Daz Goulding

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Daz Goulding

Post by cpwigan »

Again superb. Great defence and two lovely Gidley back of the hand passes. International class? Certainly a squad member surely.
Dobby

Re: Daz Goulding

Post by Dobby »

I really do think that his all round game is better than any other English centre in Super League. He is good in every area that a centre needs, excellant in some, and can do it all. Yes there are centres that are better in particular areas, Atkins for example is a fine athlete but he has major flaws in his game, such as decision making and handling, where Goulding is far superior. Watkins is poor defensively, Hardaker cant pass etc and this applies to all the English centres that I can think of in SL. Goulding doesnt really have glaring weaknesses like these players and has a better all round centre game.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Dobby wrote:I really do think that his all round game is better than any other English centre in Super League. He is good in every area that a centre needs, excellant in some, and can do it all. Yes there are centres that are better in particular areas, Atkins for example is a fine athlete but he has major flaws in his game, such as decision making and handling, where Goulding is far superior. Watkins is poor defensively, Hardaker cant pass etc and this applies to all the English centres that I can think of in SL. Goulding doesnt really have glaring weaknesses like these players and has a better all round centre game.
Agree completely about Daz, has anyone got any thoughts on Cudjoe?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I was trying to think where Gaz ranks compared to other British centres and I was hard pressed to come up with a better one at the pressent time. Bridge / Atkins have plusses and minuses. Shenton / Yeoman and Welham are behind Daz IMO.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

On current form for me the best 2 are Goulding and Atkins and neither are in the England Squad, puzzling!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

DG has done very well this year so far. Taken his chance with both hands. Great to see and very pleased for him. He stuck it out through the out of favour Noble years and his injury last season and he deserves credit for that as much as his play. A lot of players would have given up or asked for a move.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Daz has been absolutely superb so far, he's really made a step up and you can see the confidence he's built up.

It would have been so easy for him to walk away from the club especially as he found himself out of the team for large periods of last season but he's dug in and now both he and the team are reaping the rewards.

Well done Daz, keep up the good work. :D
phil winnard

Post by phil winnard »

I remember posting a few months ago that I thought Goulding was a good steady centre but lacked the pace and size to be a really world class one. Must admit that I am really having second thoughts. He seems to get better and better and never seems to make any errors. His defence is great and he is starting to be a real wingers centre. He seems to have learned to give Charnley the ball at exactly the right time and I thought he was probably the only centre in SL at the moment that could have got those passes away for Charnley tries last night. It is all the more impressive because he has to pass from left to right and that is much harder than right to left for a right handed player.
I agree with other posters that I can only see Atkins/bridge as good as him right now.
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Agreed. Daz was virtually written off and was the forgotten man for much of last year.Has emerged a far better player and proved the doubters very wrong. A class act.
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Agreed. Daz was virtually written off and was the forgotten man for much of last year.Has emerged a far better player and proved the doubters very wrong. A class act.