Re: captaincy?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Certainly, he is the best man for the job on the pitch, be enlightened, Jim
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Each player is responsible for his own discipline. If a players actions are affecting the team's performance and results then it is up to the coach to take action i.e. put that player in the U20s.

These are professional rugby league players not Sunday league men!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Each player is responsible for their own discipline. The only other person that impacts upon personal discipline is the coach BUT even Madge struggled to maintain perfect discipline re Hock for example.

IMO, Lockers let himself down last night by not demanding and giving Silverwood hell for refusing to sin bin 2 Wire players for professional fouls (obstruction in a try scoring position) BUT the caveat is that later one of our players may have been binned or red carded.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Because he the best man for the job by a country mile. Skilful player, great passing game, immense in defence, leads by example, lives and breathes Wigan RLFC and the bet loose forward in the Northern hemisphere, and possibly the world.

Who else at the club would you suggest if not Captain Fantastic?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Susi

Post by Susi »

Finch may well be calling the shots, but locks is captain, for me he is a bit too quiet at times.
That takes nowt away from his skills in defence and general play.
I do wonder how wire get away with that briers mouthing off all time to ref when mozza is their captain.
I would like to see a captain more like Edwards he knew how to fire players up when needed and to calm them down when they were over zealous.
Perhaps going back to Madges 5 captain format would be good.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ellery, Greg and Edcwards were the masters at controlling referees. Ellery by far and away the best. Greg could go pear shaped E.G Whitfield.

I know it is not PC in RL to encourage players to remonstrate with officials BUT at the first non sin bin for a pro foul, collectively, led by Lockers; Silverwood should have been left in no doubt that a pro foul = sin bin. With that complaint ringing in his ear he would have then at least sin bined the 2nd pro foul.

Match officials are all open to being influenced / controlled. Bolton benefitted yesterday from a referee caught up in the emotion of a near death in their previous game choosing to ignore a blatant penalty. Referees are human, scary as it may seem.
ragman

Post by ragman »

exile in Tiger country wrote:Because he the best man for the job by a country mile. Skilful player, great passing game, immense in defence, leads by example, lives and breathes Wigan RLFC and the bet loose forward in the Northern hemisphere, and possibly the world.

Who else at the club would you suggest if not Captain Fantastic?
Agree with all of the above, and then some, but these are qualities of a great player, not necessarily a great captain.

I sometimes get the impression that S O'L is a bit too 'nice' to be captain
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Best man for the job in my opinion.
Up The Mont!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

O'Loughlin is certainly very well respected by his team mates and is held in high esteem by them. They certainly see him as a great captain and leader. Leadership comes in many forms and it is not always apparent to fans watching on the sidelines.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Agree with everything here, especially the bit about controlling referees. This is something we just don't do and its costing us dearly!