sonny bill williams replacing farrell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior till i die

sonny bill williams replacing farrell

Post by warrior till i die »

Australian champions Canterbury Bulldogs have signalled their determination to fight off a bid from Wigan for teenage sensation Sonny Bill Williams.

Wigan are thought to have identified the 19-year-old New Zealand Test forward as a replacement for captain Andy Farrell, who may switch codes.

Williams, who was the outstanding player in last week’s Carnegie World Club Challenge at Elland Road, is out of contract at the end of the season and is sure to be in big demand.

NRL clubs are forbidden from approaching Williams until June 30 but English clubs are not hampered by such restrictions and the Warriors are thought to have already made their move.

The Bulldogs are desperate to keep the rising star and have responded to Wigan’s interest by increasing their offer to the player.

Chris Orr, from the Pacific Sports Management company that represents Williams, told The Sydney Sun-Herald an English club had already stunned them with the size of its offer for Williams but refused to confirm or deny whether that club was Wigan.

“A couple of English clubs have registered interest in Sonny Bill and one has put a figure down on paper,� Orr said. “The size of the offer blew us away.

“The Bulldogs increased their offer considerably. Sonny Bill is a priority for them, definitely.�
Orr said Williams would prefer to stay in Australia as long as he could get a deal which was reasonably competitive with the best of other offers.

“It’s about Sonny Bill getting a package that reflects his status,� Orr said.

“There are offers from England and obviously there are going to be other NRL clubs that will be very interested if they get the chance.

“He wants to make sure he is able to look after himself and his family back home, but at the same time the Bulldogs are very important to him.�

Wigan coach Denis Betts admitted Wigan were interested in Williams but was coy when asked about their chances of getting him.

“It would be nice, wouldn’t it? Can he get here next week?� Betts said. “Everyone is going to talk about Sonny and I’m sure Leeds, Wigan and all the big clubs will be interested.

“If a player of that quality becomes available, then you would have to say, ’Please consider us’.�

Just read this on the super league website faught it might be worth a look.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
kt4ever_1

Re: sonny bill williams replac...

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I have no complaints good strong lad with a passion for rugby league! great player and i think cherry and white would really suit hm !!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

:D

Yeh, I've just read this story on Teletext.

Personally I'm not too sure if it will be possible to get SBW over here at this stage of his career.

But if should he choose to sign for the Warriors ... WHAT A SIGNING !!
The Black Pearl

Re: sonny bill williams re...

Post by The Black Pearl »

I watched Sonny Bill against the Rhino's last week and I actually thought he had killed Marcus Bai when he hit him. I believe that he's got the lot not quite as good as Ellery Hanley but he's a great talent. He seemed to have space and time on the ball which in a frantic game makes him a class above. Get your hand in your pocket Doris and get SBW over here we need him.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

The Black Pearl posted:
I watched Sonny Bill against the Rhino's last week and I actually thought he had killed Marcus Bai when he hit him. I believe that he's got the lot not quite as good as Ellery Hanley but he's a great talent. He seemed to have space and time on the ball which in a frantic game makes him a class above. Get your hand in your pocket Doris and get SBW over here we need him.

The hit on marcus bai was hard !! But only two seconds before that he had floored sinny !! The power of the lad is astonishing !!!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

That would be a massive boost for the club. Let's hope!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

IF FARRELL GOES THEN NO NRL OR SL CLUB WILL BE ABLE TO COMPETE IN GETTING A FINANCIAL PACKAGE FOR SBW.

ITS JUST A MATTER OF IF HE WANTS TO COME UP. IF HE DOES THEN IT WILL BE A MASSIVE BOOST TO THE PLAYERS AS THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE AWSOME.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

True

No need to shout though.
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

Dont believe it, he wont sign for wigan.

It is a smoke screen for another player down under. nick name MOZZA!
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Sorry for the shouting habit.

Id have Mozza anyday he is the best second rower in the the British game. Weve needed a proper world class second rower for a while now.

One thing is certain Lindsay is up to something i think they have the replecment signed and ready and waiting for Faz to go. The guy is devious at best.