SW?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kol

SW?

Post by Kol »

Is he the right man for the job?

My opinion in no, he can't even string a sentence together and our defense is weak.

But, do the players agree wih me? Maybe, as ST on Sky said "he does things differently and we just need to get used to it."

The Wire game will be the judge of it as, let's face it, Leeds had one eye on the WCC when we played them.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
stevethegas

Re: SW?

Post by stevethegas »

If you never make mistakes, then you never make a decision and you never make anything. "Let he who is without sin . . " etc.

In 4 games this season we have played superb rugby and need fear no-one. We weren't good enough against Huddersfield who have gone on to show it was no fluke and sit top of the table. Both Huddersfield and Widnes played out of their skins to beat us, and then only just. The problem comes against London, who also played some very good rugby based on seriously effective defence. They were in our faces from start to finish and their points were not just good luck. So we do need to improve our defence. But when we played well we played really well, and that's why we won.

But, you're right about Leeds, maybe an eye on their game against Manly. And similarly Wigan and Warrington on Sunday night. Both teams aware of the big game coming up in Wigan on the 23rd. Both teams shipping 30 against. Both teams not at their best. Both coaches concerned.

So is SW the right man? Time alone will tell, and so far time is the one thing he hasn't had. It's easy to look back with rose coloured specs to the last 2 seasons, but even then we lost games we should have won easily. 3 times in Madge's first season gave away big winning leads. Let's give Wane the benefit of the doubt, and not be rude about his interviews. In fact, when he does speak he tells us far more than Madge ever did. So there!
Stevethegas
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Its funny how we never get these types of threads when we win by 30 or 40 points :blush:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Let us assess the situation in 12 months.

And insulting, saying he can't string two sentences together, there are a lot worse than him.

Stupid thread IMO !!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's far too soon to tell about SW. I had my reservations about him being put in charge (and still do) - however, now that he has, he deserves a fair crack of the whip.

Simmons has gone from Saints, which in my opinion is too soon and a knee jerk reaction. They lost several tight games against good sides with their key player missing for some of them (after losing their other key player at the end of the season). I don't see how the change will help them; especially with facing their bogey team who are bang in form next week.

Last season, saints (and predominantly their youngsters) over performed, this year, the other teams know what to expect from them and so they have struggled a little more.

Wane has made some mistakes this year and whilst not admitting them publicly, I hope he will have in private to himself and the team.

Whether he is the right man for the job or not remains to be seen, but he has to be given enough time to succeed or fail; so unless we have lost 50% of our games by half way through the season and exited the challenge cup - I expect him to see the season out.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Kol wrote:Is he the right man for the job?

My opinion in no, he can't even string a sentence together.
Fantastic.....

There's nothing like being slagged off for the way you talk by someone who can't even type a sentence correctly.

:D :D
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Personally, I couldn't care less about his oratorial skills, so long as his players understand him, it'll do for me!

As for his coaching ability, he is still on a learning curve and not yet in his comfort zone. He will make more mistakes no doubt but 6 games in, 4 glorious wins and 3rd in the table? Saints fans would kill for that and Royce would still be in a job!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

josie andrews wrote:Let us assess the situation in 12 months.

And insulting, saying he can't string two sentences together, there are a lot worse than him.

Stupid thread IMO !!
I agree entirely Josie, there are a lot worse than him (Wane) on this board. The way he speaks has no bearing at all on his coaching abilities.

What a blinkered, small minded comment to make. We've played 7 games, lost 2 and are still 3rd in the league with a chance to go second, or even top, next weekend.

A lot of people are very quick to judge and don't see the much bigger picture. Like Josie said, let's wait and see how we go on before lambasting the coach and his tactics. We're all great armchair coaches, but not one person on this site has coached or even played at an elite level.

We should be fighting the common enemy (not the peoples front of Judea) but the Stains, Whino's and Wolves :wink: :D

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote:It's far too soon to tell about SW. I had my reservations about him being put in charge (and still do) - however, now that he has, he deserves a fair crack of the whip.
Yes he does deserve a fair crack of the whip but if Sam is saying he does things differently I am disappointed.

A big reason why I was pleased to see Wane get the job was I expected continuity. I didn't want a coach coming in from outside with new methods disrupting the way the team was working.

It seems we may have got one who has done that from the inside which I never saw coming.

If he has changed things radically I am rather surprised IL appointed him in the first place. By this I mean I would have expected the job spec to be "Do what Madge did" not just win a GF and a CC but to carry on the methods and way of working Madge put in place.

Wigan had not been as well coached since John Monie until Madge arrived. He represented a return to the kind of professionalism and methods first seen under Lowe and Monie.

I expected Wane to carry on from where Madge left off and I hope he is doing but there has got to be a bit of concern that the continuity I was expecting by promoting from within is not there.
Whether he is the right man for the job or not remains to be seen, but he has to be given enough time to succeed or fail; so unless we have lost 50% of our games by half way through the season and exited the challenge cup - I expect him to see the season out.
IL will give him enough time. We the fans will have to wait and see if he has more in common with Nobby or Madge. I had hoped for a seamless progression from Madge to Wane but I have a feeling I will be disappointed.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

For those on here who work in a large company or among a large number of employees with different reporting levels.
If one of your directors / senior managers left would you honestly expect their successor to come in and make no changes?

Change is inevitable, it's not a bad thing. The thing that is important is how effective those changes are and how the staff deal with them.
If Wane has made massive wholesale changes, then it's going to take time for the players to get used to them, and it's also going to take time for us to see the benefits of them (if there are going to be benefits). After 7 games, it's impossible to tell whether or not we've gone forwards, backwards or remained static.
Personally, I don't think we played particularly well for almost the whole of last season. I remember going home from matches during Madge's first season and telling my dad that we looked clinical or ruthless. I felt that this was missing last year. I can only remember the Bulls game towards the end of the year that we played well for the whole game. The rest of the season, IMO, we just ground out wins and got the results. Even the Challenge Cup Final wasn't particulalry brilliant, in terms of team performance. We were absolutely World class for the first 25 mins, but then went off the boil and almost let the Whino's steal the game from us.

This season we started with a poor performance against the Giants, and the players themselves admitted they may have underestimated the opposition. That's the players, not the coaching staff. There's only so much mental prep that the coach can do with the team, the rest of it is down to the individual.
Then we backed that up with an excellent win over Leeds as well as convincingly beating the Bulls, Cas and an in form Catalans.
The Widnes debacle has been debated to death on here, so there's no need to say any more on that.
Yesterday we beat a half decent London team. I was particularly disappointed with our defence, but we still won.
Wire only beat Wakey by 2 points yesterday. Last season they beat them quite convincingly. I don't think there are any teams that are dominant this year, so to say that Wane may not be up to the job is really premature in my opinion.

We can't judge a coach on just over half a dozen games. Lets just see how the season pans out and things look at the end of summer.
I thought we really missed Mossop yesterday and Precky looked totally unfit and offered nothing going forward. I'd expect this to improve with match fitness and then we've got Fielden to come back and Amos as well. Competition for places is only a good thing, and I'm not at all concerned, at the moment, by our last couple of results.
I'm more frustrated about the Widnes match, rather than concerned.