Flower set to blossom as prop

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Flower set to blossom as prop

Post by josie andrews »

SHAUN Wane has revealed he plans to use Ben Flower in the prop position.

The off-season recruit starred at loose forward for Wales during last year’s Four Nations.

And before that, he was no stranger to the No.13 role for Crusaders, with six of his nine Super League starts last term coming in that position.

The imposing presence of captain Sean O’Loughlin at Wigan had led to speculation that Flower may see action in the second-row for the reigning Challenge Cup holders. But Wane intends to use the 24-year-old as an out-and-out front-rower, believing his work-rate and tigerish defending will be best utilised in the centre of the park.

The head coach – preparing his side for their opening friendly at Hull KR this Sunday – said: “I want Ben in the middle, rather than on the edge.

“We’re fortunate that Ben is skilful enough to play at loose forward if Sean O’Loughlin is rested, that’s an option for us, but I see him as a prop – I think that’s where he’s at his best.”

Confirmation that Flower will play at prop whets the appetite for an intense battle for front-row spots in 2012.

Wane will switch Gareth Hock back to his old second-row spot, but that still leaves the new boss with seven senior front-rowers.

Flower will be contesting for positions with Gil Dudson, Epalahame Lauaki, Stuart Fielden, Jeff Lima, Lee Mossop and Paul Prescott.

Two of those – Fielden and Prescott – are doubtful for the start of the season as they recover from operations.

Wane added: “We’ll have quite a few props.

“But we didn’t have that competition for places last year – Stu missed nearly all the year and Eamon O’Carroll (now at Hull FC) was missing for most of the season.

“We’ll have plenty of competition now and with those guys getting the team forward, it should be easier for players like Brett Finch and Tommy Leuluai to find holes.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_4123190
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dobby

Re: Flower set to blossom as prop

Post by Dobby »

I think that Flower will go well at prop. His game is much more suited to that position and he will give us more strength in depth there.
ragman

Post by ragman »

Hmm.. not sure.. Is he big enough?

I know it's not just all about size,(that's what I tell the missus anyway....) and I can't say I've ever seen enough of BF play to make any real comments, but from what I've seen of him, I worry about whether he has the size to succeed at prop.

I hope he's a success - a formidable pack is the cornerstone of a great side, but I also believe strongly that a good big'un will always beat a good small 'un.

Time will tell I suppose
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ragman wrote:Hmm.. not sure.. Is he big enough?

I know it's not just all about size,(that's what I tell the missus anyway....) and I can't say I've ever seen enough of BF play to make any real comments, but from what I've seen of him, I worry about whether he has the size to succeed at prop.

I hope he's a success - a formidable pack is the cornerstone of a great side, but I also believe strongly that a good big'un will always beat a good small 'un.

Time will tell I suppose
I agree, but given the reduction in substitutions this may be a smart move by Waney. Regarding Ben's size I think I read it somewhere that he measured six feet and weighed in over 16 stones. He is certainly bigger than Waney so he can't be small!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

He's young enough and his build can be developed over time to make him a good prop.Remember that a prop generally matures around 25 or so.This could be a good addition to the pack.We where out muscled a couple of times last season and need our pack to be on top at all times.Waney understands what is required from a prop and if he said he's good enough.Then I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt or until he proves Wane wrong.I have high hopes for this season. :D
AD-veeerb72

Post by AD-veeerb72 »

I'm not being funny RAGMAN, but what do you regard as being big enough ??? I went to watch the lads Train at the Open Session.......wouldn't like to tackle him at full pace, he looks like a solid unit to me......Have you ever played Rugby ????
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

AD-veeerb72 wrote:I'm not being funny RAGMAN, but what do you regard as being big enough ??? I went to watch the lads Train at the Open Session.......wouldn't like to tackle him at full pace, he looks like a solid unit to me......Have you ever played Rugby ????
Too much played into this "not big enough". I have seen many a "giant" player with the heart of an anchovy, in contrast also many a smaller player with the heart of a lion on the playing field.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" is one cliche I like to use - but does compare favourably with many rugby players and their determination on a field, in which case size rarely has anything to do with it
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ragman

Post by ragman »

AD-veeerb72 wrote:I'm not being funny RAGMAN, but what do you regard as being big enough ??? I went to watch the lads Train at the Open Session.......wouldn't like to tackle him at full pace, he looks like a solid unit to me......Have you ever played Rugby ????
I'm sure he is a 'solid unit', and I'm not ruling him out - I'm just questioning whether he's big enough to play prop.

What's my rugby playing credentials got to do with it anyway? I'm commenting as a fan and an observer. As it happens I've played plenty of rugby in my youth, and was famed for the hardness of my tackle....
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

ragman wrote:
I'm sure he is a 'solid unit', and I'm not ruling him out - I'm just questioning whether he's big enough to play prop.

What's my rugby playing credentials got to do with it anyway? I'm commenting as a fan and an observer. As it happens I've played plenty of rugby in my youth, and was famed for the hardness of my tackle....
Sorry, I'd prefer it if you would keep things like that between yourself and your wife! :lol: :lol:

highland convert

Post by highland convert »

The thing about a prop is momentum. You have little room to build momentu and a good prop carries momentum through the first tackle. Size helps but is not everything. When tackling a good prop has to stop momentum. If you have a sixteen stoner that can do both well he is preferable to a twenty stone giant that stops on fist impact. Take your impact prop. His worth is only how many he can engage before he is stopped. He might make 3 metres but it draws in four players. His value is the three additional players taken out the opposition line. He has to couple that with stopping the other prop without so much assistance. Wire were top last year because their props needed so much stopping. Hopefully BF can gain such a rep. Hope that makes sense. The halves get the time because the defence is committed to the prop