Very worried

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Very worried

Post by josie andrews »

I didn't realised you coached RL cp, which team do you coach?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
brynmon

Post by brynmon »

If only Josh had got the goals,this thread wouldn't exist!!!! Talking about Wanes ego,20,092 posts, pot ,black ,kettle!!!!!!!!!! :( :) :)
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

I really do think some of you take your “experience” of the game and tactic’s too seriously.:conf: Everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of you think you are experts in the game … far from it IMO as the "big posters" are usually proven wrong and love scare mongering, this thread is a classic example. This is one of the reasons I don’t normally post a lot on here …. See you at the end of the season … with egg on your face …… or mine. :D
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

brynmon wrote:If only Josh had got the goals,this thread wouldn't exist!!!! Talking about Wanes ego,20,092 posts, pot ,black ,kettle!!!!!!!!!! :( :) :)
If only you could read :lol:

Had we won , drawn or lost we were awful

I will say this Wigan 2012 will lose more games than in 2010 or 2011
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

20,093 :doz:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

FWIW here's my thoughts;

I was concerned when Wane said he was going to do a warm weather camp, i know many here thought it was a good idea this that and the other but we always did them under noble and were always under cooked come the start of the season. Madge stopped them and the players were strong at the start of the season.

I was more concerned at the lockers testimonial that we played an entire team of youngsters despite being close to the start of the season.

We went on to be well beaten in our first game.

After that i raised an issue over Wane saying "it will be hard for him to change things enough to put his stamp on them without breaking a winning formula" hoping his ego would not shoe horn him into doing this.

We picked up a bit then and put in some impressive wins against Catalan and Leeds most notably. However should these wins been given so much credit?, over the last years we have an excellent record vs Leeds and Catalan are a very hot/cold team.

My concerns had subsided until the Widnes game. I expected youngsters to be given a shot, i did not expect the spine of the team to be "rested" considering the season is still early in it inception.

I took this on the chin and expected with the "stars" back in the team we would tonk London, we did anything but and to let a team like London score 30 on you is a defeat in itself.

Against Wire we looked very very noble like and our structure seems to be crippling under the new management.

However my biggest concern throughout this whole period?, Wane has never hinted he has made an incorrect call. Madge always gave a no sh1t account of what had gone on and Wane seems to be too concerned with proving he was right which is straight out of the Noble handbook. Widnes was a chance for him to win over some fans, he should of held his hand up and said "i got that one a bit wrong"

Where now for wigan?, I honestly dont know, if people are expecting us to do a bradford and fall from grace with a bang, we wont, the team is too good we will continue to win but without the consistency that Madge brought.

The problem is this team can dominate but the best teams are teams that follow structure and dont cut corners, wigan at the moment are doing just that.

Look at the stats so far and we are roughly scoring 2 points a game more than last year but also conceding 2 points a game more. So the stats suggest we are cancelling out poorer defense with better attack, but against wire we looked clueless with both.

I am worried not because of the results (losing to wire is no embarrasment in itself), its Wane in general, i get the feeling that he will over look stats and analysis in choice of what he feels is best, Madge seemed to be much more objective about his way of coaching, Wane seems to be impressing what he "thinks" wigan should play like or tackle like without considering if its the best way to do so
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Whilst I agree with most of the posts on this thread, we have scored 270 points (Wires 239) and conceded 147 (Wires 148). Our points difference is 123 and some way ahead of the next team Hudds with 107.
However, it is scoring and conceding points at the right time that matters. We have lost three games, two because we were not prepared and one that could have gone either way. If Leeds and Catalan each win their one game in hand we will be in 6th place so scoring more points is not the answer. Like most in this thread I want to see a return to aggresive defence tactics and not the Harlem Globetrotters style favoured by others.
wiganwarriordave

Post by wiganwarriordave »

I think there's a lot of people unnecessarily worried. On Wane's reign so far, i see this...

