Warriors Name Unchanged Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name Unchanged Squad

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has today named his 19 man squad for Sunday's Stobart Super League Round 4 game away to Castleford Tigers, 3.30pm kick off.

With no fresh injuries of concern from the convincing win last time out at Bradford, the Warriors have named an unchanged squad.

Jack Hughes is expected to retain his place in the centre after impressive displays in the last two outings for George Carmont who remains sidelined with a broken thumb.

Full back Sam Tomkins is set to make his 100th appearance for the Club on Sunday.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad

Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Pat Richards, Brett Finch, Thomas Leuluai, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin, Jeff Lima, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson, Epalahame Lauaki, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Joe Mellor, Jack Hughes.

Referee - Thierry Alibert

**Warriors fans are reminded that there will be a minute's applause before kick off on Sunday in memory of Robbie Millward who sadly passed away last weekend, Robbie was just 19 and the son of Tigers Head Coach Ian Millward.

Stuart Donlan, the Tigers Assistant Coach will take charge of Castleford this weekend with Ian away from the Club on compassionate leave. Our thoughts are with the Millward family at this difficult time.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Warriors Name Unchanged Squad

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whilst I can accept a minutes applause for a former legend of the game who has enjoyed a full and active life, I still find it inappropriate for a 19 year old boy.

That said, its what the family wants.
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

Kittwazzer wrote:Whilst I can accept a minutes applause for a former legend of the game who has enjoyed a full and active life, I still find it inappropriate for a 19 year old boy.

That said, its what the family wants.
If the Millward family deem it fitting and appropriate to have 2 sets of players and fans have a minutes applause in respect of their recently past son then who are we to comment?
As a father of 2 young sons I can't even begin to imagine what the Millward family are going through and my deepest sympathies go out to them.
Personally I find your comments a little disrespectful, as rugby league is supposed to be a close knit family environment so legend or not why should the rugby league community not have a minutes applause aimed at the son of a man who has dedicated his life to our great game?
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

The announcement of an unchanged squad is very pleasing as i'd heard a little rumour that a couple of players were being rested this week.
After 2 excellent wins I think its important to keep up momentum and allow the same group of players to continue their team development.
Could have been a potential banana skin to send a slightly weaker side to Cas as they are one of the teams who are usually well up for a game against us.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I agree with Kittwazzer that a minutes applause doesn't seem very fitting for a coaches son. This sort of thing should only be for people involved in the game.

I think that a minutes silence should be held, I would even been happy if the match was postponed, as i don't think Millward or Cas could prepare properly for this match.

I agree with clapping people like Terry Newton or Gary Speed, but most of us didn't know Millward's son, and even though as a sport we all feel for the family, clapping him doesn't seem right.

But if its what the family wants then that's fine by me, and I will be there applauding tomorrow.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

In some ways a minute's clapping could be better than a silence as during silences, they aren't normally respected. At Least with clapping you can't shout or anything as the sound gets drowned out - in a way
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
turf

Post by turf »

Looking like S.Tomkins has recovered from his "bang" last week then
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

turf wrote:Looking like S.Tomkins has recovered from his "bang" last week then
It was said right after the game last week that he would be okay for the Castleford game :)
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ben Flower out of todays team, Anthony Gelling to centre Jack Hughes to second row.

He's done a rib cartilage but should be okay for next week

Full commentary on Wish FM from 3.20.
thomo

Post by thomo »

could we not have got spencer back in?

A prop for a prop?