Farrell - Judas or Saint

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevowarrior

Farrell - Judas or Saint

Post by stevowarrior »

Ok Rugby Union are once again showing their hand in that they cannot win the World Cup with English Rugby Union Players - they have to buy the World Cup, last time it was Robinson now it could be Farrell.

If Farrell stays with League then he earns the respect he deserves, if he goes to Union then, like Robinson he becomes a traitor our game, a JUDAS.

I don't want to hear people saying you can't blame him, I would have no gripes if a player was passed his prime and looking to extend his sporting career, we all have to move on sometimes, but to desert the game in your prime is nothing more than traitorous and if this is his chosen path please go NOW, dont take Leagues money for another 12 months.

People seem to oppose the idea of having feeder clubs to Super League yet they seem happy that Rugby League is becoming a feeder game to Rugby Union

Andy do the right thing and remain, as the badge on your shirt says, - LOYAL
Wight Pie

Re: Farrell - Judas or Saint

Post by Wight Pie »

I'm no great lover of the RFU but to say they bought the last world cup with Robinson is a bit harsh as I seem to remember Jonny Wilkinson having a small part to play :exc:

And as Farrell has played for the club for 12 or 13 years I don't think we can really question his loyalty to the club.

I don't want him to go and I don't think he should go but if he feels he needs a fresh challenge then good luck to him... Don't we as fans owe him a bit of loyalty for his service, accept his decision (if he does actually go) and wish him all the best for his future career? And lets be honest who wouldn't change employers (which in the cold light of day is all Faz would be doing) if we were offered silly money as seems to be the case. I know I would.

Whatever he does it won't disguise the fact he's a club legend and that he has been a tremendous asset to Wigan RL and RL in general.

I wish people would realise that times change. Faz won't be around for ever and we have a ready made replacement in O'Loughlin. We'll have to cope without him eventually so let him go with our best wishes and make the best of moving the club forward without him.

Ah.. I feel better now I've got that off my chest :)
MrsLam

Re: Farrell - Judas or Sai...

Post by MrsLam »

As a fan of Wigan I'll stay loyal to Wigan but if Faz moves on like I've already said I will be extremely disappointed. I completely agree with everything Daveo said in another post. If Faz goes, it shows up RL for exactly what it is. The RFL should be doing absolutely everything in their power to keep him. I thought more of Faz, I thought he was at the club for more than just the money, I know I'm talking like he's already made his mind up but I just have a horrible feeling that we are going to lose him and that it's a massive loss to rugby league in general not just us.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

I think a saint would be a worse insult to a man like Andy Farrell! All jokes aside (if you can class that a joke, lame I know!) I think Farrell has been loyal to the club but I do not think that means he should go to RU, hes in it for himself and hes after the money if he goes! I would beg on my knees to Farrell asking him not to go if I had to. Even if he did go, he would be 32 come the next world cup and I honestly think he wouldnt play in it. Sack the "bring back Craig Smith" campaign and start the "get Andy Farrell to stay" campaign, WHO'S IN?
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

StevoWarrior - I feel your pain, just like I did when Robinson left - however I would say this:

Whether Farrell goes or stays, he has been a great servant to Wigan; leaving won't change that - he has given them his all for his entire career. Whilst it would be a shame if he left calling him a traitor for doing so is perhaps a little harsh.

As a player Andy has only got a few more years left and despite the rumours about a coaching role, he could then be sold on to another club once he is past his best like Terry O'Connor and Mick Cassidy have been. That's how top flight clubs work, at the end of the day sport is business.

By leaving Wigan, Andy will leave them in need of a replacement and he will be hard to replace, hopefully Lockers will continue his development and grow to fill his brother-in-law's boots.

If he was going to the dulls, winos or heaven help us; stains then I would consider that traitorous - however taking the cash from union boys so that he can secure his family financial future is not

And don't say he should leave now - we'll need him this season!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

. The RFL should be doing absolutely everything in their power to keep him.
Scrapping the soddin salary cap would be a start. This is going to happen more and more if it stays in place. We had assisatance to keep Radlinski a couple of years ago, but apparently we'll never be allowed help again.

Challenge the rule in the courts, it wouldn't stand a chance.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

the salary cap will be the one thing that prevents us from keeping them both. For a while i have thought that maurice was overpaying some players and sacrificing our youngsters (which he may well be doing) but now i think when it comes to losing players who are so important to our team like the captain of club and country the salary cap is a stupid idea and should be abolished!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
stevowarrior

Post by stevowarrior »

"I'm no great lover of the RFU but to say they bought the last world cup with Robinson is a bit harsh as I seem to remember Jonny Wilkinson having a small part to play :exc:

Wasn't it Robinson that scored the only try! Wilkinson did the one thing he is paid to do in Union, kick the bloody ball!!!
mario

Post by mario »

Alex the Warrior posted:
. The RFL should be doing absolutely everything in their power to keep him.
Scrapping the soddin salary cap would be a start. This is going to happen more and more if it stays in place. We had assisatance to keep Radlinski a couple of years ago, but apparently we'll never be allowed help again.

Challenge the rule in the courts, it wouldn't stand a chance.
If he did go, it might make them get off thier backsides at the RFL and scrap the salary cap.
Perhaps that's Fazs' idea and has no imtention of going anywhere.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

the ONLY.. and i repeat only saving grace.. would be that faz would be going to kick & chase rather than another super league side.. if he chose to go to bradford or leeds etc.. then i would back the judas comment fully.. however he has been loyal to us.. 12 or some odd years now, won everything. maybe he wants a new challenge? i would rather see him go to the NRL than RFU, if the guy wanted a change..

andy farrell is worshiped by 99.9% of wigan fans out there.. he cant be going to union for the fame, as he is THE most recognised of any super league player.. to the soccer lovers and those who don`t follow league..

which leaves money.. i would imagine andy is the highest paid at wigan... ( he deserves it.. imo) how much more money could union offer him????? we get far better crowds at league games than at the weekly gates in the union circles..
very strange this one.. as they say no smoke without fire... but i can`t see farrell leaving wigan..
radz though... i would HOPE he stayed..