Wigan supporters do not deserve this Wigan team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TonyH

Wigan supporters do not deserve this Wigan team

Post by TonyH »

The current Wigan crop of players are far too good for the majority of fans in my opinion. Fans were so eager to throw in the towel after 1 loss last week and abuse players and management to the extent that they refused to enter the SSB to celebrate a fine performance against Leeds.

Many times supporters have shouted for a new Aussie centre, claiming that Darrell Goulding is not good enough. A young Warrior who played rep Rugby above his age group scoring Try's for fun (Remember 2010?). Mickey McIlorum's abilities are critiscised and disected after every game by fans - last night he was tremendous but what if he has an off day next week? Many fans will shout for a new hooker. Who was the young prop forward that made veterans like Peacock, Jones-Buchanan and Ryan Bailey look average last night? Lee Mossop that's who, who scored all three of our Try's last night? Josh Charnley that's who and what do all these names have in common? They are our WIGAN YOUNGSTERS!

We breed the best in the country - the majority better than Australia as well. Supporters need to have some belief in our players, sport is cruel sometimes and victories are often not deserved i.e. Leeds last season.

We are not invincible and yes everyone wants their team to win every game but sport provides winners, losers, hero's and villains and in my opinion our current Wigan crop of players have all the ability to mirror the successes of their own hero's from the 90's.

Certain supporters on here and RLFans should hang their heads in shame.

Up The Mont!
eccywarrior

Re: Wigan supporters do not deserve this Wigan team

Post by eccywarrior »

agreed with you 100% tony.

IN WANE WE TRUST
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

what will happen if we draw next match?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

ancientnloyal wrote:what will happen if we draw next match?
Simple answer to that one.They will remain quiet until we lose.Then all hell will break loose as per usual.Some people are not satisfied that we win with style only that we lose. :D
mikey

Post by mikey »

What an injustice to any fan who suports this great institution WIGAN RLFC.Every fan has a right to voice their opinion not just in sport but life in general,perhaps this gave us the performance against Leeds.God bless every WIGAN fan !!!!!!!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Yes everyone is allowed to voice an opinion but it is the contradictions that are there in black and white for people to see, judging a player on one performance to the next. Darrell Goulding will no doubt not be good enough after certain games this season because of a dropped ball or a missed tackle and will 'have' to be replaced by an Australian. :roll:
Up The Mont!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

15000 fans who turn up most weeks, out of that a small amount will always slag players off. Last week was poor,I did stay and clap the lads off ;must be a happy clapper:
Goulding in my oppinion has been made a scapegoat, we played some poor games under Noble. Even though more experienced players played poorer it was Gouding who got dropped. Maguire seemed to do the same last year, one bad game and he was out. Thought he was solid on D last night and gave out some good ball when needed, again he can't do either if you listen to some! Was chuffed for the lad because the crap thrown his way seems to have stuck with some fans..... Wigan play bad it's Gouldings fault. If you have this pressure on you and can still come good you must have somthing?
Mac is in the same boat a little, the best way to change fans minds is to keep performing like he did last night. He was MoM for me he needs to build on it now week in week out.
Some would seem to have a grudge on Sam Tomkins now.......fans are fans I guess.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

I can totally agree with TonyH that it was far too premature for some fans to write off our season after one game but I can also understand the frustrations of these fans too. I think its a little harsh of Tony to say that the fans don't deserve the team.
After the winter break fans look forward to the start of the season [when they are probably at their most critical as expectations are high] and when the players come out and put in a way below par performance in the first game against a depleted Giants team then I think fans have a right to voice they're concerns and opinions.
After last nights exceptional display against a strong Leeds team its obvious that the coaches and players have recognised where things went wrong and have worked hard to put things right.
It's true that we do have a fantastic crop of young players and it would be marvellous if they can emulate the teams of the late 80's and 90's. Lets hope that first game was a one off and that the lads can crack on and provide us with enjoyable entertainment and another successful season of quality rugby league.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whilst I can see where Tony is coming from, its important to bear in mind that only a small percentage of fans post on here or patron the SSB. The views/comments mentioned are theirs and theirs alone. The vast majority turn up week in, week out and discuss the matches amongst themselves, maybe over a pint in the pub, taking bad losses on the chin and moving on.

Forums are the domain of people who like to post on forums. No more, no less!
JonNichols

Post by JonNichols »

I'm new to this site, so wading right in to get flamed from the off :)

Personally I've never had a problem with fans mouthing off their frustrations in the crowd (provided the language is kept under control - I take my kids).

The way I see it, people work hard all week and pay good money, often more money than they probably ought to be spending to go and have an experience for a few hours. For some people that's about letting of steam. Others enjoy it in different ways. I know plenty "Waldorf and Statlers" who enjoy a 2 hour whine once a week. Good luck to them. They pays their money. I saw a guy a few years ago berating another fan for slagging off a really poor performance (I don't remember the exact game, but it was indeed an awful game). The guy doing the berating seemed to be saying something to the effect of "shut up, you wouldn't last two minutes out there". Which completely misses the point. Of course we couldn't do it, but we're not paid to do it! I can't act, but I still have the right to moan if I go to the pictures and the film is rubbish!

Abusing people in the bar is ridiculous, and to be fair to the original poster I think that's the tiny minority he's having a go at, so fair enough. But for the some of us, last week was really worrying. I was 50/50 as to whether it was a bad day at the office or evidence that Wane wasn't up to it at Superleague level and that we were facing a terrible season. Turns out we were worried for nowt, and yes, I feel bad for doubting Wane. The team that beat Leeds could only have been coached by a bloke who seriously knows what he's doing. Apologies for doubting you Mr. Wane, onwards and upwards.

All that said, paying fans had every right to criticise last week. And to be honest, the way I see it, if you've paid your money, feel free to criticise the team even when they win the Grand Final by 50 clear points. You won't find many people to agree with you, but if you enjoy a good rant, go for it! (preferably with a bit of wit)