Singing At Wigan.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TomThumb

Re: Singing At Wigan.

Post by TomThumb »

I am willing to try and get these ideas off the ground but as i am moving house in the next few weeks, realisticly for a few weeks i aint gonna have time, as making and filling boxes is the main priority. So i feel if we get enough support for the idea then i am willing to run with it and at least try and make it happen. Like i said i need a few weeks until after ive moved in. Would anybody else be interested in getting involved maybe as email collectors for an hour or two before the matches. The last thing i want to do is progress this idea to wigan and associated supporters clubs and nobody really interested in getting the idea of the ground. As ten men and women is better than one. There is enough people who visit this site to ensure this thing can work, i could even mail mike from this site to set up a link so people could submit or gain information on the project.

Therefore my question is who is interested in getting involved??

Any budding songwriters, any ideas on promotion and getting this idea of the ground would also be appreciated. I think its time to stop talking and start doing!!! Come on why not get involved its better than watching coronation street every bloody night.. just think if this thing works and the jjb turns into a cauldron of noise(we already have unbeaten record to protect). It could become the most feared ground to visit.. And those who get involved can say they were part of it..How good are away matches coz the noise is great!!!

:)
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

TomThumb posted:
are the .. supporters club approachable?
I'd say the supporters' club are very approachable, but at the same time many of them form the backbone of the choir in the East Stand so you'd be preaching to the converted. Their next meeting will be the first Tuesday of March. Sorry, haven't got an email address for them but it's probably in Friday's match programme on Father Ted's page near the back.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Wigan4Ever

Post by Wigan4Ever »

I couldn't agree more. We only seem to be vocal at away matches and the 'bigger' fixtures - Saints, Leeds ...

I remember when I stood in the Popular Stand at Central Park. There was a bunch of fans behind me who had us all in stitches - and singing along in full voice - at every match. Where are they now? When Wigan were demolishing sides we'd be singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, etc. Even Simply the Best doesn't get the airing it used to, ... and then there's DayDream Believer (Wigan style)...

The players love to hear the fans so let's make some noise like we used to for them. I've a feeling this season is going to be the toughest yet they need us behind them.
Cherry and White Eyeballs
www.wiganstpats2oz.co.uk
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

we should have a section on this website were you can post ideas for songs.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Like GeoffN says, I think it was him anyway, if the rugbys boring the atmosphere is likely to be too. I've never heard loud singing from a union crowd other than when England are playing and they all join in on Swing low, sweet chariooooootttt.
The layout of our ground doesn't help though, at Leeds all the loud fans will stand together and the noise will come mainly from them, the fans have the choice of whether they want to be there or want to move somewhere quieter. At Wigan there isn't much ofa choice, there's a small group with a drum in the South and a small group that used to have a drum/still do but it's very quiet in the east and rather than us all singing together we seem to like competing with each other. When we all go to away matches, we then have the choice of who stands where. I always move to be near the drummer which my 15 year old sister hates but the atmosphere is part of the enjoyment of rugby to me. I've also found at Wigan (from physical experience GRRRR) that some fans don't like to support their team vocally and find it annoying when others want to, I understand that they may be loyal fans in other ways but if you don't want to sing/shout or vocally support the team don't get pi**** off at others for doing so.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Pop into Down Under Leisure on Gidlow Lane, I know the lad that works their is in the Riversiders and is one of the East Stand crowd with the drummer.

Also, try RockFM, that bloke reckons he's keen to promote WiganRL, get them to wack off a load of leaflets with RockFM plastered all over them!
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Mrs Lam im always in the south stand and i love to hear the drum getting played. we managed to get to warrington for an away game and we were near the drummers & you ar eright the atmosphere is much better.
Feel free to join us at hte front of the south stand 25/2/05 Bradford game as i for one will be singing the team on. Also it would be nice to meet you. My duaghter is getting presented with an autographed home shirt at half time & i cant wait to see the look on her face as she doesnt know lol.

would be nice to meet any of the crew of here b4 the game.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

penhead

Post by penhead »

well we can solve this

everytime i sing or stand up i get warning for bein thrown out i get chants goin all time and u get dun for proking the crowd

whats up with callin the saints "scousers" i got banned for that last year i fink its balls at central park u could get up and chant and be no probs

i fink sud be able to stand up and surrport ur team
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

trotski i,ll be in the south stand as i like a good chant so lets arrange to meet at a certain time. what time you arriving in wigan and where will you be before the game
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

penhead posted:
well we can solve this

everytime i sing or stand up i get warning for bein thrown out i get chants goin all time and u get dun for proking the crowd

whats up with callin the saints "scousers" i got banned for that last year i fink its balls at central park u could get up and chant and be no probs

i fink sud be able to stand up and surrport ur team
I've never heard of anyone getting thrown out for calling the Skints, although if you're also being abusive then maybe it's understandable that the stewards want you out. Maybe you need to 'fink' about how you phrase your chants?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]