Well if that doesn't make the case for Sam at 6 with TL out nothing will.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Well if that doesn't make the case for Sam at 6 with TL out nothing will.

Post by DaveO »

Tonight showed us what most people have always felt and that is Lockers isn't a 6. He's probably even less up to it now than when he was younger as he clearly didn't have the pace to make the breaks you would expect.

The linking with the outside backs was very poor and I don't think George got a pass all night.

Anyone from Leeds watching that game will be pretty happy with Lockers at 6 if that is how we line up in the semi-final.

This is not a dig at Lockers. He is still the best 13 in the league by quite some distance and his defence in the pack is a huge loss when he isn't there. Rather we need someone who can trouble the defences at 6 as Finch can't do it on his own. It's too much to ask a youngster to come in and play 6 in the semi-final so this has got to be the time we play Sam at 6.

DaveO

Re: Well if that doesn't make the case for Sam at 6...

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote: Moving Tomkins from fullback still should not be the first option though. He's still the best attacking player in Super League from fullback so we should be looking to keep him there if it's possible.
I think sometimes people would rather play my Granny at 6 than move Tomkins and she's been dead 43 years.

I would say Murphy looked more comfortable at 1 than Lockers did at 6 tonight to the extent 6 is the problem position to fill - not 1.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
DaveO wrote:I think sometimes people would rather play my Granny at 6 than move Tomkins and she's been dead 43 years.

I would say Murphy looked more comfortable at 1 than Lockers did at 6 tonight to the extent 6 is the problem position to fill - not 1.
I agree, I just think that playing a halfback in the halves and Tomkins at fullback should be number one priority, rather than moving Tomkins from his best position.
I didn't think we had a half back (other than Sam) either fit or ready.
Murphy has certainly shown that he's a good enough option though and I wouldn't be disappointed to see Tomkins back in the halves.
It's got to be worth trying next week. I really don't think we will do well in the cup semi if we keep Lockers at 6.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I can't see Sam being moved back to 6 and don't think the UKs top FB should play there just because the UKs best LF isn't that flexible.

Its a HB problem and needs to be fixed from our HB solutions. Williams, Mellor or Powell.

And I'm not overexcited at the prospect of Logan starting in place of a banned Micky McStupid. Carberry would be my choice!
MIKE14

Post by MIKE14 »

Let me think, only having 4 becoming 3 by the second half first pick backs playing, so many forwards out to count and we played the last 20 mins or so with 12 men. Hock dropped the ball or threw it away seemingly every time he had it, Eric went for the obvious penalty of the season a couple of times when he wasn't dropping the ball in possession, first half the wrong option or dropped pass meant at least 2 tries were bombed, our defence was as shambolic as the ref for the Bradford try on half time.....
No it was Lockers playing at 6 tonight where it all went tits up, silly me its as obvious as the nose on my ear now i really think about it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MIKE14 wrote: No it was Lockers playing at 6 tonight where it all went tits up, silly me its as obvious as the nose on my ear now i really think about it.
No one has suggested it was Lockers fault we lost. We can still debate if he is the best option for playing six. Which in my opinion (and of others) he isn't. This match just reinforced that opinion.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:I can't see Sam being moved back to 6 and don't think the UKs top FB should play there just because the UKs best LF isn't that flexible.

Its a HB problem and needs to be fixed from our HB solutions. Williams, Mellor or Powell.
Given Murphy looked OK at 1 and I suggest none of those three are our HB solutions what is the alternative?

(Mellor looks to be staying at Widnes. Williams hasn't played a SL game and is off on tour to Oz anyway (I think) and Powell has been a long term injury case).

MIKE14

Post by MIKE14 »

My point being Mr Wane has much more serious problems to worry about than SOL at 6.
Superman (or Sam) at 6, SOL at 13 and Murphy at 1 would not have changed tonight's result.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MIKE14 wrote:My point being Mr Wane has much more serious problems to worry about than SOL at 6.
Superman (or Sam) at 6, SOL at 13 and Murphy at 1 would not have changed tonight's result.
How do you know? I think we would be a darn sight better balanced a side were that option have been available to him tonight. And in any case he can play Sam at 6 instead of Lockers because they are both available. Given Lockers is lacking at 6 and Tommy is injured the case is greater than it ever was given the alternatives.

The other things he as to worry about aren't going to get fixed by him worrying. The injuries will take how ever long they take to heal. It's up to Wane to make the best of what he's got in the meantime and if he sticks with Lockers at 6 he won't be doing that IMO. And not just because he isn't a 6 but because we need him at 13.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I'm not worried in the slightest because as far as I'm concerned we are going to be getting out big guns back at the right time of the season, Madge imo should have rested players mid season last year but didn't and it was the downfall of us. Mickey don't mess with me Mac will have a week off, Sam rested yesterday, Hanson back soon, Richards back soon, hopefully Tommy back soon. The Lockers at 6 debate always comes up if we lose when he plays there but believe me we are in a better place physically this year as we were this time last year. Plus Bradford had a point to prove last night and would've turned anyone over, it was one of those nights, hence Salford destroying Wire.
Up The Mont!