v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: v Hull KR

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dear me. I'd have hated to see your marks had we lost 22-6!!!
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Thanks for your report & ratings.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Bit unfair Kittwazzer.

I thought the ratings (which are always arbitrary) were about as informative and impartial as they could be for a friendly match/first work-out of the season.

God help him had he rated everyone 9/10 and then they hammer Huddersfield, how subjective could you be then with any rating?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Official Report - Hull KR Match Report

A double from Pat Richards ensured Shaun Wane's first game in charge ended in a hard-fought victory over Hull KR.

Close season captures Epalahame Lauaki and Anthony Gelling both started for the Cherry and Whites, with fellow new-boys Gil Dudson and Ben Flower named on the bench for the game at MS3 Craven Park.

The opening exchanges were typical of a pre-season game, with plenty of physicality from both sides, before the boot of Brett Finch earned the Warriors an early repeat set on the home side's line. The new-look Wigan side were unable to convert it into points though, and soon Darrell Goulding and Josh Charnley were forced into action in defence, to deny David Hodgson as he eyed a debut try for the Robins.

The home side did open the scoring not long after though, as young full-back Matthew Russell misjudged a Blake Green grubber behind his own line, and Jake Webster pounced to score. Craig Hall converted to make it 6-0 before Charnley came to Wigan's aid once again shortly after, beating Lincoln Withers to a dangerous Scott Murrell grubber in his own in-goal area.

The Warriors moved swiftly to get back on the offensive, forcing back-to-back sets on the Robins' line again before Finch produced a pin-point cross-kick. Charnley brilliantly plucked the ball out of the air, only for David Hodgson and Rhys Lovegrove to wrap him up just short of the line.

It looked as though the Cherry and Whites' efforts were going to go unrewarded, but on the stroke of half-time, Goulding produced a superb offload to release Russell. He quickly summed up the situation, and cut inside, racing past David Hodgson and Hall to dive over.

Pat Richards' conversion levelled the scores at 6-apiece at the break, but it took barely seven minutes of the second period for the Warriors to hit the front against a Rovers side who had made a raft of changes in the interval.

Mike McIlorum spotted a chance from dummy-half and took off, slicing straight through the Robins' defence and generating a quick play-the-ball to keep the momentum going. Finch took full advantage, kicking long and into space for the flying Richards to chase. David Hodgson got to the ball first, only to fumble it and Richards was on hand to pick up and score before adding the extras himself.

With a much younger side in front of them, the Warriors sensed a chance to get 2012 off to a winning start, and immediately set about extending their lead.

Liam Farrell burst clear down the short side, leaving three defenders in his wake, only to be pulled down just short by Liam Salter. The back-rower still managed to flick an offload out, but the ball bounced agonisingly into touch with his support rushing up alongside him.

Mickey Paea almost cut the deficit for the home side five minutes later, as he barged over from close range, but good Wigan scrambling held him up and prevented him from getting the ball down.

Rovers' defence returned the favour shortly afterwards, as Charnley powered over at the corner, only for Aaron Ollett and Chris Heil to hold him up and deny him once again. However Charnley was not to be denied, and later in the same set, he was given another chance. The winger ensured he was not going to be stopped this time though, as he stayed low and drove over to score.

Richards added his third conversion, before putting the icing on the cake with his second try three minutes from the end, after Lee Mossop's break had freed Finch.

That completed a very solid victory for the Warriors and their new coach.

Hull KR: 1. Shannon McDonnell; 2. Craig Hall, 4. Jake Webster, 13. Rhys Lovegrove, 5. David Hodgson; 6. Blake Green, 19. Scott Murrell; 23. Mickey Paea, 14. Lincoln Withers, 10. Scott Taylor; 11. Con Mika, 12. Ben Galea, 9. Josh Hodgson.

Replacements: 8. Joel Clinton, 15. Liam Watts, 23. James Green, 21. Sam Latus, 32. Chris Heil, 30. Aaron Ollett, 31. Nick Johnson, 29. Liam Salter, 17. Kristian Bell, 16. Jason Netherton, 25. Keal Carlile, 22. Scott Wheeldon, 28. Dave Petersen.

Wigan: 27. Matthew Russell; 2. Josh Charnley, 3. Darrell Goulding, 24. Anthony Gelling, 5. Pat Richards; 6. Brett Finch, 29. Sam Powell; 14. Jeff Lima, 28. Logan Tomkins, 21. Epalahame Lauaki; 11. Harrison Hansen, 16. Liam Farrell, 17. Chris Tuson.

