Farrell - Judas or Saint

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Farrell - Judas or Sai...

Post by DaveO »

Ancient&Loyal posted: Am I looking for something that isn't there or does anyone else have a funny feeling about this one?
It has been mentioned that Terry O has come out and said he was not happy for the last two years at Wigan and that this was to do with his testimonial game being switched from the JJB.

That is the only thing I have heard regarding possible upste behind the scenes but it would not surprise me for the conspiracy theories to start.

Maybe the fact the club haven't just told RU to go away as Farrell is contracted indicates a falling out between club and player but that is pure idle speculation.

If there is anything in it, then those running the club would be cutting their noses off to spite their faces by ketting him leave.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
It should not be his decision whether he stays or goes but Wigan RL's.

He is contracted to the club until the end of 2006.

When we chased Gasnier he was all signed up but St. George pulled the plug on that deal, not the player, by insisting he honour his contract.

Wigan should do the same with Farrell.

We will be much weaker without him and any chance of a trophy this season will be gone if as expected he has played his last game for the club already.

It is a professional sport, not amateur. Contracts are signed and no player should be upset at being asked to honour them. There is no room for sentimentality with talk of him having acheived everything or been a great servant and so its only fair to let him leave or words to that effect.

No offense to anyone but I think saying thingslike that is naive.

There should be one over riding factor in this and that is the best interests of Wigan RL (and the secondary interest of the wider sport of RL itself).

The best interests of the club are not, IMO, served by letting Farrell renage on his contract.

I simply do not understand why Lindsay did not killed this off before it got started.

Dave
Correct me if I am wrong:
Surely the man himself gets the final say at what job he has, the only other party with any power is Wigan RL to which he is contracted. We all know Maurice is predominantly concerned with money and if Farrell played out his contract would we not miss out on £400,000?

To me the talk of him getting a £200kpa salary tells me he's not in it for the money but for the new challenge. It's not a case of Union being the big enemy here it's a case of the old cliche; he's having done everything he can in domestic RL, and I can't begrudge him wanting an RU World Cup Winners medal.

I certainly agree that Wigan will suffer but if Farrell doesn't take the opportunity now he will not have enough time to get used to the RU code to play in the World Cup, if Wigan were awkward and stood in his way it would cause more waves at the JJB.
chloe

Post by chloe »

Forgive me if am wrong but it says on the badge ancient and loyal and ancient is what half of u seem to want faz to be before he considers leaving Wigan....Yes yes we all no hes only just reaching 30s and not 40s but i think as we can see from the injury problems hes had he's starting to feel the knocks a lot harder now.....so let him go and finish his career of at union.Yes Faz is true inspiration to Wigan and to rugby league however players come and go both good and bad and we deal with it. At the end of the day this is Faz choice and the amount of time and guts hes put into our club i will personally respect him and treause the memories of him playing and put him into the legends corner with the rest of the greats!! hes not gone yet and we dont know if he will (tho personally think he will) sooo lets get behind the TEAM and leave the speculation up to the media. :wink: x
Wigan4Ever

Post by Wigan4Ever »

It's time RFL realised the salary cap is destroying our game. It's a joke!

I feel very disappointed that Farrell is considering playing boring Rugby Yawnion, I always thought he was Wigan RL through and through and no matter what, he would always be part of it.

But whatever he decides to do, it doesn't get away from the fact that we need to continually develop the game and bring new players through. There are more Farrells and Robinsons out there, playing on Sunday mornings at the moment. The salary cap doesn't give that talent much incentive to stay in our game!
Cherry and White Eyeballs
www.wiganstpats2oz.co.uk
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

I can't remember the exact quote, but I was reading the Independant on Sunday's interview with some bod called Andy Robinson (England rah-rah coach or some such thing), it mentioned that discussions were still ongoing but that Farrell is "unsure" about the move. Now, I don't like to read too much into single words, but "unsure" suggests he's got a lot to think about and doesn't sound like he's already accepted the offer, leaving Wigan and the RFU to discuss terms. The interview was written by one of the paper's Union scribes, I'd have expected something a bit more positive or definite if this was already a done deal.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
Correct me if I am wrong:
Surely the man himself gets the final say at what job he has, the only other party with any power is Wigan RL to which he is contracted.
OK, you are wrong. :wink: You have just said yourself Wigan have the power in this because he is contracted to them. That is exactly the point, they are the final arbiter of whether he stays or goes. He can not leave without Wigan's permission.

