach Steve McNamara during his side's 36-20 Gillette Four Nations defeat by Australia at Wembley.

McNamara insisted Kangaroos substitute Tony Williams should have been sent off for the high tackle that floored the Warrington second rower six minutes into the second half with the game in the balance.

Instead the 22-year-old Manly Sea Eagles forward was placed on report by referee Henry Perenara and the incident will be studied on Monday by an international match-review panel which will decide whether to press charges.

Williams' chances of missing the November 19 final through suspension could be helped by Westwood's surprise confession, which was made to reporters in the tunnel immediately after the match.

"It was a bit of play-acting," he said. "I looked up and started smiling, then I put the act on. It's part and parcel of the game."

When told slow-motion replays indicated Williams' arm had caught him flush on the side of his head, Westwood added: "Apparently so but I'm all right and I felt all right at the time.

"I'll probably see it next time we're in camp. I forgot to put in on tape.

"If it was a high shot, I'm sure the disciplinary will have a look at it and decide what they want to do with it."

McNamara clearly believes action needs to be taken and he was equally adamant the 31-year-old Perenara, a New Zealander in charge of only his second Test match, blundered again a minute after the Williams incident by disallowing a try to Tom Briscoe.

Perenara ruled the Hull winger had made a double movement, even though the elbow of his ball-carrying arm had not touched the ground, with McNamara and the 42,344 crowd screaming for the official to consult video referee Ian Smith after watching the incident on the big screen.

"I didn't see it, I was too busy asking for the video ref," said Briscoe. "I was a little disappointed he didn't refer it.

"My elbow didn't touch the floor and I just reached out and put it over so. He saw it a different way and it's his decision at the end of the day. It's happened and I can't change it."

Trailing 18-8 at the time, the gap could have been down to just four points but Briscoe refused to blame the referee's decision for the defeat.

"It could have been a turning point but we made enough mistakes for that not to count and put us in that situation," he said. "It was down to our own fault in the end."

McNamara, who was convinced Perenara had been affected by Australia's criticism of Warrington official Phil Bentham after their opening match against New Zealand, expressed his disappointment that the performance of referees rather than players was once more the main talking point.

The controversy overshadowed an impressive England performance, highlighted by two superbly-finished first-half tries from Leeds winger Ryan Hall, which came despite losing three of their key forwards to injury.

James Graham and Gareth Ellis went off with back injuries before half-time, which forced captain Jamie Peacock to heroically return to the field despite suffering damage to his knee.

"I saw him crumble in that tackle and I knew something wasn't right," said Peacock's club captain Kevin Sinfield.

"But to lose three big blokes made life very tough for us and, for Jamie to put some strapping on and come back out like he did, just shows the warrior he is.

"He is our leader and playing for his country means so much to him."

England battled to the end and were rewarded with further tries by NRL-based duo Jack Reed, who continued to impress at centre, and Chris Heighington.

In the end they paid the price for a series of defensive errors but did enough to suggest they could get the better of Australia in the final, as long they get past New Zealand in their crucial final group game at Hull next Saturday.

"We hung in there and put in a good performance," Briscoe added. "We obviously lost and we know we've got a lot to work on still.

"But we improved on last week and we'll improve again for New Zealand next week."

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Re: WESTWOOD ADMITS TO PLAY-ACTING

Post by First Try Tickle »

I bet Tony smith is made up with this remark, as it shows what they are teaching them at the Wire.

How many times has Sam been clobbered and you think stay down and get the guy done, but up jumps Sam to show he's ok. Usually the offender appreciates this as shakes his hand.

Now everytime Westwood goes down people will be calling him rotten.

I'll bet Briers has something to do it.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I bet steve Mac is fuming it undermines everything he said post match about the ref and makes us look like the whinging poms that the aussies call us.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very silly to admit it IMO
jobo

Post by jobo »

He's either said it to make it seem as if the Aussies can't hurt him or he is a plank. The way it comes across in the papers suggest the second option. McBannana should clout him every training session with a piece of 4 by 2 until he admits it genuinely hurts and make him do another interview.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Ban Westwood for play acting, theres no place in Rugby League for feigning any injury or to intensify the chances of an opponent being sent off.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

When I first read it all I could think of was "I thought this guy was a RL player, not a footballer"!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

When I first saw the incident my initial reaction was Send the bugger of you clown.And was fuming when I listened to the describe it as being shoulder high.But after this clown says he was taking us along with the ref for a ride.It makes you wonder just what type of rugby league player Tony the lizzard Smith is breeding over at the wire.We know they cheat the wire cap but to cheat in the game as well.It makes my blood boil.Cheats we can well do without.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Play acting! Where on Earth is our sport going.

In my opinion after this information the charges against Williams should be dropped and Westwood should be up for not playing within the spirit of the game.

If he served a ban or copped a fine it would serve him right, stamp this out before it gets going.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

I'd rather not have it in the sport, whoever the player. Rugby league prides itself on being a tough but fair sport, play acting isn't needed or wanted.