Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bendy hendy 5

Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by bendy hendy 5 »

Heard today off a couple of sources that both Sam and Joel will be playing a game for the Barbarians next week! Any one else heard anythin similar? Apparently Wigan are getting a massive payday for allowing this to happen :angry:
josie andrews

Re: Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan's Sam Tomkins lined up for Barbarians bow

Wigan Warriors Super League star Sam Tomkins is in line for a shock ground breaking one off guest appearance in rugby union for the Barbarians.

Talks are at an advanced stage for Tomkins to play against Australia at Twickenham next week.

An appearance by Tomkins on such a stage would further enhance his reputation as one of the hottest properties in world rugby.

He will be given Wigan's backing - he recently signed a new contract with the Warriors preventing him speaking to union and Australian RL clubs for the next three years.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... arians-bow
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Stupid idea :conf:
Is IL really so money hungry that he'd risk injury to a marquee player in a rival code ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

To be telling us all how Sam is not allowed to even speak to RU sides and then let him play in this game is unjustifiable IMO. He is supposed to be a RL player for the next three years, case closed. If he wants to go elsewhere after his contract is up that is up to him but given the hype around him committing to league for at least the next three years I think a lot of people will take that with a pinch of salt if this happens.

I hope it doesn't not just because given this contract it should not but because it sets a precedent and I could see RU giving the best RL players a "trial" like this every year.

I hope it is just a rumour but if not IL has lost the plot on this one if he has agreed to it.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

This thread better be a joke, he needs a rest, to be ready for 'US' next season.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:This thread better be a joke, he needs a rest, to be ready for 'US' next season.
Exactly
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

I "love" this total and utter contradiction:
Sam Tomkins is in line for a shock ground breaking one off guest appearance in rugby union for the Barbarians
he recently signed a new contract with the Warriors preventing him speaking to union and Australian RL clubs for the next three years
Then noticed the article concerned is "written" by none other than the biggest idiot in RL journalism

So he cannot "speak" to a Union club BUT he can play for one of them :roll:

I remember SBW played for the Baa baa's with no experience after swapping codes, so I cannot believe this will involve anyone else bar Joel.

"If" (for once Barker is right) and it does include Sam - then IL has some serious questions to answer should this farce "blow up" in Wigan's face for what is simply a RU friendly
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote: I remember SBW played for the Baa baa's with no experience after swapping codes, so I cannot believe this will involve anyone else bar Joel.
The thought it might be Joel crossed my mind as well. Lets hope it is.

If true this journo ought to be sacked. The sport just does not need this kind of publicity and its clear that at the very least it is easy sensationalism and headline grabbing material that will have been dome for not other reason to get a reaction and that is just not on.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

This story is featuring in the nationals this morning, apparently it's due to be announced tomorrow that Sam will play for the Baa-Baa's against the Aussies.

If this is true I think it's a poor decision to allow him to do so, all it needs is a serious injury and we're without our best player for the season.

Not happy especially as it's just a friendly after all :angry:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Its turning into a bloody circus!