We all know Maurice is predominantly concerned with money and if Farrell played out his contract would we not miss out on £400,000?
What do we need £400K for with a backer like Dave Whelan?
To me the talk of him getting a £200kpa salary tells me he's not in it for the money but for the new challenge. It's not a case of Union being the big enemy here it's a case of the old cliche; he's having done everything he can in domestic RL, and I can't begrudge him wanting an RU World Cup Winners medal.

I certainly agree that Wigan will suffer but if Farrell doesn't take the opportunity now he will not have enough time to get used to the RU code to play in the World Cup, if Wigan were awkward and stood in his way it would cause more waves at the JJB.
I think when players want the security of a six year deal they should expect to honour that deal. It cuts both ways and as soon as this blew up a quick reminder to Farrell of his contractual obligations would have told him to dismiss this idea immediately.

I for one don't think Farrell had given the remotest consideration to going to RU after the tri-nations but the idea has been sewn since then. Put it aother way I don't think he approached them.

I hope what Fraggle posted is right and he is unsure and does the sensible thing and sticks with RL. I say sensible because while it may be a new challenge at 29 and never having played the game before it could all backfire.

I reckon if he stayed at the end of 2006 he would get a two year extension of his contract with Wigan. He is supposed to be on 1 million over six years which is £167K a year. Given the likes of Craig SMith and Lam were supposed to be on £250K a year and took pay cuts to stay at Wigan when their contracts were up, extending Farrell's contract for two more years at £167K is not IMO unreasonable.

That would leave him about £340K short over the deal with RU but hardly poor. Better the devil you know is certanly true for Farrell IMO.

If the club have made him an offer such as this, then they will have IMO, done enough to let them off the hook in terms of trying to keep him. If they cash in when we have Whelan as a backer then it tells me Whelan has no interest in Wigan RL anymore.

Dave [/i]
Wigan4Ever

Post by Wigan4Ever »

I feel gutted Faz is even considering playing Yawnion - I thought he was Wigan RL through and through and would always be a part of it, whether as player or coach or whatever.

But there's no doubt the salary cap does us no favours. Maybe this lot with Farrell WILL make RFL see sense. There's a load of talent coming through - get out and about and see it played by the young kids on Sunday mornings. We want a fair deal for them or they'll go elsewhere too...
Cherry and White Eyeballs
www.wiganstpats2oz.co.uk
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan4Ever posted:
I feel gutted Faz is even considering playing Yawnion - I thought he was Wigan RL through and through and would always be a part of it, whether as player or coach or whatever.

But there's no doubt the salary cap does us no favours. Maybe this lot with Farrell WILL make RFL see sense. There's a load of talent coming through - get out and about and see it played by the young kids on Sunday mornings. We want a fair deal for them or they'll go elsewhere too...
I wqs only thinking the other day that when people say we have a ready made replacement for Farrell in O'Loughlin what will stop RU going after him once he has established himself, if not before?

Wigan letting Farrell leave sends all the wrong signals. Basically RU can have RL's best player just like that so why they would not tap up the next great players to emerge to replace him I don't know.

Dave
mario

Post by mario »

I don't think Wigan or the RFL are doing enough to try and keep Faz. It should be Betts that's talking to Faz and not Mo.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

This article by Dave Woods of the BBC sums up my feelings pretty well...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 261649.stm