Is this what we can expect this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ancient&Loyal

Is this what we can expect this season

Post by Ancient&Loyal »

I've just got home from Wakefield and probably should wait until the morning before I blast off but what the hell.
I've just watched my beloved Wigan get turned over by Wakefield yes Wakefield. Ok if Danny Tickle had kicked the goals he missed we would have won but he didn't. That said I have to complain about our performance and I am really worried that we are going to end up a mid table side or even worse. I was brought up watching in the era when it was almost impossible to beat Wigan. I watched the team of the late 80's up to the mid ninety's steam roll through people and maybe i've been spoiled and only ever known Wigan as the best. I look at the team today and wonder whats happened. I think that there are players on our team who are so average it's hard to see how they can play in super league at all. I'm going to name and shame these people who I think should never have been allowed to wear the cherry and white of Wigan. Before I do I want you all who read this to understand it's nothing personal and i'm sure that they are all good people but we have become an average team who play average rugby at best. I also think that it showed tonight that Andy Farrell is the reason that we got into the paly-offs last season. One man team yes probably.

Players who are just not Wigan Class.
Martin Aspinwall
Steven Wild
Danny Orr
Danny Tickle
David Vaialeki (sorry for the spelling mistake)
Harrison Hansen

Players who Wigan should consider getting rid of as they are always injured
Danny Sculthorpe
Brian Carney

I think that if Wigan are to progress we must have a mass clear out and start again.

Oh and another point I think that we off loaded the wrong half back Danny Orr should have been sold and not Luke Robinson.

Get mad if you want to and respond, but think about how bad we looked tonight and then tell me that your not worried to.
Sometimes rugby really hurts.
The Black Pearl

Re: Is this what we can expect...

Post by The Black Pearl »

Here Here. The lack of a leader on the Wigan team is so evident. I never thought I would see the day when we dropped to the level we are at now.

I worry about playing teams like Huddersfield away etc Oh No
Pain is temporary pride is forever
Welsh Warrior

Post by Welsh Warrior »

Cool head Ancient and Loyal. There are a lot of us out there who are extremely angry and disappointed. Wakefield have never beaten us in Super League until tonight. So that record is out of the way. It had to happen one day and it has. So let's forget about it. All I hear from Sky Sports is Wakefield have done really well as they are missing Sid Domic. Whooppee. What about the players we are missing? And there are a few. I think your critiscism of Vaeliki is a little unjust. All I can say is let McNally bring his boys to the JJB later in the season. I really think they will be in for a rough ride. They really had something to play for tonight after we beat them in the play offs. Bring them to the JJB.
Ancient&Loyal

Re: Is this what we can ex...

Post by Ancient&Loyal »

Yes your right the lack of a leader is a massive problem. But there's only so much a leader can do he can't carry a further 6 or seven poor players. We need a major shake up at the club. I could go as far and say from the top down. Sorry Denis yor times up.
Sometimes rugby really hurts.
mario

Post by mario »

Ancient&Loyal posted:
Yes your right the lack of a leader is a massive problem. But there's only so much a leader can do he can't carry a further 6 or seven poor players. We need a major shake up at the club. I could go as far and say from the top down. Sorry Denis yor times up.
Denis can only do his best of the rubbish that Mo brings in.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

True, but it's a bit early to make judgements yet. One prop, no captain and no wingers is not exactly an ideal start. Moran was poor, yes, but playing behind a beaten pack. Godwin did ok when he came on, Jerry did ok apart from a couple of silly penalties, and Vaialiki was massively better than last week; Scored one, made another with a perfect centre's offload, and looked good in defence.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Ancient & Loyal got to agree with some of your points. If tonights game is anything to go by we may be in trouble. It was a long drive home. I think we should have go rid of Mo Lindsay before letting Luke go to Salford. Think that Dennis is doing a good job with what he has got. We have definitely got to do better than we have done in the first two games. We should have murdered Salford last week.

As for Faz if he is to go, he is to go and we will have to look forward and not backwards. But keep the faith brothers and sisters :(
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

Ancient&Loyal posted:
I've just got home from Wakefield and probably should wait until the morning before I blast off but what the hell.
I've just watched my beloved Wigan get turned over by Wakefield yes Wakefield. Ok if Danny Tickle had kicked the goals he missed we would have won but he didn't. That said I have to complain about our performance and I am really worried that we are going to end up a mid table side or even worse. I was brought up watching in the era when it was almost impossible to beat Wigan. I watched the team of the late 80's up to the mid ninety's steam roll through people and maybe i've been spoiled and only ever known Wigan as the best. I look at the team today and wonder whats happened. I think that there are players on our team who are so average it's hard to see how they can play in super league at all. I'm going to name and shame these people who I think should never have been allowed to wear the cherry and white of Wigan. Before I do I want you all who read this to understand it's nothing personal and i'm sure that they are all good people but we have become an average team who play average rugby at best. I also think that it showed tonight that Andy Farrell is the reason that we got into the paly-offs last season. One man team yes probably.

Players who are just not Wigan Class.
Martin Aspinwall
Steven Wild
Danny Orr
Danny Tickle
David Vaialeki (sorry for the spelling mistake)
Harrison Hansen

Players who Wigan should consider getting rid of as they are always injured
Danny Sculthorpe
Brian Carney

I think that if Wigan are to progress we must have a mass clear out and start again.

Oh and another point I think that we off loaded the wrong half back Danny Orr should have been sold and not Luke Robinson.

Get mad if you want to and respond, but think about how bad we looked tonight and then tell me that your not worried to.
Calm down we played bad but look at the positives. Even if there wernt alot. Youve got to give Dave V time to settle in and he had a fairly good game. I personally think asppy had a good game tonight he took alot of ball up. Stephan Wild didnt have his best game but hes a decent player.
Some other positives from tonights game were the performances of three individuals firstly Liam Colborn he looked like hed been playing at this level for years! Kris Radlinski well a real captains display some brilliant defence and his running was strong. Gareth Hock had a stormer his hard hitting and his stong angle running payed off he really deserved his try.
Now come on get rid of Carney and Scully dont think so!!! Them two are our core really. Carneys speed and Scullys running we miss that. Finally we have some players to come back next week which will be a big help and hopefully another forward!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I'm not optimistic about next week, I have to say. I get the feeling the Bulls pack will do the same to us as Wakey did tonight. Hope Scully's back, we're gonna need him!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Next week we should have 3 props Jerry, Danny and Guisett. Remeber Wakefield did the Bulls only last week at odsal.

Give the players a break they were ok but the lack of bulk will cost us.