Wane Delighted with Win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane Delighted with Win

Post by josie andrews »

Speaking after a tough game in the South of France on Saturday Wigan Coach Shaun Wane said he was delighted with the 36-14 victory.

"I'm very very happy with that" he said.

"We've come through a block of 6 tough games and coming through today, having been up against it with the sin binning, losing Gil to injury and the hot weather, I'm a very happy man.

"We've had injuries and suspensions during this run of fixtures and called on a lot of young kids. For them to step up and become men is great experience for them and I'm so proud of them. The spirit here is fantastic; it's as good as I've ever known it.

"I've no complaints about the sin binning and we had a lot of composure with the ball; I think our completion was about 94%."

Michael McIlorum was again fantastic, with Shaun adding,

"If there is a better hooker in the comp I'd like to see him! I've known him for 15 years and he's been brilliant for me."

Gil Dudson was carried from the field with 10 minutes to go and Shaun confirmed the Welsh Prop Forward has damaged ankle ligaments.

"Gil has done something to his ankle ligaments" Wane said. "If he's snapped it he could be out for 5 months, but we'll wait and see. He's come in and done a great job for us."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wane Delighted with Win

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Win in Montpellier

Catalans Dragons 14

Tries: Penalty Try, Dureau

Goals: Dureau (3)

Wigan Warriors 36

Tries: Tuson, Gelling, Charnley, Carmont (2), S Tomkins, Hughes

Goals: Charnley (2), S Tomkins (2)

Wigan recorded an impressive and hard-fought 36-14 victory over the Catalans Dragons on Saturday afternoon.

It was a game which Wigan appeared to dominate for long spells, but the French resistance meant the game was never safe until the final minute when Jack Hughes scored the seventh try of the afternoon.

The Warriors travelled to the South of France for the second ever Super League game in Montpellier, and the first at the impressive Stade de La Mosson, home of recently crowned French football champions Montpellier HSC.

After two days of overcast weather and thunderstorms, the clouds had cleared for the game with beautiful sunshine and 30 degree heat.

The game was played in front of a vocal crowd with over 1,000 Wiganers making the trip to support the Cherry & Whites, with the visitors going home the happier.

The teams came into the game on the back of contrasting previous results; Wigan putting 50 past Leeds whilst Catalans suffered a shock defeat at Salford, however the Dragons welcomed a host of stars back into the team including Clint Greenshields, Damien Blanch and Setaimata Sa. For the Warriors Chris Tuson and Lee Mossop returned after serving one-match suspensions.

A tough and tight opening saw just two points coming from the boot of Scott Dureau after a penalty for offside. A second penalty on 10 minutes lead to Gil Dudson's dubious sin binning for contacting the kicker late but the Warriors struck immediately with two tries, firstly as quick hands put Lee Mossop through a gap with the prop finding Finch, then Leuluai and Tuson in support before for the latter to score to the left of the posts.

The second came from Anthony Gelling as the big winger collected a ricocheted kick to bump off two would-be tacklers and spin out of the arms of the full back to score. Charnley added one conversion to make the score 2-10 after 16 minutes.

Just two minutes later the home side were awarded a controversial penalty try as Brett Finch was claimed to have taken out a player whilst both attempted to collect a grubber kick following a Dragons break down the right wing.

The intensity was high throughout as ferocious defence came to the fore before Wigan wrapped up the first half scoring as two quick penalties for offside gave Wigan the platform to move the ball right with Sam Tomkins - just recovered after a high tackle by Sa moments earlier - sending Charnley in at the corner with a miss pass to make it 8-14 at the break.

Wigan looked lively for the opening of the second half and extended their lead to 8-16 through a Charnley penalty goal before fantastic hands saw five quick offloads send George Carmont over the whitewash. Charnley this time missed the kick; 8-20 after 52 minutes.

Just 8 minutes later the Warriors scored again as Brett Finch's inside pass rebounded off the Dragons cover defender, Jack Hughes collecting the ball, beating a man and offloading to George Carmont who ran in his second try. Charnley again missed the kick, 8-24 after 60 minutes.

An enforced stoppage saw Gil Dudson carried from the field and just moments later some rare indiscipline from Lee Mossop saw the prop caught offside, with Dureau taking a quick tap and racing through a cluster of offside defenders to score under the posts. 14-24 after 70 minutes.

The game was getting heated as Wigan surrendered another penalty from the kick off, Micky McIlorum this time for a high shot. As the game simmered close to boiling point Thomas Leulaui darted on the shortside before putting Sam through the smallest of gaps for him to elude Greenshields and the scrambling defenders to score under the sticks. The ferocity came out again after the try as both teams squared up after the try and Catalans continued to press until Jack Hughes scored Wigan's seventh try in the final minute to seal victory and kept Wigan at the top of the competition going into International Origin break.

Catalans Dragons: Greenshields, Blanch, Sa, Duport, Millard, Pryce, Dureau, Ferriol, Henderson, Casty, Menzies, Anderson, Baitieri

Subs: Mounis, Raguin, Paea, Fisher

Wigan Warriors: S Tomkins, Charnley, Goulding, Carmont, Gelling, Finch, Leuluai, Dudson, McIlorum, Mossop, Farrell, Tuson, O'Loughlin

Subs: Lima, Lauaki, Hughes, L Tomkins

Referee: Mr J. Child

Attendance:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

It was identified on here how difficult this recent period was going to be and a very testing time for the coaching staff and squad to boot.
A period with very tough opposition all played away from home is now completed with a 100% winning record.
3 points clear of teams now played the same amount of games.
Well done Shaun Wane, Iestyn Harris, Paul Deacon, Mark Bitcon, Kris Radlinski and the full squad of players.
You make us really proud to be Wigan supporters. :eusa2: :eusa2:
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Just for the record, I'm very pleased with the win too.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Panchitta Marra wrote:It was identified on here how difficult this recent period was going to be and a very testing time for the coaching staff and squad to boot.
A period with very tough opposition all played away from home is now completed with a 100% winning record.
Well done Shaun Wane, Iestyn Harris, Paul Deacon, Mark Bitcon, Kris Radlinski and the full squad of players.
Retweet
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:It was identified on here how difficult this recent period was going to be and a very testing time for the coaching staff and squad to boot.
Retweet
Retweeted :D