Sonny Or Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Special K

Sonny Or Faz

Post by Special K »

While i think Faz has been a great ambassador for the game of rugby league and an excellent leader for the warriors i do feel now is the time to bring in someone young with the ability of Sonny Boy Williams after all we should be aiming to build a team for the future. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on other players we should get rid of or new ones to bring in ? :eh:
mario

Re: Sonny Or Faz

Post by mario »

Thier is nobody to replace Faz and Sonny Bill does'nt come near. He's nineteen and still got a lot to prove yet MO will pay him the world rather than try to keep the man who has carried us for years.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:
Thier is nobody to replace Faz and Sonny Bill does'nt come near. He's nineteen and still got a lot to prove yet MO will pay him the world rather than try to keep the man who has carried us for years.
I agree when did we suddnely decide 29 was too old to play for Wigan and players of that age and the qualityof Farrell should be replaced by a 19 year old?

I think bringing a 19 year old over here is a risk. If he were in his mid twenties and more mature he would be a great signing but at this age he could quite easily get homesick and want out.

If you read the Aussie on-line press its clear he values his family and friends a great deal and doesn't really want to leave. There is more to life than money (A. Farrell take note!)

I don't think we will be signing SBW even if Farrell does leave.

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Special K posted:
While i think Faz has been a great ambassador for the game of rugby league and an excellent leader for the warriors i do feel now is the time to bring in someone young with the ability of Sonny Boy Williams after all we should be aiming to build a team for the future.
What utter rubbish. It's been said before but 7 days ago no-one would have even contemplated saying it's time to replace Faz with someone young and plan for the future. A week ago we would all have been very happy building for the future with Faz as the glorious leader to show the way forward for the kids, and I've not seen anything to change that opinion despite all the stuff in the media. For as long as he's a Wigan player, Farrell is the captain and driving force of the team, and I can't believe anyone would want to change that. Sorry to be so harsh, but he's not gone anywhere yet!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Problem now with Faz he is very injury prone. we can not carry on having him missing so much of the season. He's lost a yard of pace and therefore he was right to move from the No13 position.

Bloody Hell were going on as the club will fold if he goes. Hes a legend in the game but so was Edwards, Gregory, Offiah, Robinson, Lam and the greatest of them all Hanley.

The team will go on and if they get the right player in will be better. As a half fit Faz is a problem. Also its time for Orr and O'Loughlin to show what they can do. Orr is under used when Faz is in the team maybe its an opportunity for him to have a go.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
Problem now with Faz he is very injury prone. we can not carry on having him missing so much of the season. He's lost a yard of pace and therefore he was right to move from the No13 position.
Lost a yard in pace? When he came back last season he was outstanding and he moved from 13 out of necessity. He hasn't played this year so how can you comment on his pace?

I also don't see why he is suddenly being described as very injury prone. He has had two injuries. If he comes back and keeps getting injured you will have a point but he has not been picking up niggling injuries one after the other, which is what I take to mean injury prone. Carney and Dallas should be shipped out tomorrow if Farrell is injury prone.
Bloody Hell were going on as the club will fold if he goes. Hes a legend in the game but so was Edwards, Gregory, Offiah, Robinson, Lam and the greatest of them all Hanley.

The team will go on and if they get the right player in will be better.
With the exception of Edwards none of the above left before their time. Farrell has not reached the end of his RL career age or fitness wise yet people are talking as though he has.

Saying if they get the right player is a big if. It is like saying if we sign Lockyer or Kimmorly it will be better. We won't be signing anyone in that league and no one as good as Farrell because they aren't available, so the team will be worse if he leaves.
As a half fit Faz is a problem. Also its time for Orr and O'Loughlin to show what they can do. Orr is under used when Faz is in the team maybe its an opportunity for him to have a go.
Having an opportunity to have a go while Farrell is injured is one thing. Shipping Farrell out is another.

If Farrell returns he will play second row with O'Loughlin at loose forward and I saw no evidence last season when Farrell played there or as a prop he got in the way of the half backs as he was accused of quite often in previous seasons.

He had his best season for Wigan for years and here we are talking about him being replaced by a 19 year old. It is bizarre.

Dave
Rhino.

Post by Rhino. »

We will all have different opinions, for the record I think we should do everything in our power to keep him, but only one persons opinion counts;Andy Farrell's and if we like it or not he has the final say, and Sadly I think he's as good as gone.
It's if and not when.
But we have some good memories of him, I would like more but I just cant see him staying. :(
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Bloody hell are you watching the same team as me. Hes missed a third of the last 3 years due to injuries. Hes also carried on when clearly not fit.

And he has lost a yard of pace. He wae average up until the Powergen Final when he moved up in the pack. Then he showed he could play as a world class prop or second row,

I was not talking about replacing him its just a fact that he is not as quick as he was. Oh by the way Robinson left during his prime.

As you stated he had his best season since 98 as he has the pace to destroy almost all props or second row. Its time for us to talk about the players who wants to stay as they deserve our support more than anyother.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
Bloody hell are you watching the same team as me. Hes missed a third of the last 3 years due to injuries. Hes also carried on when clearly not fit.
And carney missed just about a whole season but we are not talking about getting rid of him.
And he has lost a yard of pace. He wae average up until the Powergen Final when he moved up in the pack. Then he showed he could play as a world class prop or second row,

I was not talking about replacing him its just a fact that he is not as quick as he was. Oh by the way Robinson left during his prime.
The thread is supposed to be about replacing Faz with Sonny. Robinson, like Hanley left when his contract was up. Farrell's contract is not up and that is the important difference IMO. Were Farrell's contract up at the end of the season and he decided to move on that would IMO be a whole different ball game.

As you stated he had his best season since 98 as he has the pace to destroy almost all props or second row. Its time for us to talk about the players who wants to stay as they deserve our support more than anyother.
Well if he does go I am sure we already kow who will play where.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i cannot see any advantage to us by getting rid of faz i think some emotions are running high as some fans are a bit shocked but every effort should be made to get him to stay