Re: bennett moaning or is he right?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

As usual - a nice bit of Bennett hypocrisy :roll:
First to employ a fulltime wrestling coach :roll:
One of the first to coach the slow play the ball :roll:
And now that it's commonplace he labels it EVIL :doz:

The last few games I've watched the refs have been pinging players for being slow in the tackle & have been calling 'held' in some cases before the tackled player is on the ground.

Don't like the third man in diving at the legs,but a three man gang tackle is the only way to stop some of today's props :(
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

bennet is only whinging because his team the knights aren`t doing very well. Like Bourbs says bennet was probably the 1st coach to employ a wrestling coach but because the knights aren`t any good at it then he has to try and stop the better teams having an advantage.
It used to be a couple of weeks before a bennet coached team played STORM he would nit pick about something of STORM and by the time the game was played it was made into something big.We wait for it every season.
The problem for bennett is CRAIG BELLAMY turned out a better coach than he wanted him to be.
The teams bennet has coached has said he always put more effort into beating CRAIG BELLAMY. which he isn`t very successful at.
NO bennet is NOT RIGHT.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Wrestling is what usually happens to slow down the PTB after a player is tackled.
Define 'correct tackling technique' ?

- W C Fields
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

hey 2 eyed..I find watching STORM VERY ENTERTAINING EVERY WEEK. :)
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

I tried searching for a common definition used by coaches,(mainly of juniors),of how to tackle & found basically the same things you've mentioned. Unfortunately due to the size / fitness levels of today's front rowers,(and not a few wingers/centres)players are hard to put down with simple tackles.This is not helped by the disparity in various ref's definition of when a tackle is complete.
If you watched the Storm v Warriors game you'd have seen tackles called held when players still had forward momentum & others with players held up & dragged/lifted backwards with no call ?

There does need to be a re-definition of what constitutes a legal tackle & when there is 'excessive/unnecessary' force used. Also a CLEAR definition of what is allowed in slowing the PTB.

Everyone wants to see an entertaining & skillful game but
A bash fest of unstoppable props or PTB's so fast that the opposition never gets a chance to be back the ten is not going to be entertaining for long.

According to Bill Harrigan there has been a marked decrease in what are deemed dangerous tackling techniques in the NRL this season ? Sorry couldn't find an online link to an article.

- W C Fields
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Thanx for that info :cool:

I just dragged this of NRL.com

Wrestlemania? Why teams are really dominating

- W C Fields
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Only time you usually see an uproar in the NRL is when the Storm go top of the ladder. I do not follow the NRL that much and hey presto checked on the NRL page and guess what who is top.

This seems a bit sour grapes when you read that Bennett is one of the architects of this in the game. Though he should be more concerned about the ponts Storm have scored.

Once again the NRL are debating something that is not dangerous, wrestling technique is not dangerous a dangerous tackle is.
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

Gimble you are so right. When we played for no points then nothing was mentioned about our style of play even though we won alot of games.In season 2011 when we were near the top then it all started again and now again this season.We get really fed up with it all.Even refs come out and say all clubs are doing the wrestling techniques not just Storm. You could depend on bennett (in past seasons) a couple of weeks before playing STORM would come out and complain about STORM coming off the line too quick,tackling techniques etc etc.It would get the ball rolling in the media and they would run with it and build it up to fever pitch.What he really was saying was "I need all the help I can get off the refs as I just DON`T KNOW HOW TO BEAT STORM" A week after the game then nothing would be mentioned again.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

T E W - I thought the Bunnies game was a let down.
I expected a lot of effort on Storm's part to negate the likes of Taylor,(VERY hard to stop effectively) & the unpredictability of G.I.
Turned out to be a non event :(

Scoring for fun :eh: I WISH :lol:

Those stats are strange right ?
According to those it's all about 'territory' but if that was the case why aren't those teams winning the territorial stats way in front of Storm ?
Maybe 'coz territorial advantage has to be backed up with a 'team plan' that is effective ?

I think NRL clubs are STILL buying into the "Big Three" crap put about by the media & expecting lots of heavy wrestle type tackles,(which they hope will draw penalties)
This is a HUGE mistake :wink:
From what I've seen this season bellyaches core principal is unchanged - 'Defence Wins Games' but he's spreading the attacking load over the whole team,so teams kicking into touch to stop Bill from a big return run or trying to intimidate Coops when he kicks are not going to gain much advantage.
- W C Fields
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Ryan's slipped right back in.he was a bit jaded the last few seasons before he headed 'North'.It did him & his confidence a lot of good.He still has the occasional brain explosion but he's getting there :cool:

Long way to go in the season yet & the SOO period is a huge banana skin time for Storm.

Early start for me Saturday :doz:
Gotta get up at 5AM to watch Fev v Wigan :cool:
- W C Fields