Rose tinted spec's?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
georgeorwell

Rose tinted spec's?

Post by georgeorwell »

Spent the last hour or so watching Wigan v/s Saints games on youtube. The matches were in the 1990's and early 2000's. I know they were highlights and not the whole games, but I'm convinced the quality of the play and the players was much better than what we get now. It was magic to see Robinson, Farrell, Offiah, Quinnell and Edwards, to name a few, in their prime. Wonderful.

Thoughts anyone?
Kiwiseddon

Re: Rose tinted spec's?

Post by Kiwiseddon »

There's no doubt that it was golden era and the rugby was very good. It was a team of superstars whereas today things are much more even.

I don't think the rugby was better though, just different in a very different competition.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

I've watched Rugby League for over 50 years. Without doubt Wigan's golden era was the decade starting in the mid 80s, though we were wonderful at times before that. It isn't surprising that highlights from that time look so good. We were the best and Wigan's fans the luckiest on the planet.

However, I am absolutely convinced that what we see today on the park is the best it's ever been. Today's skill levels, tactics, fitness etc. are all superb. What makes yesterdays games look so good is that so many were one sided. It's always a moot point when one team dominates as to how much is team A playing badly and how much is team B denying A the chance to play well.

We simply do have many more evenly matched games today. Yes of course I'd still love to see Wigan win everything. But when I'm honest, too many games in the past were one sided affairs and the result decided in the first 10 minutes. You certainly can't say that today, and I believe the game is the better for it.
Stevethegas
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

stevethegas wrote:I've watched Rugby League for over 50 years. Without doubt Wigan's golden era was the decade starting in the mid 80s, though we were wonderful at times before that. It isn't surprising that highlights from that time look so good. We were the best and Wigan's fans the luckiest on the planet.

However, I am absolutely convinced that what we see today on the park is the best it's ever been. Today's skill levels, tactics, fitness etc. are all superb. What makes yesterdays games look so good is that so many were one sided. It's always a moot point when one team dominates as to how much is team A playing badly and how much is team B denying A the chance to play well.---(kooch) Well said! Yes we looked and played fantastic rugby.But at a cost.Rugby League was dying because of our success.Opposition fans stopped attending games because they realised it was often going to be a one sided affair.Money was no object to the mighty Wigan often causing abject despair to other clubs that could not compete with our buying power.I'm not suggesting for one minute that I did not enjoy our glory days because I along with every Wigan supporter cheered at every try scored.But to have a one sided competition became a dull affair.Yes it was fantastic having the likes of the Chariot,Bell,Miles,Edwards,The Iro brothers etc but to make comparison between the teams of yester year is a little unfair.We have modern day players like Richards,Tompkins,Finch,and recently The Hoff.All players who have and will continue to make an impression on todays modern game.The fitness required of today's players is immense! I would suggest that today's game is much more strenuous than it used to be.Over the years we at Wigan have been blessed with more than our fair share of talented players.And also players who should never have taken to the field let alone worn the beloved cherry and white.I used to absolutely love to see players the likes of Chariot,Robinson,flying the length of the field untouched.And two players of a different era Dallas and Carney in full flow.Oh thank god for our beloved Wigan who over the past 54 years have given me more memories to rejoice at rather than those I prefer to forget.

We simply do have many more evenly matched games today. Yes of course I'd still love to see Wigan win everything. But when I'm honest, too many games in the past were one sided affairs and the result decided in the first 10 minutes. You certainly can't say that today, and I believe the game is the better for it.
:D :D
pedro

Post by pedro »

stevethegas wrote:I've watched Rugby League for over 50 years. Without doubt Wigan's golden era was the decade starting in the mid 80s, though we were wonderful at times before that. It isn't surprising that highlights from that time look so good. We were the best and Wigan's fans the luckiest on the planet.

However, I am absolutely convinced that what we see today on the park is the best it's ever been. Today's skill levels, tactics, fitness etc. are all superb. What makes yesterdays games look so good is that so many were one sided. It's always a moot point when one team dominates as to how much is team A playing badly and how much is team B denying A the chance to play well.

but, saints and leeds could run us close. I think there was a lot of class about then and the standard was better then too.
jobo

Post by jobo »

It was definitely more entertaining. There was far more off the cuff individualism, virtually from all the players on the field. This is one reason I'm glad Hoch is back.
BriH

Post by BriH »

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

All good things come to an end. What worries me is that Saints losing streak at OT may do likewise!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

yeah, they might not even get there!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!