Sam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cumbria_warrior

Sam

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Strange statement to make if it is true regarding england being priority over wigan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true
exile in Tiger country

Re: Sam

Post by exile in Tiger country »

If it's a statement he has made, then wait until he tries to get some brass out of the bank, and whhen he queries his lack of pay with Wigan, they should tell him to check with the RFL, 'cause apparently you're "an England player first, and a Wigan player second"
Apalling statement to make if it's true.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
wigan/pier

Post by wigan/pier »

Maybe it's Sam's way of trying to get the boo boys off his back?
If we don't ask questions we turn into sheep...and I don't trust the shepherds.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Every Australian will put Country before Club that is why they are the best, I agree that Country should come first but and a big but not in this current regime of RFL and McNamara combined. Sam is proud to be English and wants to represent his country, that doesn't mean that he will give nothing less than 100% for Wigan every second he plays for this wonderful club.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
OJ

Post by OJ »

I remember the first time he was selected and they weren't sure what position to play him in and Sam said he would play at prop for England. His statement doesn't mean he doesn't love playing for Wigan as we all know he does it just means he is a proud Englishman and I don't see anything wrong in that and in actual fact it is quite refreshing in such a young man, good on yer Sam . :eusa2:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I may be guessing here, but looking at where this report is, ie national press and the Guardian at that a true Rugby League loving paper :doz: I wonder in what context was Sam asked the question to get that quote? Whilst he is with The England squad at Loughborough getting ready for tonights match, I would expect that to be the attitude of all the England players, meaning we are here to represent England and which club we come from is largely irrelevant, we are here to build a team, Team England and for this weekend that is our focus, not club rivalries

Now personally I would prefer no Wigan players to be anywhere near Mcbanana and his clowns, but there is nothing I can do about that, but I would love to see a strong National presence on the International scene.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Playing international is the pinnacle of Rugby League and what a shock a player has actual pride in playing for it. As for the remark about going to the bank Every sports star should play for his country for free.

Then again for some Wigan is the world and nothing else exists.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:That's the mentality he's supposed to have. It's just a shame other players and particularly the fans don't seem to share that view.
Quite right.

I'm not criticising anyone who doesn't put country before club rugby because I don't either and I can't think of many fans who do, but it shouldn't be that way.
Perhaps what he says will go some way to convince the fans that we need a strong Internaitonal game. If there isn't one then it will lead to defections to RU where there is.
I would hazard a guess that to players in any other sport country comes first, so I'm not surprised that Sam is the same.
It's the natural order of things in sport in most of the world. It is a great pity a lot of what has happened since the ARL/NRL war and the dawn of SL has conspired against it in RL. Pre all that test matches and test series v Oz were big deals.

60,000 on at Wembley, full houses at Old Trafford and Elland Road. 25,000 on at Central Park to watch Wigan play the Aussie touring side.

People who look back and saying it was better in my day are often accused of viewing the past through rose tinted specs. Well anyone who doesn't think what we had back then as far as International RL goes wasn't miles better than what we have now has a screw loose.

God knows how we get back to that state but Sam's views should wake people up to the fact that is what we need to aim for.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

DaveO wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:That's the mentality he's supposed to have. It's just a shame other players and particularly the fans don't seem to share that view.
Quite right.

I'm not criticising anyone who doesn't put country before club rugby because I don't either and I can't think of many fans who do, but it shouldn't be that way.
Perhaps what he says will go some way to convince the fans that we need a strong Internaitonal game. If there isn't one then it will lead to defections to RU where there is.
I would hazard a guess that to players in any other sport country comes first, so I'm not surprised that Sam is the same.
It's the natural order of things in sport in most of the world. It is a great pity a lot of what has happened since the ARL/NRL war and the dawn of SL has conspired against it in RL. Pre all that test matches and test series v Oz were big deals.

60,000 on at Wembley, full houses at Old Trafford and Elland Road. 25,000 on at Central Park to watch Wigan play the Aussie touring side.

People who look back and saying it was better in my day are often accused of viewing the past through rose tinted specs. Well anyone who doesn't think what we had back then as far as International RL goes wasn't miles better than what we have now has a screw loose.

God knows how we get back to that state but Sam's views should wake people up to the fact that is what we need to aim for.
I must still be drunk....I agree with Daveo
BriH

Post by BriH »

Me too!! And my memory of those halcyon days probably goes further back than DaveO.
There was a time when pulling on a GB shirt meant something. Now, I'm afraid, it's lost it's appeal. Although the GB concept has now been diluted.
The one thing that differentiated us from the RaRa boys internationally was that:we were Great Britain.
Nothing against 'England' but we immediately compete with England aka RU.
I remember the Aussie tourists playing against my home club Whitehaven and beating them!! Full house and still in the memory of those that care passionately about The Greatest Game.
Maybe, just maybe, Sam is trying to raise the England profile.