Past Thread Dredging

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Past Thread Dredging

Post by cpwigan »

Personally, it matter not to me as I am usually proven correct mosty of the time.

BUT

People dredging such threads up should remember;

1) A RL club is dynamic and the make up of that club/team changes dramatically in a short periodd of time. So a player or individual can be viewed positively or negatively over a period of time dependent upon what is happening at that club.

2) An individual player is a sum of the whole part (the team). Hence, whilst nobody ever thought Ian Potter was amazing, Ellery Hanley et al did. Likewise, Wigan 2012 has a Hock / Hansen combination and what they do together for the team is equally important. Yes, Hocky gets the plaudits but we need both etc.

People often use Dennis Moran. He was great with Terry Matterson / Peter Gill playmaking whilst he had a free reign. Tommy and Finchy works well together becausde they compliment each other whilst Lockers adds to the balance as do Sam T / Hocky.

A team is a balance.

So views from some may look odd at different times unless you are Gary Schofield and/or an idiot.
MiThor

Re: Past Thread Dredging

Post by MiThor »

cpwigan wrote:Personally, it matter not to me as I am usually proven correct mosty of the time.

BUT

People dredging such threads up should remember;

1) A RL club is dynamic and the make up of that club/team changes dramatically in a short periodd of time. So a player or individual can be viewed positively or negatively over a period of time dependent upon what is happening at that club.

2) An individual player is a sum of the whole part (the team). Hence, whilst nobody ever thought Ian Potter was amazing, Ellery Hanley et al did. Likewise, Wigan 2012 has a Hock / Hansen combination and what they do together for the team is equally important. Yes, Hocky gets the plaudits but we need both etc.

People often use Dennis Moran. He was great with Terry Matterson / Peter Gill playmaking whilst he had a free reign. Tommy and Finchy works well together becausde they compliment each other whilst Lockers adds to the balance as do Sam T / Hocky.

A team is a balance.

So views from some may look odd at different times unless you are Gary Schofield and/or an idiot.

CP, whilst i value your input, along with all the other contributors on this site, I feel I must take exception with you comparing Gary Scofield to an idiot,
I find that remark very offensive to the idiot, and believe you should apologise to all idiots, we have feelings you know
butt monkey

Re: Past Thread Dredging

Post by butt monkey »

I agree entirely Cp

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but to dredge up old threads where players originally under-performed (and hence deserved their criticism) is done/in order to prove - what exactly?

I still stand that Leuluai's form as a scrum half since Wigan signed him has been poor. His emergence came with Wayne Bennett choosing to utilize him as an hooker and his form drastically improved whilst used at Wigan in that similar role. Defensively brilliant, though with a poor kicking game, poor support player and only average playmaking would never see him as one of MY personal favourite Wigan players.

Nevertheless I cannot argue with his current form which does see him as THE stand out half back in the current competition. Whether this is down to the way Wigan practice/train/play etc or more down to him suddenly becoming a superstar scrum half after 7 years at the club - I have no idea.

It does make me think if the rumoured signing of Smith is correct then he should fit "hand in glove" to Wigan's structured play and fulfill a very similar role to that of Thomas's
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!