Storm embroiled in WrestleMania IV

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Storm embroiled in WrestleMania IV

Post by josie andrews »

The new season is just one week old and already the NRL is grappling with a new wrestling manoeuvre after the Raiders reported the Storm for a technique being termed the ''chin strap''.

MELBOURNE officials were left ''bewildered'' and ''disappointed'' after Canberra coach David Furner sent the NRL footage of six tackles by Storm players he claimed showed the club was employing a new wrestling technique.

NRL referees coach Russell Smith had already advised the
Storm that two tackles by Todd Lowrie, including one in which he wrenches the jaw of former teammate Brett White, should have been penalised. Melbourne officials plan to speak to him about his actions.

However, the other four tackles were deemed to be acceptable and Storm football manager Frank Ponissi insisted the club had not spent the summer rehearsing the manoeuvre, which has been nicknamed the ''chin strap''.

''No one here has ever heard of the name 'chin strap' before today,'' Ponissi said.
It was claimed last night that the name had been coined by the Raiders wrestling coach.

The Herald was told that Canberra captain Terry Campese complained to the match officials about the Storm's tackling technique during the game, which Melbourne won 24-19 in controversial circumstances.

Complaints by other players after the match prompted Furner to send the footage to the NRL but Ponissi questioned why a story appeared in The Canberra Times yesterday before referees bosses Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper had received the vision of the tackles.

''We are bewildered and disappointed to be brutally honest,'' Ponissi said.
''Except for the two minor incidents that were in the report [by Smith], which were exactly the same as the Canberra Raiders, we have no idea where this has come from.

''I have spoken to Stuart Raper and he and Bill Harrigan have looked at the incidents and they have told us quite categorically that there is absolutely nothing for us - or them - to worry about. If the NRL referees had an issue we would comply with it.''

Smith noted in his report that Lowrie should have been penalised for ''head contact'' with Blake Ferguson in the 22nd minute of the match and White in the 45th minute.
White could not recall the tackle when contacted by the Herald yesterday.

Smith also said the Raiders should have been penalised for lock Shaun Fensom using his arm as a lever and a ''facial'' by prop David Shillington.

Raper said Smith's report had been sent to the Raiders and Storm on Monday.
''There weren't any extra that we hadn't already seen,'' Raper said of the footage forwarded by Furner.
''For us it is another thing we just need to keep our eye on in regards to policing anything illegal in the tackle. People can put names to these things but our referees will just continue to be strong on any contact around the head.
''We saw a couple and we spoke to Melbourne about those, as if we have done with a lot of clubs about discipline aspects.''

The Storm have been blamed for introducing the ''grapple tackle'', ''chicken wing'' and ''crusher'' tackles to the game but officials insist that the club is now careful to avoid teaching their players any illegal wrestling holds.
The NRL match review committee have not noticed any new trend in games so far this season but former Raiders and Australian fullback Gary Belcher, who works as a commentator, said wrestling in the game was ''out of control''.

''You wonder how they sleep at night if they're doing stuff that could injure or harm other players; especially if it's around the head or the neck region,'' Belcher told Fox Sports.
''Every coach has had to focus on [slowing down the ruck] heavily for a lot of years now. They've really had to do a lot of work on their wrestling, it's just how it is.
''But when you start to look at tactics that are questionable, I think you've lost the plot, I think you've gone too far. We all want to win, but an attitude of win at all costs is just taking it too far.''
Coincidentally, Canberra players had a session of wrestling training yesterday.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z1oPCa8QkF
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Re: Storm embroiled in WrestleMania IV

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Looks like a grapple tackle to me. Definitely a penalty from the picture shown with the article.
Expect to see Wire and Leeds trying it at a stadium near you very soon.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
markill

Post by markill »

I watched the game, can't remember many tackles that looked too bad but this 'chin strap' thing has maybe already made it into SL thinking about Sa on Tuson
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

STORM HAVE BEEN CLEARED OF ANY WRONG DOING.Lowrie was a bit messy in that particular tackle and did deserve a penalty but to say the whole team were doing it was a massive over exagerration. raiders forgot to mention that raiders players gave a couple of face massages in tackles,knee in the backside of BILLY after he grounded the ball for a try.I could go on but I think that things happen so fast in a game.I believe NO player goes out to play thinking they are going to hurt another player.
Sick and tired of Storm being singled out when Refs say that ALL teams are guilty of doing the same thing.ALL teams have wrestling coaches NOT just STORM.
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

STORM beat rabbits tonight in a good game.We won 24-10.BILLY got another 2 tries tonight.WOOHOO
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Is that the same Russell Smith who used to ref over here?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

yes
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Strange that a few tackles over the weekend,(involving Sydney teams :doz: ),were good examples of this alleged 'chin strap' tackle - Yet not one was picked up ? or even drew a penalty ?
Maybe coz the Canberra coach had a win & didn't think his job was under threat anymore :lol:
Lots of teams got done over because a player had his nose in front of the ref at the ten metres :roll:
And a few teams got dudded because the tackled player locked their arm around the tackler,then yelled to the ref that they were being 'held down' ?
I think the sometimes forget that TV cameras can zoom in & the viewing public can see,(and remember) how sly they are.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Hmm ? The latest media hyped 'illegal tackle' appears to be a non event :doz:
Meanwhile.......................
And try 130 was magic to see :cool:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

Storm beat the titans 30-6. At the 60 min mark the score was 14-6 then Storm unleashed BILLY.His 2nd try was AWESOME and worth watching a few times.Billy holds the record for the most tries scored by a full back in the nrl.giddyup will hate that I bet.