A man who is not afraid to give youth players a chance.
A man who is not afraid for us to play some expansive and entertaining rugby.
A man who severely underestimated Hudds/Widnes and (i hope) learnt from it.
A man who has still beaten Leeds, Bradford, Cas, Catalan and Bronco's, and came within 2 points of Wire.

On the Warrington game, i see this...

Warrington are one of the form sides of the competition, and i believe the occasion and atmosphere affected both teams. The amount of unforced errors by both teams was abnormally and uncharacteristically high.

We hardly got stuffed by them, and in my opinion lost out due to another disgraceful officiating display. Losing easy points by not having Pat kicking (did Josh miss 4 points or 6?). And the resident oaf Lauaki losing his head.

I agree the tactics need fine tuning a little. Hocky needs to pick his offloading opportunities a bit more. Lauaki needs reigning in (and probably Lima starting ahead of him).... But come one, it's hardly the start of the apocalypse!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Sorry to go quote mad - but a few points...
phil winnard wrote:I am really not too worried at all at the moment. I know the start has been very indifferent to say the least but I was actually very very encouraged by the Warrington game.
Last year I thought that Warrington were much better than Wigan - I thought their pack bullied ours with the likes of Carvell, Morley, Westwood etc but our pack totally dominated them last week.
Carvell didn't play, neither did Higham or Solomona - we were closer to a full strength pack (interchanges included) than they were. We were missing Mossop, but other than that we were pretty much there (I don't included Fielden as I don't think that he will play again and if he does, then he will be a shadow of his former self). Had they been at full strength, it may well have been a different story.
phil winnard wrote: I know that Lauiki has taken a lot of stick but I feel with him, hock, Lima, Mossop, Prescott we have a pack that is much bigger and more dominant than any other in superleague. We were far better than Warrington and it is the first time I have ever seen their pack dominated like that.
See above. Choosing EL above Lima is unfathomable. Lima and Mossop should be our starting props, with Prescott off the bench for impact.
phil winnard wrote: I still think we are average at centre and this could cost us this year but we really are not that far off.
I am confident that we will beat saints and everyone will be happy again!!!!!!!
Centre is one of the positions I would say that we are above average in. Goulding and Carmont are two of the best in the league with Hughes as back up.

After the way we played on Friday and the way that saints played on Sunday, you are more confident than me!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
kevccool

Post by kevccool »

Hi there all, first post so go easy on me!
I think some people on here are being over critical and should be channeling their energies into supporting the manager and the team after all they probably read these posts. We have all started new jobs in our lives and who can honestly say we performed at our best in the first few weeks and months in a new role.
The only blip in my opinion is the Widnes game we should have won that game and that 2 points could come back to haunt us come the end of the season.
Huddersfield have been a thorn in our side for a few seasons and always seem to raise their game when they play us and with it being the first game of the season can be forgiven. I remember them beating us when we had an 'elite coach'.
The Warrington loss was a very close call and could/should have gone our way but that is sport, that is what entertains and occupies us and gets us writing these threads.
With regard to the 'elite' Madge I can't believe someone who is Australian and had never held a full time Coach position and was just an average player himself could be classed us 'elite' even Madge himself would I am sure scoff at the suggestion. Warrington rolled us over convincingly both league games last season and I don't remember anyone making such comments. We were a hell of a lot closer to them last week than we were last season. We also surrendered a few very big leads last term under a so called 'elite' coach.
Perhaps that is one of the reasons we do so poorly against Australia that we have this inferiority complex and we BELIEVE we can never beat them. Plain and simple its a different game and culture over there. They have a climate for skillful rugby leage, more players to choose from because of the popularity of the game, more money and more resources. Interestingly a few of our English lads have gone over and had a real impact. Its like comparing the EPL to the SPL sure the top 1 or 2 teams would give a good account of themselves but overall there is more depth in the EPL which in the end all comes down to money.
Give Waney and the lads some time and I am positive they will deliver.