Time to cash in on Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Time to cash in on Faz

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
DaveO, but you are missing the point again that it will be good for Farrell himself, he will extend his career, earn more for his retirement,
To be blunt, so what? For me the team comes first and people often say no players is bigger than the team well IMO it works this way as well. Why should Farrell call the shots on when his contract ends?
yes contracts are for duration not for Christmas but if it suits both sides then the contract can be vacated.
It does not suit both sides. There is no way Wigan will be better off without Farrell over the next two seasons.
He's done good for us but he isn't going to last 4 more years in League, lets get some lolly in and help Farrell.Oh yes, I like the way that you think £half a million will not matter to DaveW just because he is already worth £250m, how do you think he got that in the first place?
DaveW spends millions on Wigan A every season so the club don't need RU's money with his money behind them.

As to helping Farrell if he sees out his contract he will be helped to the tune of at least £334,000 in wages. That is his contract. In any case if you read the reports in the press he would not get paid much more than at Wigan i.e. £200,000 a year. Yes he might get four years of that in RU but to say Farrells career in RL is over at the end of 2006 is way off the mark IMO. He has the physique and ability to play atleast another two years beyond 2006.

This is a professional sport with the club run as a business not a charity shop.

I really don't care if Farrell can line his pockets in RU if Wigan are worse off without him and they will be if goes. They should make him honur his contract.

Dave

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die posted:
as brian noble said today if faz goes it paves the way for younger players. It would help lockers tremendously because without doubt he should have farrells place.
Farrell already plays second row with Lockers at 13 most of the time but as good as O'Loughlin is he is not as good as Andy Farrell by a long way.

How many nore seasons must we wait for players to develop? We don't want devloping players in place of players like Farrell.

I am sure Noble would rather face Wigan without Farrell than with. There is not a coach who wouldn't.

We also have not got the squad depth to let Farrell go. Did you see the subs bench on Friday? Extemely weak with two ex-academy players, Godwin and Brown.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:

We also have not got the squad depth to let Farrell go. Did you see the subs bench on Friday? Extemely weak with two ex-academy players, Godwin and Brown.

Dave
All of whom, especially Brown, had pretty good games.
Yes, it was 'only' against Salford, but it was also 'only' Wakey who beat the Bulls at Odsal!

The only thing that worries me is that it might mean the 'other' Sculthorpe getting the GB captaincy.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
DaveO posted:

Dave
All of whom, especially Brown, had pretty good games.
Yes, it was 'only' against Salford, but it was also 'only' Wakey who beat the Bulls at Odsal!

The only thing that worries me is that it might mean the 'other' Sculthorpe getting the GB captaincy.
The Salford game was crying out for a typical Farrell line breaking run and we just didn't have anyone in the back row big enough to do it. And yes that was only against Salford so where is the power going to come from against the physically bigger teams?

Dave