Magic weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
100% Warrior

Magic weekend

Post by 100% Warrior »

If the RFL is to persist with the Magic weekend then IMO things have to change:

1. Derby matches have to stop being used to bulk out the fixtures, what was a season highlight has now been turned into a chore. It comes to something when fans are bored of playing their local rival.

2. Stop playing it at massive stadiums like Millennium Stadium or Murrayfield as it looks embarassing on TV when the place isn't even half full. If they want to take it on the road to try and expand interest that's fine but not when we're made to look a laughing stock as nobody is there to watch.

3. Base the schedule using league positions following the end of the previous round. Having 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6, 7 v 8, 9 v 10, 11 v 12 & 13 v 14 is bound to offer more competitive games thus better entertainment for the crowd. It also has less chance of skewing league positions than at present when we have Wigan v Saints, Leeds v Bradford whilst the likes of the Wolves get Widnes and Cats get London.

4. Select a particular weekend and stick to it each season, fans like to know where they stand rather than one year its February, next year its May.
josie andrews

Re: Magic weekend

Post by josie andrews »

At the Magic forum on Thursday evening, a Wigan fan did bring it up about the lop sided fixtures & what it did to the give false two points to a couple of the teams.

His main comment tho was" Why do Wigan have to play St Helens again"?

Jack Dearden replied that "I can't understand why you're complaining about playing a team you always beat"!!

BTW, John Wilkin took it all in good spirit :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

On current positional standings the Saints v Wigan game is the only one that appears as a 'top end' contest :conf:
Magic Weekend ?
(11) Castleford v Wakefield (12)
( 9) Hull K R v Hull ( 5)
( 2) Warrington v Widnes (14)

( 7) Bradford v Leeds ( 8)
( 4) Catalan v London (13)
( 3) Huddersfield v Salford (10)
( 6) St Helens v Wigan ( 1)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thing is i have no problem with playing Stains 3 times in a season what irks me is our closest rivals in the big "3" always get easy matches.

Wire and Leeds both have what i would consider easy matches. This has 2 effects, 1) they are almost guaranteed 2 points, 2) they can rest players.

It would be the equivalent in football of having an extra fixture where Man U played Man City but Chelsea played Wolves and Arsenal played West Ham, its just not a fair score
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
markill

Post by markill »

I agree, but our biggest rivals include Huddersfield and Catalans who don't have to play derbies even and get easier games on paper than ours.

The problem with it being based on local derbies so having to play saints 3 times is that we're both successful clubs. We will play them in the playoffs more than likely and in the cup possibly too every year. So it isn't three games against Saints, it's more like 5, or like last year 6.

Me and my uncle were discussing the idea of a random draw. The RFL and Sky could even make an event of it. Maybe at the start of the season draw what day they would be playing (Saturday or Sunday) and then on the Thursday or Friday beforehand Sky could do a live preview show where the draw for the matches is made. Makes it exciting as coaches and teams have less time to prepare for a specific opposition.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

markill wrote:I agree, but our biggest rivals include Huddersfield and Catalans who don't have to play derbies even and get easier games on paper than ours.

The problem with it being based on local derbies so having to play saints 3 times is that we're both successful clubs. We will play them in the playoffs more than likely and in the cup possibly too every year. So it isn't three games against Saints, it's more like 5, or like last year 6.

Me and my uncle were discussing the idea of a random draw. The RFL and Sky could even make an event of it. Maybe at the start of the season draw what day they would be playing (Saturday or Sunday) and then on the Thursday or Friday beforehand Sky could do a live preview show where the draw for the matches is made. Makes it exciting as coaches and teams have less time to prepare for a specific opposition.
I think the Magic weekend has had its run and its time to change it completely. Why not have a weekend of internation games which most of the players in super league can compete in ? example= under 23 year old english born players playing against a international team made up from the rest of uk Irland and France on Saturday. The full English squad taking on the THE Best of the rest in super league on the Sunday. This would at least give the English lads another international to learn from and the international coach another game see his players in action together
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

A change would be good, but I will enjoy this weekend all the same.

Anyone on here going?
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

Im going, we have been to every Magic weekend and loved them all.
cant do Saturday this time but will sky plus and be there for all the games on Sunday.
I know it has its knockers but ive always thought it was a great concept.As for those who think its rubbish have you been?
cumbria_warrior

I have been last few years and really enjoyed it. The Mrs goes shopping and joins me for the wigan game. Good weekend and hopefully this year be a bit warmer
cumbria_warrior

Well all set ready for a great weekend of rugby. Are many off here going today ? Be great to meet a few