Replacements: 10. Lee Mossop, 9. Michael McIlorum, 22. Gil Dudson, 23. Ben Flower, 25. Joe Mellor, 26. Jack Hughes, 32. Tom Spencer.

Referee: Mr P. Bentham
Attendance: 4,147

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wane Fairly Happy

SHAUN Wane declared himself “fairly happy” after Wigan’s 22-6 pre-season win at Hull KR yesterday.

The Warriors fell 6-0 down during a scratchy opening half-hour, but drew level on the stroke of half-time through young-gun Matt Russell.

And they improved in the second-half, keeping their opponents at bay and registering three further tries including two from Pat Richards, who also converted three from four of his conversion attempts for a personal tally of 14 points.

Wane said: “I didn’t think we were as clinical as we needed to be at times, but overall I was fairly satisfied.

“We gave seven debuts and they all acquitted themselves well, and I’m pleased with that.

“Our defence and enthusiasm in the second half were good and they needed to be, because I thought Hull KR played well and they’re well coached.

“But I would have liked to have been more clinical in certain areas of the game.

“For example, we gave a forward pass from a tap restart on our 20m and I won’t accept errors like that.

“It’ll be a tough week this week.”

Wigan had half-a-dozen front-line stars missing including Sam Tomkins, Thomas Leuluai and Sean O’Loughlin.

New-boys Ben Flower, Epalahame Lauaki, Gil Dudson and Anthony Gelling all featured and settled into the side well.

But it was two familiar faces who earned special praise from Wane after the first of three pre-season matches.

“Micky McIlorum changed the game when he came off the bench,” said Wane. “And Darrell Goulding was outstanding.

“I was really pleased with Darrell at centre. He’s a skilful player and he’s just wanting someone to show faith in him, and I will.

“I’ll back him and I will work with him.”

He added: “The new-boys all did okay. They’ve come into a new side and they handled themselves really well.

“I’m fairly happy.”

Lauaki, who troubled Hull KR with his strong charges, left the action mid-way through the second-half with a chest injury.

But Wane said he should be fit to play against Huddersfield this Thursday in a game celebrating Sean O’Loughlin’s testimonial.

“He got a whack in his chest so we took him off as a precaution,” he said. “Lee Mossop also got a bit of concussion from an elbow to his head... but front-rowers get that.”

Wigan also face Salford a week tomorrow to complete their pre-season programme ahead of the start of Super League on February 5.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_4146467
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Did anyone see Tommy at Hull KR, I could have sworn I saw him up Rivington.

chris1234

Post by chris1234 »

Yes Tommy was sat at the side of me with his hood up.

On a sidenote Hull's number 23 Mickey Paea looks like a good signing, really strong barnstorming runs all game and looks the part in the forwards.

Also saw Josie and a couple of members of my family sat near her giving the Hull stewards some stick for trying to make the Brigantes sit down (unsuccesfully) hahaha the stewards were a joke yesterday, i thought Josie was going to weigh into one of them with a Wigan kiss at one point!! :)
RichardMathers @ MichaelJones86: don't bother coming then u nerd... or how's about u introduce yourself to me face to face you keyboard warrior?

MichaelJones86 @ RichardMathers: you would probably drop me, you drop everything else. Can't wait for Brett hodgson. Bellend
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

“I was really pleased with Darrell at centre. He’s a skilful player and he’s just wanting someone to show faith in him, and I will.

“I’ll back him and I will work with him.”

can't tell you how glad i am to read this, i really think Daz could be a top quality centre if given the chance.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

chris1234 wrote:Yes Tommy was sat at the side of me with his hood up.

On a sidenote Hull's number 23 Mickey Paea looks like a good signing, really strong barnstorming runs all game and looks the part in the forwards.

Also saw Josie and a couple of members of my family sat near her giving the Hull stewards some stick for trying to make the Brigantes sit down (unsuccesfully) hahaha the stewards were a joke yesterday, i thought Josie was going to weigh into one of them with a Wigan kiss at one point!! :)
Ha ha, told them to get a grip & to leave them alone, that they weren't obstructing any ones view.
So then started singing "Stand up for the Warriors" :lol:
doc

Post by doc »

Chris 1234

didn't go to the game but agree with you re Logan Tomkins looking a bit lightweight. Long term I think Liam Carberry may be a better option. Carberry reminds me a bit of Terry Newton the way he plays.