8 in a row: your thoughts?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

8 in a row: your thoughts?

Post by ancientnloyal »

As we know, we're famed by our 8-in-a-row success. What are your thoughts on the achievement? Memoirs can include anything in the period between 1988-95 be it finals, players or non-events like 27-0.

43 games
8 years
8 finals
8 wins
209 tries
197 goals
13 drop goals (1 by offiah)
a 2-0
a 27-0!

Would like to know a view from people who were there and also those who weren't around in that time (you youngsters out there). Your memories may feature on wiganrugbypast.co.uk soon. :)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Dobby

Re: 8 in a row: your thoughts?

Post by Dobby »

Apart from the things you mention the semi final against Bradford always sticks in my mind, 71-10 I think it was. We were just so far ahead in every department and it was just an awesome display with Gene Miles giving probably the best centre performance I have ever seen.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

2-0 Bradford match, can't remember what year but Lydon got the points and it bladdered it down!
Sat in front of Gilly when Lydon scored that drop goal at Maine Road, he gave me a right good shakin!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The bradford game started it all, January '88. I would have just turned 4 so I haven't a clue what happened in the Cup until perhaps Warrington final or a hazey image of andy platt covered in blood - v Saints 89? I remember the semi at Burnden Park a Northern fan ripped up his hand flag and started to cheer on Wigan. Offiah tore them apart that day.

There are the obvious topics to talk about but anyone have less known memories also?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

The snow at Fax, can't remember year again, but we nearly go potted!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 2nd half comeback v Hull approx 20pts down and Edwards sat on the bench IIRC.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

1989. Our coach was parked next to one from Stains. When we got back on the song on the radio was Fairground Attraction with Perfect. We regaled our neighbours with gusto!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Burnden Park was always a happy hunting ground in the CC. The Miles / Offiah show and the Gilly picking a mud covered Edwards up on his shoulder after scoring are 2 great memories
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

Dobby wrote:Apart from the things you mention the semi final against Bradford always sticks in my mind, 71-10 I think it was. We were just so far ahead in every department and it was just an awesome display with Gene Miles giving probably the best centre performance I have ever seen.
But it started with a drop goal (Andy Gregory?)
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dobby wrote:Apart from the things you mention the semi final against Bradford always sticks in my mind, 71-10 I think it was. We were just so far ahead in every department and it was just an awesome display with Gene Miles giving probably the best centre performance I have ever seen.
I was at that game. Alex Murphy was reporting from the touchline giving us the immortal line “Ray, if this was a boxing match, it would have been stopped by now!”!