The Vaseline Kid

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
bourbon_rat

The Vaseline Kid

Post by bourbon_rat »

This is what NRL commentators have dubbed Graham because he smears his legs in the stuff before taking the field ?
I guess he can look forward to LOTS of NRL opponents doing THIS
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
josie andrews

Re: The Vaseline Kid

Post by josie andrews »

NRL ban James Graham using Vaseline

James Graham has been formally banned by the NRL for applying Vaseline to the back of his legs.

Graham came under fire this week after he was seen on camera with his legs smothered in the petroleum jelly substance. It resulted in Titans prop Nate Myles rubbing the Vaseline in Graham’s face after completing a tackle during the Canterbury v Gold Coast match.

The tactic is designed to make Graham too slippery for opponents to tackle, and make the ball slippery for attackers with greasy hands.

NRL Director of Football Operations Nathan McGurk met with the Bulldogs’ chief executive Todd Greenburg this week to resolve the matter.

McGurk said: “James can continue putting Vaseline on his legs, as can every player, but he won't be coating it on like he has been.

“It's a very minor matter, and something that can be quickly resolved and we believe it has been.”

McGurk admitted Graham had not broken any rules, but he wanted to outlaw the practise as part of a commonsense approach.

He said: “There is nothing in the rules regarding it, but I have spoken to Todd and we've come to an agreement we are both comfortable with.”

Graham will be expected to compete in Canterbury’s next match against Cronulla Sharks at ANZ Stadium on Monday. The match will be televised on Premier Sports at 10am.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_904 ... line.html?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

The NRL has ordered Canterbury-Bankstown prop James Graham to stop coating the backs of his legs in swathes of vaseline, following claims the action goes against the spirit of the game.
And here I was thinking "going against the spirit of the game" was painted on the wall of the St Helens training room :roll:
- W C Fields
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

"Impressive in his 1st year in the NRL"
:conf:
The latest comment made by a commentator on Graham ??

OK - I JUST DON'T GET IT !!
I'm watching him in the Dogs v Sharks game & in a team that has skill,speed,fitness & a REALLY sharp offload game - Graham shows all the speed & skill of a lumbering truck :doz:

I'm beginning to think it's a case of 'paid pocket pissing'by the media,
because the guy isn't in the same class as his Bulldog team mates !
- W C Fields
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

I can`t remember graham playing against us Bourbs.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Stormfan wrote:I can`t remember graham playing against us Bourbs.
Came on about the 18 minute mark
http://www.nrl.com/Video/SmartReplay/ta ... fault.aspx
- W C Fields
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Graham is a quality front rower IMO

The vaseline. A certain Ellery Hanley used to have plenty on his knees / legs (not to the Graham degree) and if we kicked off to the opposition he used to smear it on the ball making it harder to field.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

In the NRL context I'd class him as an average Front rower,who gets 'bigged up' by the media because he's from Super League.
If you watched SOO I then you saw some 'quality Front rowers'. I personally don't think he's in that class.
- W C Fields
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

bourbon_rat wrote:In the NRL context I'd class him as an average Front rower,who gets 'bigged up' by the media because he's from Super League.
If you watched SOO I then you saw some 'quality Front rowers'. I personally don't think he's in that class.
I would pick him in my team every time BR but vive la difference
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

bourbon_rat wrote:In the NRL context I'd class him as an average Front rower,who gets 'bigged up' by the media because he's from Super League.
Completely disagree but there you go. JG is a class act, his work ethic is fantastic and he's a rarity these days as one of the best ball playing props there is.

Fantastic prop IMO.