Wigan and Saints eye Smith

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan and Saints eye Smith

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are involved in a tug-of-war with arch rivals St Helens for the signature of Salford City Reds scrum-half Matty Smith.

The 24-year-old former Saints half-back has become one of the most sought-after players in Stobart Super League after discovering the best form of his career with the Reds this season.

He is out of contract at the end of the year and has offers on the table from Wigan, St Helens and Widnes Vikings, as well as Salford, whose coach Phil Veivers is resigned to losing his services.

“I’m pretty sure he’s made his decision and I don’t think it will be with us,” said Veivers.

“He’s four offers on the table, including Wigan and Saints, who I am pretty sure will be chasing trophies.”

Smith began his career with his home-town team St Helens in 2006 but, after four years of playing understudy to Sean Long and being loaned out to Widnes and Celtic Crusaders, he made the break two years ago and joined Salford.

His form for the Reds has caught the eye of Nathan Brown, who will coach Saints from next season, but Wigan are also in the market to find a replacement for scrum-half Thomas Leuluai, who is returning to New Zealand at the end of the year.

Wigan may have to find two new half-backs with Brett Finch yet to sign a new contract and they are being linked once more with a move for Castleford Tigers’ reigning Man of Steel Rangi Chase.

Meanwhile, Veivers is confident Smith can maintain his excellent form for the Reds, starting with the visit of third-placed Catalan Dragons to the City of Salford Stadium tomorrow.

“I thought he had a dip in form for a couple of weeks while every man and his dog were chasing him,” Veivers added.

“But he’s feeling comfortable with the decision he’s made. He’s a bit more relaxed and can concentrate on his football now.

“I was happy with the offer we made to Matty. I’ve spoken in depth with him. I respect his decision and now we’ve got to move on.”

Smith will not be the only departure from Barton at the end of the year with full-back Luke Patten retiring and threequarters Sean Gleeson and Danny Williams being linked with moves to Hull KR and Bradford Bulls respectively.

“There’s going to be some shuffling about but all I’m concentrating at the moment is tomorrow’s game,” said Veivers.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/25 ... -eye-smith
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan and Saints eye Smith

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote:Wigan Warriors are involved in a tug-of-war with arch rivals St Helens for the signature of Salford City Reds scrum-half Matty Smith.

The 24-year-old former Saints half-back has become one of the most sought-after players in Stobart Super League after discovering the best form of his career with the Reds this season.

He is out of contract at the end of the year and has offers on the table from Wigan, St Helens and Widnes Vikings, as well as Salford, whose coach Phil Veivers is resigned to losing his services.

“I’m pretty sure he’s made his decision and I don’t think it will be with us,” said Veivers.

“He’s four offers on the table, including Wigan and Saints, who I am pretty sure will be chasing trophies.”

Smith began his career with his home-town team St Helens in 2006 but, after four years of playing understudy to Sean Long and being loaned out to Widnes and Celtic Crusaders, he made the break two years ago and joined Salford.

His form for the Reds has caught the eye of Nathan Brown, who will coach Saints from next season, but Wigan are also in the market to find a replacement for scrum-half Thomas Leuluai, who is returning to New Zealand at the end of the year.

Wigan may have to find two new half-backs with Brett Finch yet to sign a new contract and they are being linked once more with a move for Castleford Tigers’ reigning Man of Steel Rangi Chase.

Meanwhile, Veivers is confident Smith can maintain his excellent form for the Reds, starting with the visit of third-placed Catalan Dragons to the City of Salford Stadium tomorrow.

“I thought he had a dip in form for a couple of weeks while every man and his dog were chasing him,” Veivers added.

“But he’s feeling comfortable with the decision he’s made. He’s a bit more relaxed and can concentrate on his football now.

“I was happy with the offer we made to Matty. I’ve spoken in depth with him. I respect his decision and now we’ve got to move on.”

Smith will not be the only departure from Barton at the end of the year with full-back Luke Patten retiring and threequarters Sean Gleeson and Danny Williams being linked with moves to Hull KR and Bradford Bulls respectively.

“There’s going to be some shuffling about but all I’m concentrating at the moment is tomorrow’s game,” said Veivers.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/25 ... -eye-smith
So he has made the decision to move from Salford it's just up to the relevant club to break the news!!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Given that Saints tend to announce new signings as soon as they happen, and Wigan prefer to try and keep things quiet, I wonder if he's signed for us.
Apparently he's signed for someone, but there's been no announcement yet, which would fit in exactly with Lenegans stance on keeping quiet on such things.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sutty wrote:Given that Saints tend to announce new signings as soon as they happen, and Wigan prefer to try and keep things quiet, I wonder if he's signed for us.
Apparently he's signed for someone, but there's been no announcement yet, which would fit in exactly with Lenegans stance on keeping quiet on such things.
According to a certain local news reporter it's a 'done deal'!!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

It's got to be right then. :eusa18:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

platt-warrior wrote:It's got to be right then. :eusa18:
:lol: :lol:
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

josie andrews wrote:
Sutty wrote:Given that Saints tend to announce new signings as soon as they happen, and Wigan prefer to try and keep things quiet, I wonder if he's signed for us.
According to a certain local news reporter it's a 'done deal'!!!
platt-warrior wrote:It's got to be right then. :eusa18:
Surely we have to wait for some form of denial from the club before we know he's going to be a Wigan player?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Ok wigan catagorically deny Smith is going to saints.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »