Northampton to be called Rebels

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Northampton to be called Rebels

Post by josie andrews »

Northampton Town Football Club are delighted to announce that the new Rugby League team based at Sixfields, set to kick off in Championship 1 next February, will have a name paying tribute to the huge historical importance of the area, and will be called the Northampton Rebels.

The name Rebels was chosen after a public vote having originally been put forward by John Marlow, who is a Cobblers, Saints and Leeds Rhinos supporter.

John said; "I am delighted and honoured that Rebels has been voted for by fans to become the name of the new Rugby League side. The name pays tribute to Northampton's support for the parliamentarians during the English Civil War. This was an important point in not only our history but the history of the country. It's exciting to know that Northampton Rebels will be represented nationally in Championship 1. I am honoured to be part of this history and it is something that I will proudly share with my children and grandchildren. Go Rebels!!!!!"

The Northampton Rugby League Fan Panel included the name on a shortlist of 7 (created from an original 67 supporter led suggestions) that went out to the public vote. The name 'Rebels' was successfully chosen ahead of Revolution, Vipers, Nemesis, Pioneers, Roundheads and Diggers.

So, now the preparations step up a gear for the newly named Northampton Rebels, and we now want the views of supporters to help choose a badge for the new club.

Four potential badge designs are available to view now at www.rebels-vote.co.uk. Supporters can visit the web site, take a look at the designs and then cast their vote. The closing date for votes is Thursday June 14th and the winning badge will be announced shortly afterwards.

Interviews for the Head Coach position have been taking place, and supporters can follow the latest news and views from the new Rugby League team on Twitter at www.twitter.com/rebelsrl.

The club are now looking for commercial partners and sponsors for the Northampton Rebels. For more information, interested parties should please email andy.wooldridge@ntfc.tv

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/25 ... led-rebels
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Northampton to be called Rebels

Post by jobo »

Good name for Saints that "Cobblers". Saint Cobblers also has a nice ring to it