Rads and Faz off to Uniion then...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Rads and Faz off to Uniion then...

Post by Welski »

Back page Daily Express.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Rads and Faz off to Un...

Post by Mike »

See
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... rrell.html for the club's response.

There may be some truth in the rumour, as both players are out of contract in 2006.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Welski

Post by Welski »

I agree Mike and much as I hate to say it I reckon this time one or both will be tempted. Faz and Rads are approaching 30 and understandably be looking to secure their futures financially. I'm not sure what their total incomes are at in RL but who could blame them for switching if it meant financial security for them and their families?

The article in the Express also carries a piece on page 87 by Neil Squires. He argues that RL is in great shape and whilst the loss to Union of two such high profile players would be a temporary blow to Wigan, the new generation of RL players coming though mean the game itself, is, if anything, getting stronger.

Still.... don't do it boys!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

I was so shocked to read it, i dont think faz will go seeing as he gets homesick when he leaves wigan lol, i reckon rads could be persuaded to go but i think faz will stay in league as long as possible. Who would we have to cover full back then if rads does leave?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Welski

Post by Welski »

mrs_carney posted:
I was so shocked to read it, i dont think faz will go seeing as he gets homesick when he leaves wigan lol, i reckon rads could be persuaded to go but i think faz will stay in league as long as possible. Who would we have to cover full back then if rads does leave?
Shaun Bris.....oh no sorry. :conf:
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Well you could be wrong there, when briscoes contract is up he could come back to us, ok so thats about 2years away but...
is the acadamy fullback any good?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Not worried as i've seen great players come and go and we find players to replace them (apart from decent props).

I don't think Faz will - he is Wigan through and through, and will probably end up on the coaching team when he retires, if he hasn't already been approached to do so by Maurice.

If Rads goes ML will probably want to get Lockyer! :cool:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Personally I think it's just paper talk and nothing to worry about for the immediate future.

True, both are players of outstanding quality - however I can't see them going to union for the following reasons:

1) Both have turned down big money moves before - unless the money on the table is soccer-esque, what's the difference this time?

2) Both players are getting close to 30 - which whilst not old in general terms, is towards the tail of their careers. This means that the union boys would only get a couple of seasons for their World Cup inspired cash. If union were to "raid" league for players, surely they would go for new up and comers? Obviously these players would not be that well known and therefore would not sell papers when they are struggling to find things to report other than another nil - nil draw at football, yawn.

3) The transition between codes is not easy. Both players would have to learn the new positional aspects of the game, something that would go against everything they have learnt since they were kids. Additionally Radlinski would have perfect kicking from hand (for all the possesion that ends up in the stands in union matches) and Farrel would have to learn scrummaging/rucking/mauling union style as well as the completely new skill of the line out.

So that about sums up my thoughts on it - of course I could be wrong and they could go and play for Sale at the end of their contracts - but here's hoping they don't!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mrs_carney posted:
Who would we have to cover full back then if rads does leave?
Melling or Vaialiki
Welski

Post by Welski »

Some good points Matthew I just think they might be tempted to give it a go if the money is right. Perhaps the current England RU captain might have had some input! Coach Robinson is obviously a big fan of the RL set up (as was Woodward) and I think he is desperate to find some fresh ideas to get England back to the top of the pile. I just think he looks at Jason R and think a few more of these guys and we are sorted.
Whats the worst that can happen? They dont make it and return to League a lot better off -with RL clubs clammering to sign them ala Spotty Harris. Whereas upside is they win the world cup become mega stars and get ferried round london in an openned top bus in 2 years time.

As others have said it would be a big blow but we have seen bigger players come and go.

Of course it could all be paper talk as you say but at least its passed the time this boring day in the office! :wink: