Carmont injured

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Carmont injured

Post by josie andrews »

Carmont out for about four weeks with a broken thumb :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Carmont injured

Post by Kittwazzer »

Terrific!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

And now we see how rubbish our recruitment has been for 2012.

The centre issue which has been obvious since Gleeson left has not been properly addressed. Gleason and Carmont to Goulding and probably Gelling?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Looks like Gelling is about to get a baptism of fire!

Hope George gets well soon!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Was thinking the same this morning. This time last year we went into a WCC with Carmont and Gleeson as our centres and now we are going to face the current champions with Goulding and take your pick.

Personally I don't think he'll throw gelling in. He will probably opt for Hughes but I would just shift Goulding and Charnley inside and play Matty Russel on the right wing. Gives us more experience in the centres.

Hope we get a 110% committed performance from all our players this week.

Gte well soon George
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

What about charlney at Left center with Goulding at right center and Amos makeing a return to the wing?
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Amos is still not fit is he? I would throw gelling in the mix, what beter way to get him prove himself
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Brilliant, just what was expected when we sign nobody.

Carmont was retiring last season then decides to give us more when everyone knew his knees are playing up.

So what do we do, we promote a player that McGuire didn't think was good enough for a centre spot, and a guy who's been playing amateur rugby in NZ.

Now were looking at goulding and Charnley as our experienced centres. Its a good job Leeds dont have anyone there, who did Barrie Mc compare Watkins to, Mal Meninga.

To me Gelling looked ok at Lockers testemonial so he deserves a chance.

For me, I'd play Sam there and put Pat at fullback.

But now with Farrell out that 2 extra places and with our current squad, I just cannot think of anyone else. Dudson ?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:And now we see how rubbish our recruitment has been for 2012.

The centre issue which has been obvious since Gleeson left has not been properly addressed. Gleason and Carmont to Goulding and probably Gelling?

I totally agree. I find our recruitment policy bizarre at times.

Following Gleeson's sudden departure we should have asked ourselves a simple question, have we anyone coming through the junior ranks that can replace him? If the answer was no, then we should have recruited for the medium to long-term. If the answer was yes, then a further question should have been posed, are they ready to make the transition to first grade? If not, when will they be ready? Such a scenario would probably mean that we would recruit for the short-term.

At the moment we have very few options. Carmont is on his last legs; Goulding is solid but is unlikely to set the world on fire; Gelling is an unknown quantity; Charnley did well at HKR and could be our best bet for the future; Marsh (I know that he is at Widnes for the season) has not stepped up to the grade; Crow has promise but for some reason we keep putting him in the pack in the U20's; Acton showed glimpses of promise but he was pushed into the backrow; Hughes has played centre but he is a stong running second row forward who it looks like we are trying to convert. All in all, it is a mess. A mess that can only be resolved in the next off season.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards